Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I tried searching but apparently I suck, finding any threads regarding a set of good replacement ignition coils... I was wondering if there was a set of performance coils available, or if the factory coils are the best option. Im hitting 95K on my 2014 5.7, so a tune-up is in order. The colder weather seems to make the truck "sound" a little more rough than usual, and the mpgs are steadily dropping with the "winter mix" fuel. Im going to stick with the factory plugs, so I may just end up biting the bullet and going for factory coils, but I just want to get the best bang for the buck. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

John

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Why would you replace coils, without knowing they are bad?

Have not seen any coil issues that I remember of on here.

The factory coils handle forced induction, without any issues...

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
The interval for plugs is 120K miles, so they don't need to be replaced yet. If you still want to go ahead with it, go with Denso IKH-20
It is the exact factory replacement, but at half the cost of the same plugs that come in little red and white Toyota boxes.

The coils do not need to be replaced ever, unless one goes bad, which is very rare on this engine. Save your money.

And as far as I know, there are no performances coils out there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys. I was taught many years ago, and continue to teach, that heat breaks down engine components, especially solid state. The coils that fail these days and the rate they fail with other manufacturers, always has me guessing as to when mine will be missing a step. My truck has never missed a service, and never been skipped on synthetic. But lately it seems louder than usual, and just running crummy. Could be the lower temperatures, but I like to cover my bases.

Thanks Again!

John

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Thank you guys. I was taught many years ago, and continue to teach, that heat breaks down engine components, especially solid state. The coils that fail these days and the rate they fail with other manufacturers, always has me guessing as to when mine will be missing a step. My truck has never missed a service, and never been skipped on synthetic. But lately it seems louder than usual, and just running crummy. Could be the lower temperatures, but I like to cover my bases.

Thanks Again!

John
Out of curiosity, what Buick do you have?

·
Premium Member
4,322 Posts
The interval for plugs is 120K miles, so they don't need to be replaced yet. If you still want to go ahead with it, go with Denso IKH-20
It is the exact factory replacement, but at half the cost of the same plugs that come in little red and white Toyota boxes.

The coils do not need to be replaced ever, unless one goes bad, which is very rare on this engine. Save your money.

And as far as I know, there are no performances coils out there.
I know the manual states 120 for plugs, but my experience has been different. I would never go that long even on the iridiums (n/a and boosted).

I would at the least, pull one or two and read them. I got my last set on amazon for pretty cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
I know the manual states 120 for plugs, but my experience has been different. I would never go that long even on the iridiums (n/a and boosted).

I would at the least, pull one or two and read them.
At my dealership, we change these plugs on NA 5.7 engines at 120K miles and I have never seen any issues with them at that mileage.
On my boosted truck, however, the ground electrodes on the plugs were completely worn out at 50K miles, so those definitely need to be changed way more often.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Out of curiosity, what Buick do you have?
84 T-Type now in resto... but lack of funds on a teacher salary has tabled the project... Engine is built with tons of goodies for 11's, but the body is due for a major makeover that lacks funding lol... Its my 5th Turbo regal, including 2 GN's and a built 87 turbo regal that I miss dearly.

Im going to pull a plug or two next week on the tundra with the students and see if they are clean. I just hit 95K this morning, so Im curious. I will clean the TB and run some chevron through the tank and see if it helps... The only major difference I have noticed is mileage... I went from around 15.8-16 down to 14.7 consistent. I know the cold weather really helps with the burn, but I dont let my truck idle in the mornings... Could just be the winter fuel. Exhaust was good a couple weeks ago. I only have a gibson cat-back system and I always make the students check the clamps and hangers because they always suck. Manifolds look good, no missing studs or nuts. TB could be suspect as I have a K&N cold air kit on it for 2 years now. I clean it every 4-5 Oil changes, but maybe its gunking up the valve. Thanks for the tips!

I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
84 T-Type now in resto... but lack of funds on a teacher salary has tabled the project... Engine is built with tons of goodies for 11's, but the body is due for a major makeover that lacks funding lol... Its my 5th Turbo regal, including 2 GN's and a built 87 turbo regal that I miss dearly.

Im going to pull a plug or two next week on the tundra with the students and see if they are clean. I just hit 95K this morning, so Im curious. I will clean the TB and run some chevron through the tank and see if it helps... The only major difference I have noticed is mileage... I went from around 15.8-16 down to 14.7 consistent. I know the cold weather really helps with the burn, but I dont let my truck idle in the mornings... Could just be the winter fuel. Exhaust was good a couple weeks ago. I only have a gibson cat-back system and I always make the students check the clamps and hangers because they always suck. Manifolds look good, no missing studs or nuts. TB could be suspect as I have a K&N cold air kit on it for 2 years now. I clean it every 4-5 Oil changes, but maybe its gunking up the valve. Thanks for the tips!

I'll keep you posted!

Cool. I currently have an 87 GN. Not stock by any means, but body needs a lot of attention.

Might want to inspect the maf sensor. Oil type filters can cause issues. I am sure you know this.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.