Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all I have to give a big shout out to Platinumb. He kept recommending the idatalink Maestro as the best steering wheel interface on the market and, after hearing it enough, I contacted him for one. After a very easy transaction he had one on the way. He even pre-programmed it and sent vehicle specific instructions with it. I received it in less than a week.
Text Line Design Parallel Diagram

This is what comes in the box. The unit itself, a wiring harness to connect to the truck wiring, a wire harness to plug into the wired remote port on the head unit, and a USB cable to connect to the computer to program it.
Electronics Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory Cable

Mine was pre-programmed but I wanted to take a look at how easy the programming would be. You go to idatalink's website and click on the button for Maestro. You then need to create a free account and it will let you choose your vehicle (hint: there are no Tundras listed for 2007-2010 but the controls are all the same as the 2011 so use that option). The web interface is very easy to use and includes pictures for options. Next you choose your steering wheel from pictures of the different steering wheel options (they literally have pictures of the actual steering wheels like you're viewing it from the driver's seat). Then you get to a screen to program the buttons. It has choices for each of the buttons on your steering wheel and you simply choose the functions for press once and press and hold from the drop down choices. Press the button to flash it and it's ready to go. From the same page you can also print out the vehicle specific install instructions and a handy wallet card if you can't remember what functions you programmed to each button.
Text Technology Font Screenshot Electronic device

Install was pretty straight forward. There are only five wires to connect plus the wired remote plug to the back of the deck. You have red and black wires that obviously go to switched power and ground, respectively. You then have 3 wires that go to wires from the A connector (20 pin connector) that used to plug in to the back of the stock head unit. The purple/red wire goes to #7 (light green) wire, the pink/red wire goes to the #8 (grey) wire, and the black/white wire goes to the #6 (brown) wire. The other wires in the harness are not used. All three wires needed from the truck harness are three wires next to each other on the top row of the connector and are very easy to spot since there is only one other wire on the top row of the connector and it is all by itself on the left side (if that's about as clear as mud, you'll see what I'm talking about when you are looking at your own truck). That's it. No resistors, no wires running to multiple other wires, very easy. I was replacing a Pac SWI-RC so it litterally took me longer to take my dash apart than it did to install the Maestro. I didn't take any picture of the actual install because nobody just wants pictures of wires but I did snap a pic of the Maestro and SWI-RC together and they're about the same size.
Electrical wiring Wire Electronics Technology Electronic device

So, this thing works awesome! No lag time, every button works including the answer and hang up phone buttons and my voice command button opens the phone menu on my deck. This is definitely the best and easiest to program and install steering wheel control interface on the market today. It is only a few dollars more expensive than the Pac SWI-RC and the ASWC depending on where you get them but well worth the price and none of the programming headaches. I would highly recommend this unit and I would highly recommend contacting Platinumb to buy it from. Oh, and I now have a slightly used Pac SWI-RC for sale that already has all of the terminals and the correct resistor on it if anybody needs a cheap steering wheel interface.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am having serious issues with a PAC right now and am considering something else. S the pre programmed option available for other makes and models? Anyone?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am having serious issues with a PAC right now and am considering something else. S the pre programmed option available for other makes and models? Anyone?
I'm sure if you PM Platinumb he could probably do it if you order from him and tell him what deck you have. Otherwise they are super easy to program.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It can be delivered to you pre programmed for whatever deck and vehicle combination you have, this thing really is better I have sold hundreds of them now and have yet to have a problem with a single one. I'm not saying that PAC and metra don't make good products the maestro is just leaps ahead in terms of technology. They are made by the same company that does the flcan and ads flash programmable remote start interface products they just decided to take the flash memory product they already build and re purpose it for steering wheel controls and it worked out very well so they put it on the market. My guess is by 2015 all of the swc interface products will be done like this. At least I hope so. The difference is the aswc and swirc are a set software that with different resistors and the little dial on the side of it are able to communicate with many different radios and vehicles but with the maestro it is programmed with a computer and in that process the firmware on the unit is loaded specifically for your vehicle and radio so the integration is much more seamless. I am happy to read the good review and am glad it worked well for you!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
First of all I have to give a big shout out to Platinumb. He kept recommending the idatalink Maestro as the best steering wheel interface on the market and, after hearing it enough, I contacted him for one. After a very easy transaction he had one on the way. He even pre-programmed it and sent vehicle specific instructions with it. I received it in less than a week.
View attachment 68794

This is what comes in the box. The unit itself, a wiring harness to connect to the truck wiring, a wire harness to plug into the wired remote port on the head unit, and a USB cable to connect to the computer to program it.
View attachment 68802

Mine was pre-programmed but I wanted to take a look at how easy the programming would be. You go to idatalink's website and click on the button for Maestro. You then need to create a free account and it will let you choose your vehicle (hint: there are no Tundras listed for 2007-2010 but the controls are all the same as the 2011 so use that option). The web interface is very easy to use and includes pictures for options. Next you choose your steering wheel from pictures of the different steering wheel options (they literally have pictures of the actual steering wheels like you're viewing it from the driver's seat). Then you get to a screen to program the buttons. It has choices for each of the buttons on your steering wheel and you simply choose the functions for press once and press and hold from the drop down choices. Press the button to flash it and it's ready to go. From the same page you can also print out the vehicle specific install instructions and a handy wallet card if you can't remember what functions you programmed to each button.
View attachment 68818

Install was pretty straight forward. There are only five wires to connect plus the wired remote plug to the back of the deck. You have red and black wires that obviously go to switched power and ground, respectively. You then have 3 wires that go to wires from the A connector (20 pin connector) that used to plug in to the back of the stock head unit. The purple/red wire goes to #7 (light green) wire, the pink/red wire goes to the #8 (grey) wire, and the black/white wire goes to the #6 (brown) wire. The other wires in the harness are not used. All three wires needed from the truck harness are three wires next to each other on the top row of the connector and are very easy to spot since there is only one other wire on the top row of the connector and it is all by itself on the left side (if that's about as clear as mud, you'll see what I'm talking about when you are looking at your own truck). That's it. No resistors, no wires running to multiple other wires, very easy. I was replacing a Pac SWI-RC so it litterally took me longer to take my dash apart than it did to install the Maestro. I didn't take any picture of the actual install because nobody just wants pictures of wires but I did snap a pic of the Maestro and SWI-RC together and they're about the same size.
View attachment 68810

So, this thing works awesome! No lag time, every button works including the answer and hang up phone buttons and my voice command button opens the phone menu on my deck. This is definitely the best and easiest to program and install steering wheel control interface on the market today. It is only a few dollars more expensive than the Pac SWI-RC and the ASWC depending on where you get them but well worth the price and none of the programming headaches. I would highly recommend this unit and I would highly recommend contacting Platinumb to buy it from. Oh, and I now have a slightly used Pac SWI-RC for sale that already has all of the terminals and the correct resistor on it if anybody needs a cheap steering wheel interface.
That's awesome I'm glad you put pics of it up, I keep meaning to but forget to take them in the rush of working during the day.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
this is cool.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just put in a Maestro on my Tundra with a Pioneer Z140bh head unit. Set up and install was easy... everything seems to work on the radio stations... but when I try to use Pandora or listen to music off my iPhone, the steering wheel control only works for volume. It won't advance the tracks... you have to use the button on the head unit to do that. I haven't tried this using the hard wire connection yet since I'm having issues with that right now to work properly with my iPhone 5. So far I'm having this issue when connected by Bluetooth.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. I have an Android phone and my controls work perfectly with Pandora and bluetooth and everything else. PM Platinumb and he may be able to give you some insight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I thought maybe the Pioneer radios didn't accept remote input controls through Bluetooth or something but that sucks then if it doesn't work with iPhones.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Iphones are gay

Sent from my toilet.

Reactions: 2010

·
Registered
22 Posts
their website says it wont work with 2010 tundras yet org posters sig indicates he has a 2010.
I never liked my old steering wheel control so if there is a better option i am interested

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Iphones are still fagatious

Sent from my toilet.

Reactions: Cruzrtwdgt

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used wire taps and I tapped into the red and black wires from the deck harness.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Wiretaps can cut the strands of the wire, causing a bad connection. Best choice is a soldered joint, however I do use them from time to time with no issues. Just get the right size for the awg wire you are using.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 78 Posts