Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a ICON build a set of VS 2.0 series shocks for my truck. I took measurements after talking to them. I decided to go with the VS series because 1) I didn't have to worry about using the adapter that came with the RC lift, these are a direct fit to the factory location.
2) Shocks that came with the RC kit, were quite possibly the worst shocks ever made!
3) I couldn't justify the price of the remote res 2.5's they have for the 4" lifted trucks, pretty pricey, around $450 if i remember correctly. So the VS built were right in my budget.

Installation was pretty straight forward, only issue I had was trying to compress the shock a little to fit the stud into the mounting hole. My jack was maxed out so I couldn't lift the rear end up any higher. When I say rear end I am referring jacking the truck up form the hitch so that the frame goes up but wheels stay on the ground.

Have had these for about a week, I haven't tried them on the highway yet, but so far they are awesome. I went from 5100's to the RC shocks so there was quite a difference. However, the ICON's did not totally eliminate the notorious bed shake you get from going over certain bumps at about 10-20 MPH, whatever bed shake is there is perfectly acceptable compared to all the other bumps I have seen so far.

ICON was a great company to purchase through. I imagine I may have been able to save some $$$ going through a third party, but had a ton of questions about Coil overs and rear shocks, just thought I would go straight to the source. Over all I am more than happy with my purchase of the ICON Coil overs(will do review on those next) and the VS 2.0's. I may purchase the larger body shocks or remote res in the future but for now these are doing great!
Thanks Brad at ICON, you guys have a pretty awesome product.

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

ICONVS2.0.jpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How big is your lift and what kinda Icon coil overs did you go with? Got any pics?
I have the RC 6". No issues as of yet! knock on wood. ICON built some for me, I originally inquired about the 6-7" ones that work with Pro Comp and BDS, the they had me measure ride height and extended length and then put some together for me. Great! I love them so far, no complaints. I may jack them up a bit in a month or two. I just installed them last week, and it pretty much leveled the truck as it sits, just want the front a tad bit higher.

IMG_0931 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr
IMG_0930 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the RC 6". No issues as of yet! knock on wood. ICON built some for me, I originally inquired about the 6-7" ones that work with Pro Comp and BDS, the they had me measure ride height and extended length and then put some together for me. Great! I love them so far, no complaints. I may jack them up a bit in a month or two. I just installed them last week, and it pretty much leveled the truck as it sits, just want the front a tad bit higher.

IMG_0931 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr
IMG_0930 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr

The ICON CO's for the Pro Comp were about an inch longer than the ones they made, dunno why I couldn't have just ordered the ones for the Pro Comp and just turned them down a bit. oh well, I am happy with what I have for now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what did they run you if you don't mind me asking?
about $1480 to my door, you might be able to go through a 3rd party vendor, someone who carries ICON to get free shipping or better price, I just went directly to them because I was originally going to purchase the ones for the Pro Comp lift but after talking with them decided to get mine built.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Trying to see if the Icon BDS/Pro Comp coil over will work on mine, any chance I can get you to measure from the center of the bolt hole to the top of the mount?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trying to see if the Icon BDS/Pro Comp coil over will work on mine, any chance I can get you to measure from the center of the bolt hole to the top of the mount?
What lift do you have? If you want you can take the measurements you need to ICON and they will build you a set. Sorry I havn't been on in a few days, I will try and remember get it for you when I get home from work tomorrow.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the bds 4.5 kit but trying to do the math on how tall the coil overs are and how much it will actually lift it since I already installed extended length rear shocks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 6 to 7 in lift ones should work if you have the 7" BDS kit, you won't have to use the bottom brackets, dunno about the 4.5"? Shit, let me go measure, ill get a flash light.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What lift do you have? If you want you can take the measurements you need to ICON and they will build you a set. Sorry I havn't been on in a few days, I will try and remember get it for you when I get home from work tomorrow.
OK, at ride height from the center of the bolt to the bottom of the top plate its 27.5". Keep in mind these are adjustable coil overs, so you can go up or down with them. Also, my truck sits pretty level, a bit of rake from front to rear if any, if you want the "cali" lean you can always adjust them to achieve more lift in the front, or adjust to level if you have a replacement bumper.

·
"Big Dog"
1,913 Posts
Not sure I follow. You want to do the Zone 5, but add the BDS pre-load shim to make it 7". Then add Icon coil overs? And where does Procomp fit into this? It may be that I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet but i'm confused!

·
"Big Dog"
1,913 Posts
That would be cool. So you wouldn't need the lower shock bracket. Not sure if there's anything else that would cause it not to work.

·
"Big Dog"
1,913 Posts
You're right, the pre-load shim is only for the stock bilsteins. Peteeod was telling me about another brand of coil overs that would work with the BDS lift and could actually work in conjunction with the lower shock bracket. I'll see if I can find them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts