Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a 2018 Tundra today. I had not idea how out of touch I am with modern vehicles. That Tundra was really different from what I'm accustomed to driving, a 1997 Chevy pickup. I'll go ahead next week and put in an order for a new one as the dealership didn't have exactly what I want. The biggest thing for me was the infotainment system and amount of information the truck relays to the driver. I'm used to six gauges and a radio. Which brings me to a question I didn't want to ask the dealer, what is the yellow flashing square with two squiggly lines by the speedometer? My only complaint, and I'll get used to it in time, is that the steering felt really light.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The '18 has the new gauge cluster. It's crazy how much stuff is inside that screen. As for the light, I'd guess traction control or lane departure (I dunno, my truck doesn't have the latter).

The steering is a bit light and is too neutral at center. However it is better than some of the electric steering Toyotas I've driven - some of those had zero feel at all... less than an old Logitech gaming wheel. Combined with virtually no toe-in it makes the truck a little irritating to center a lane on the highway but it's liveable.

I do know the Toyota 346 ci V8 feels a whole lot stronger than the factory 350 Chevys in the 90's ;)

Reactions: Lab4Us

·
Registered
84 Posts
I noticed the same thing when I drove my 2016 1794 w/ off-road package. After I added slightly wider (10 ply) tires, Fox 2.0 suspension and Air bags it feels much better. I didn’t like the freeway jittering. The truck felt like it wanted to jump across lanes when hitting bumps during turns at 80 mph. Now it feels much more controlled. I did set my truck up for towing though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Which brings me to a question I didn't want to ask the dealer, what is the yellow flashing square with two squiggly lines by the speedometer? My only complaint, and I'll get used to it in time, is that the steering felt really light.
I don't know, but mine is always on and my gas mileage and tire life seem to be suffering.:laugh:

·
Registered
668 Posts
My starting point is a 20 yo pickup based on a nearly 30 yo design. While the Tundra may be a bit dated compared to the bleeding edge of automotive design, it is leaps and bounds above my current DD.
I'm accustomed to four banger Tacoma's with a manual transmission. My other previous trucks were of the same caliber. Just base model, simple trucks. Even my 2014 Tundra SR felt very refined, yet keeps the truck ride and feel I like. Even though it's an SR, the power locks and what not felt too fancy.

Apparently society was enjoying trucks with modern technology and cushy SUV suspension. If the Tundra is dated tech, then that is what I apparently what I want. I just want it to be a truck, even when I'm not doing truck things like driving to work or the store. Speed bumps aren't fun. Parking lots take some planning. The stereo isn't great. It uses a key to start it GASP!

I think you may just be an old school truck guy. The Tundra is just the thing for that. A grumbly v8 and all the truck characteristics that make a truck a truck. Even our "Dated" Tundra's are leaps ahead of old trucks. Our 86 Ram didn't even have power steering. I debate on if it had suspension at all. We got many years out of that thing. Just had to replace the lifters once, which is easy on that Mitsubishi four banger (yep, the RAM was a re-branded Mitsubishi).

When shopping for the Tundra, a part of the decision was the engine design. Four valves per cylinder, overhead cams, VVT, etc. AC is a must too. Can I get it with manual transmission and crank windows? No? Bummer. I guess I'll have to buy it with all these fancy features ;)

·
Registered
534 Posts
My starting point is a 20 yo pickup based on a nearly 30 yo design. While the Tundra may be a bit dated compared to the bleeding edge of automotive design, it is leaps and bounds above my current DD.
Oh trust me, I love mine and bought it even though I knew it wasn't quite as "modern" as other trucks. I don't regret it one bit.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
My only complaint, and I'll get used to it in time, is that the steering felt really light.
I don't like that either. Mine tracks fine but the power steering has too much power. Wonder if there is a simple way to adjust that? Found this online, but no idea if it would work: AutoSpeed - Modifying Speed-Sensitive Power Steering

I really prefer how my '86 pickup drives vs my Tundra. But the Tundra was as good as the other big trucks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Congrats. Great choice in the Tundra.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The order is placed! Was: I took a test drive today

The deposit is paid, the call has been made to Houston...What have I done? Just kidding. It will be nice to be in a truck that wasn't built during the Clinton administration. Truth be told, I've been driving this truck since the Clinton administration. This order was overdue.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Congrats! You'll love the new tundra. I had two GMT400 pickups and two GMT400 SUV's before the tundra - HUGE difference between them and the tundra!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a 14' Tundra. Mostly used for towing. Bought a new RV trailer, and now I need to gain 2" on the rear of my truck. Any suggestions? bags, helper leaf?...right now I ride "level", but the trailer (29') is 3-1/2" lower in the front measured off the trailers frame. I need to be 1-2" only. So I'm leaning towards bags...But don't have a clue.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have a 14' Tundra. Mostly used for towing. Bought a new RV trailer, and now I need to gain 2" on the rear of my truck. Any suggestions? bags, helper leaf?
Why are you posting your question in this thread?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took delivery today.

The new pickup is home. This picture doesn't show it, but the end of that 8 footer is waaay back there, none the less the truck will do just finely. I need to work on the parking situation at the house. The best solution will be to sell off the old pickup. A couple oddities, there's no intermittent wipers. That's quite the omission for a 30K$ vehicle. The other oddity is the passenger door has no keyhole. How are you supposed to open the door for your lady friend without a keyhole? Before you say to use the keyfob, this is the work truck model. There is just a key, no fob. With my social life that doesn't matter. As a bonus, I didn't know that the work truck model comes with a spray in bed liner.

Attachments

·
Registered
965 Posts
No intermittent wipers?? Bizzarre... You can probably just add them by swapping stalks at some point.

IIRC, if you turn the key twice in the drivers side it will unlock all the doors. Or maybe you turn and hold the key for a second and they unlock. I just use the fob :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
The new pickup is home. This picture doesn't show it, but the end of that 8 footer is waaay back there, none the less the truck will do just finely. I need to work on the parking situation at the house. The best solution will be to sell off the old pickup. A couple oddities, there's no intermittent wipers. That's quite the omission for a 30K$ vehicle. The other oddity is the passenger door has no keyhole. How are you supposed to open the door for your lady friend without a keyhole? Before you say to use the keyfob, this is the work truck model. There is just a key, no fob. With my social life that doesn't matter. As a bonus, I didn't know that the work truck model comes with a spray in bed liner.
That bugged me quite a bit. I wanted to be able to enter via other doors, not just one. Aftermarket alarm took care of that. The wipers are a quick and easy swap of the switch. Literally a three to five minute job.

There are a few threads on the wiper fix. If you need a link/part numbers, I'll dig em up. Just say the word.

EDIT: Found a link. The part that worked on my 2014 is https://www.sparksparts.com/oem-parts/toyota-wiper-switch-8465202710/?c=aT04NTEyMzMwNSZyPWxheWVyXzU=

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/ex...nt-wiper-installation-pics-2.html#post8363594

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
No intermittent wipers?? Bizzarre
Welcome the DC Long work truck club! Like Idiot406 said, there are a couple silly things missing but they are easily remedied.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.