Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has finally come to my attention that I don't need 401 ft-lbs of torque and 4.30s for driving around, hitting some light trails, and towing maybe 5k lbs every once in a while. Not only that, but I commute a lot and I'm really getting tired of seeing 13.2 mpg avg. I drive the truck as gently as possible to get half decent mileage, but it doesn't help much. I'm really leaning toward selling it and buying a Chevy Colorado. The truck is a 2016 limited, double cab, 4x4, with the TRD off-road package. I myself have added a few things, like a 3/1 lift/level, 34.3' stt pros, and a true dual exhaust with super 10s. With that being said, the truck has all the bells and whistles of the limited package and has a little under 26k miles on it. It is in near perfect condition too. The original price was 46k and I know that it'll have obviously lost some value. The first thing I was wondering was what ball park number you all think I should try to get out of the truck. I'm not letting it go for less than 38k. The other thing is if you all think that a colorado would be fine with it's 8 speed and 3.6 liter v6 with lets say a 3 inch lift and 33s, or do you think it would need a lot of help from gearing?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I’d think you’d better off in a Tacoma than a Chevy. Toyota reliability, better mileage, less/slower depreciation if you decide to trade again in a couple years. If you are really looking for cushy, and are willing to lose the bed, check out the Lexus GX460 lightly used. Still have the v8 power, a bit better mileage, smooth transmission, luxury features and again reliability. It’s basically a land cruiser Prado (meaning perfectly capable offroad which I’m assuming is your thing since you are looking to lift and add +size tires).

My thoughts would be that any v6 4x4 is going to feel quite sluggish after the tundra if you plan on +sizing tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: TOY33 and theoat

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Wouldn't you be better off removing the 3/1 and 34" offroad tires and pick up some lighter stock sized P-rated tires and sucking up the slightly better gas mileage vs. taking the hit on the trade-in and buying a Chevy with its depreciation?

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
Wouldn't you be better off removing the 3/1 and 34" offroad tires and pick up some lighter stock sized P-rated tires and sucking up the slightly better gas mileage vs. taking the hit on the trade-in and buying a Chevy with its depreciation?
Winner winner, lets drink for dinner.

My truck mpg sucks, but I really don't care much. 7k per year. Who cares.

Leveled, larger tires, remote starting, so what.

Now if mpg mattered, it would be stock height, p-metric's stock size tires. Not these E rated 275/60R-20's... And those are only my small winter setup hahaha.

About $2K in upgrades gone, plus whatever lost in value, gone... Plus slower, plus any of the domestics lose a ton of value in a short period of time. Unless you can get employee GM discount, you are already wayyyy under water as soon as you drive off the lot.

To add to that, for shits and giggles, I KBB'd a limited, assuming a CM, OP's year, and mileage, and came up with $33.9-36.6k trade, PP $33.7-38.2k...

·
Registered
397 Posts

Not a bad thought either. He’d be up a couple/few mpg’s anyway. The money not lost on the trade, has to be worth a couple more too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: theoat

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
Best thing I can think of for comparison.

Years ago, fuel prices spiked to about $4/gal. I had a 2500 hd, about 12.5mpg summer. Worse in winter.

I bought a Jetta, used. Thought it would balance out....

Did it? Eph no. Still had depreciation on the truck, and the Jetta, was useless. Lost more money than I gained, but at least had fun as it was a 1.8T car. Little mods. Was at least fun.

A canyonero, hell no. No fun, loss in value, loss on current truck. If it were lifted and on larger tires, mpg gain of 1-3 doesn't equate.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I sold my TT and have been thinking a Tacoma might work well....but I'd have to add money to my 2010 CM that still only has 52,000 kms on it, I'd lose power, probably feel cramped and likely overall regret downsizing. :dunno:

·
Registered
566 Posts
I was pretty cautious in my move up in vehicles and only got bigger in cars as my kids got bigger in shoe size. I have not seen a better ratio on what I owe versus kbb value till I was in my 2016 Limited just like you. Seems like the longer I keep it, the better I will do when I swap it in.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I sold my TT and have been thinking a Tacoma might work well....but I'd have to add money to my 2010 CM that still only has 52,000 kms on it, I'd lose power, probably feel cramped and likely overall regret downsizing. :dunno:
I too have thought a tacoma might better suit me and my family. My wife is looking at getting a highlander or 4runner. Right now the tundra is the family truck and it's paid for as is our camry. So I'm not really in a hurry to go out and purchase another vehicle. But if we did pick her up an SUV as a family vehicle I may consider downsizing. But will likely end up keeping the tundra and just keep driving it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just sold a Jeep Unlimited Rubicon with 35 MTR Kevlars and 4.88s and a 3.6.
10-11 mpg city, 14.0 highway. Cramped.
It’s easy to rationalize a reduction for efficiency but sooner or later circumstances slap you in the face.
You have 40g capacity, a massively powerful and super reliable engine, and more room for passengers than a Mercedes S550 or BMW 7S/ Lexus LS
Your upgrades to the Chevy will net you worse mileage and less range with less cabin space and less reliability.
IDK.. just my .02 Been Jeepin for 20 years. I’m done. My TCM limited is heaven on earth

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I too have thought a tacoma might better suit me and my family. My wife is looking at getting a highlander or 4runner. Right now the tundra is the family truck and it's paid for as is our camry. So I'm not really in a hurry to go out and purchase another vehicle. But if we did pick her up an SUV as a family vehicle I may consider downsizing. But will likely end up keeping the tundra and just keep driving it.
I wonder if the Taco would feel like driving the 4 Runner, feel and power wise in which case you would probably want something different to change things up.
I agree, no payments is nice. I'm liking paying for vacations without having to save up for them now without a mortgage now. :D

Reactions: Muleycrazy13

·
Registered
326 Posts
Best case scenario switching to a Colorado is an increase of 5 mpg overall. a lift kit, and bigger tires will effect the Colorado more than the tundra, being the tundra is already heavier and more powerful. so your real world mpg increase will probably be 2 or 3 mpg.

Even if you assume a 5 mpg increase with gas at $3.00 a gallon and you drive 15,000 miles per year. you are looking at less than $1,000 a year savings. probably more like 500-700 with actual mpg increase. chances are it will take you longer to recoup your money than you are going to keep the Colorado.

Buy a new truck because you want a new truck.... trying to justify it with economics almost never works works.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
We just bought a 2017 4Runner a few months ago and we love it. This is our 3rd 4Runner. Definitely a smoother ride compared to a Tacoma that I test drove at one time. I don't know about the Tacoma, but the 4Runner is almost as heavy as the Tundra. Either way, I would not leave Toyota for Chevy.

Reactions: theoat and TOY33

·
Registered
143 Posts
To the OP, using the tundra for a commute is gonna be a struggle compared to any small commuter car or light light truck (i’m Looking at you ridge line).

The only truck I personally know of that truly gets mid 20’s mpg is my bike mechanic’s ram eco diesel. However any savings might be offset by the higher price of diesel. His truck is a 2016, extended cab, 4x4, with bfg ko’s , no lift. I’ve just texted him, his best mpg is 26 long road trip up to Bay Area.
Worst mpg is 14 in heavy traffic, towing an enclosed workshop trailer. (Maybe 3-4000 lbs loaded with tools, equipment, parts and various bikes (mountain, road, beach cruisers etc. not Harley’s lol)

He absolutely loves his ram, even tried to get me to buy a new one last year, price otd was around 37k IIRC.

However, this is you we’re talking about and It’s a tricky position you’re in, you want a reliable, value holding multi purpose truck/vehicle. Well you already have one, the downside is mpg.
You would have to get a screaming deal on a domestic to soften the depreciation blow in a few years. Buying a cheap ‘beater’ commuter car might be a better option and keep the tunny for fun.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would really rethink going smaller. I drove a friends 2015 Baha edition Tacoma and it's cramped compared to the Tundra and the MPG is negligible. The motor also felt weak (duh, it's no 5.7) but the newer Tacos's are even weaker. Read some reviews on TacomaWorld. Also with the cost of the Tacomas, the Tundra is a steal in my mind!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah... honestly, I'm glad I said something to you all. The more I think about it, the more I think "f*ck no." I'd almost immediately miss the old 5.7 and 4.30s. Not only that, but, as you all have mentioned, the loss on the truck wouldn't be worth it. I think I'll just tough out the dinosaur's fuel economy and live with the truck. It's been my favorite truck on the market for a good while, every once in a while though I look at my fuel economy and gauge and get really depressed lol. I feel like if I did get a colorado, I'd probably have worse fuel economy by the time I finish lifting it and throwing bigger tires at it anyways. Thanks all for the moral support and keeping me from making a terrible decision that I'd regret lol.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I wonder if the Taco would feel like driving the 4 Runner, feel and power wise in which case you would probably want something different to change things up.
I agree, no payments is nice. I'm liking paying for vacations without having to save up for them now without a mortgage now. :D
Ya I think regardless I'll keep the tundra around for a while. No mortgage that's what I'm striving for. That has to be a great feeling.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.