Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 platinum Crewmax
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, with the social distancing going on, and with me being in self quarantine, I thought what better way to spend my time at home than installing some new sound in my tundra.

My plan is to keep the factory head unit and install sound dampening, add new speakers, a sub, an amplifier, and the rockford fosgate DSR1. Crutchfield and Amazon are still open, so I have all the parts ordered and delivery has started.

Amp wiring kit arrived today, so I started with that. I have power ready to go, just waiting for some more parts to arrive.

Going to start sound deadening the back wall tomorrow.

cheers,

Attachments

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Good wire, I like their products.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, I was sitting here contemplating the exact same thing on my 2020 ! I am anxious to hear about your DSR1 experience, I have heard mixed reviews on it. People seem to either love it or hate it. Keep us posted on the progress !

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, with the social distancing going on, and with me being in self quarantine, I thought what better way to spend my time at home than installing some new sound in my tundra.

My plan is to keep the factory head unit and install sound dampening, add new speakers, a sub, an amplifier, and the rockford fosgate DSR1. Crutchfield and Amazon are still open, so I have all the parts ordered and delivery has started.

Amp wiring kit arrived today, so I started with that. I have power ready to go, just waiting for some more parts to arrive.

cheers,
Hey, you kind of glanced over the self quarantine stuff... Get well!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ended up putting one of these in my '10 with steering wheel controls... turned out pretty good.

Pioneer AVH-1300NEX Multimedia DVD Receiver. only $229 on amazon.

·
Registered
283 Posts

cheers,
Toyota sound systems suck, even the wife's 4Runner JBL system isn't that good.
I just finished up my system. Depending on your cash flow and how far you depend to take it there are some really good options on now.

I kept my head unit and ran my high outputs to an AudioControl (SkyHigh has them on sale right now) Matrix Plus then to two amps. I have Sinfoni mids and highs for the front and Deaf Bonce and Sundown for rear doors. If you want the best for you money go look at Deaf Bonce from down4sound. They are 15% off now and are amazing. I did two JL PowerWedges under the back seat.

I was doing Alpine amps but upgraded to Arc amps.

You might want to upgrade your battery, XS is the two I put in. Depending on your Amp pull.

These are the sites that I have used for all my stuff. Oh NVX has great OFC cable for amps and speakers.

Don't know if any of this helps or not, just love doing stuff like this and wanted you to have the info.

·
Registered
2020 TRD Pro
15 Posts

cheers,
How much was everything?

·
Registered
2016 platinum Crewmax
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What's your parts list?
Amp - Pioneer GM-DX975 5 channel
Sub -Pioneer TS-SW3002S4 Shallow-mount (x2)
Front - Polk Audio DB 6502 6 1/2” components
Rear - Pioneer TS-A652C 6 1/2” components
custom sub box with 2 - 12“ openings
Rockford Fosgate DSR1
iDatalink aT03
Noico sound deadening mat and Sound insulation

have started the sound deadening mat installation. Back wall and floor complete.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 platinum Crewmax
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, step 1 complete. DSR1 and amp installed. All good, it is really a pluG and play install! I wired the factory speakers to the amp using the factory speaker wiring just to be able to test and make sure the dSR1 was working properly. It is, all head unit functions working, steering wheel control working and Bluetooth working for music and phone. The perfect tune app also connects and controls the DSR1.

I have to say, the factory jbl amp is the weak link in the OEM JBL system. I have not tuned the pioneer amp yet, just set crossover to 80 and gain to ‘normal’. The factory speakers and sub sound noticably better running off the new amp.

Too cold and rainy to continue. stay tuned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ended up putting one of these in my '10 with steering wheel controls... turned out pretty good.

Pioneer AVH-1300NEX Multimedia DVD Receiver. only $229 on amazon.
I have been looking for a good replacement, did you have the JBL with the built in sub and Amp? I am having trouble finding a replacement head unit that the steering controls will still work and its plug and play with the factory sub/amp...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been looking for a good replacement, did you have the JBL with the built in sub and Amp? I am having trouble finding a replacement head unit that the steering controls will still work and its plug and play with the factory sub/amp...
Check out the idata Maestro RR2 and it's associated wire harness kit. Works incredibly well.

·
Registered
2016 platinum Crewmax
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Look at the Rockford Fosgate DSR1. With the T03 harness, this plugs in to the factory system and lets you replace the factory amp. From there you can replace speakers sub and even use the factory speaker wiring. It is a pretty slick unit! Can even run the factory JBL speakers from the new amp if you wanted to. They will sound better with a better amp, but you could/should replace speakers as well.

All steering wheel controls, bluetooth, navigation, etc. remain 100% fully functional with factory headunit.

Lots of members have positive experience with the DSR1, which is why I went that route.

good luck, ask more questions...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you, so I shall..
Is my factory amp where the sub is located and does the amp just power the sub or is it helping my other speakers?
My sub sounds ok I am not needing big bass but will need to replace some of the speakers also what do you recommend for good quality at a decent price?
I would like to keep the amp and sub and just replace the head unit with a unit with a decent sized screen if that's possible?

Also do you know the size of the door speakers, I read somewhere they are hard to find the correct size for the doors?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2016 platinum Crewmax
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Amp is under the front passenger seat, it powers all the speakers but it is grossly under powered. The JBL amp is paired with the JBL headunit. I am not sure if can replace the head unit and keep the factory amp. I tested the factory speakers with a new pioneer amp and the and that alone improved the sound, but the factory speakers really are kinda crappy. Replacing the amp is the way to go in my opinion.

go to Find what fits your car - Crutchfield and plug in your truck specs. it will show you what fits. there are choices.

Also, I finished my install! Sub box arrived today and oh boy does it sound good! I used a scrap piece of dried out plywood for a temporary amp rack and will have to do something about this later. But for now, I can get my groove on! Polk audio speakers I put in the front might be a little too bright, but the pioneer components in the back are perfect to my ear!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts