Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my truck's oil today. I didn't have a funnel, but poured in new engine oil anyways. Long story short, while I was pouring, some oil accidentally missed and spilled on the outside while dripping to the ground

Anything I should be concerned about? I hope I didn't get oil on anythiing important .

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
The main issue is oil contacting hot surfaces after the engine has been running. This has the potential to produce smoke and possibly flames if sufficient oil and heat are brought together. While the engine is cold I would first use paper towels to wipe up as much of the oil as you can. Then get a can of brake cleaner and spray around the affected area to wash off any remaining oil, then give it time to dry or dry off with compressed air. You can place some paper towels underneath the engine to catch what runs off to minimize mess underneath. Alternately you can pressure wash or Simple Green / garden hose to get more of the oil off if you have this available.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The only thing you have to worry about is the stain on your garage floor.

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
I changed my truck's oil today. I didn't have a funnel, but poured in new engine oil anyways. Long story short, while I was pouring, some oil accidentally missed and spilled on the outside while dripping to the ground

Anything I should be concerned about? I hope I didn't get oil on anythiing important .
nope the ball bags at my dealer do it all the time to my truck.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
1 - 6 of 6 Posts