Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a beautiful, older 9000 lb dry weight 5th wheel. We used to tow it with a longbed crewcab dually. Traded the dually in for a 2013 Toyota Tundra (the 4 door model, with the smaller back seat) 5.7 Liter, with transmission cooler. I no idea that we would need to buy a slide hitch to tow the 5th wheel. But will the truck even pull the weight of the 9000 lb. 5th wheel, plus all of the extra cargo weight that goes along with camping?
You know how it goes...the salesman told us it would pull easy and we went right along with it. Now that its too late, I am researching and reading that people are saying that it can pull and some say no way. So now I don't know what to do. Should I invest in the slide hitch? If so, can I get a used one and then get Toyota custom install brackets, would that work? Or does it all need to be ane brand...IDK!
I like to get more input from those of you who really know what the 2013 tundra is capable of. Opinions please!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I see people pulling huge 5th wheels with them all the time. They have upgraded to airbags in the rear to help with the weight. 9K pounds isn't bad but is towards the upper end of the "recommended" max. Chevy, Ford, and Dodge inflate their numbers and I don't trust them with what they say. Toyota used to be rated for 10800lbs before Toyota decided to do a new standard J2807 rating system that the Big 3 won't use even after they said they would. I pulled around 8K+ bumper pull travel trailer before the new one I got now, and it did great. I'm guessing I'm in the 7K+ range now with the new camper and the truck tows it fantastic as well.

I'm sure others will chime in soon.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Will the Tundra pull it...yes. Should you pull it with the Tundra...no. You should have at least a 3/4 ton truck for a camper with a dry weight of 9000 pounds. If you tow that with the Tundra you will exceed ALL of the Tundra weight ratings once all of your gear is included.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It's not the weight of the trailer, it's the pin weight in the bed of the truck. More than likely you will be well above the payload capacity of truck.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Sub'd

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
This is all pretty simple math assuming you want to actually stay within Toyota weight specs:

Toyota states that the max vehicle capacity (weight actually on/in truck) is 1465 lbs, a 5th wheel weighing 9000 lbs will put an average of 1125 lbs (12.5%) on the truck. Toss in 300 pounds for two adults and you are already 40 lbs away from the truck's weight limit and you have yet even load anything else in the truck.

For towing, Toyota specs for that truck are 10,000 lbs. If you have less than 1,000 of weight added to the trailer (includes water in the tanks, propane, batteries and your camping gear) then your tow weight would alright.

Like I said, the Tundra will tow it but you will be over your GVWR and you will get beyond horrible gas mileage since you will be at the very uppper limits of your CGVWR.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Subscribed.

You wouldn't be the first to be duped by a salesperson. Nor the last.

I forget, but I had a hard time finding the GCWR for my truck, Toyota didn't list it directly. Regardless, every recommendation I've seen on the web is to not exceed 80% of GCWR. You might be able to kiss GCWR if you are towing a boat--but only because of low wind load. If you're daring, perhaps you can tow at GCWR. But in general, toss in some hills, and you're going to be sad, towing at GCWR. Toyota came up with their limits for a reason, something (or many things) are maxed out at this number. Otherwise they'd advertise a different number.

You don't state if you have 4x4 or Double Cab vs Crew Cab, but I'll guess it's not a regular cab else you wouldn't need the sliding hitch. I'm guessing right around 5,500 curb weight, with a max towing of what, 10k? [I have the smaller V8, so I don't know the numbers off-hand--but you can go look them up.] I'm not sure I could recommend going past 12,400lb total weight, or about 6,900lb in addition to the truck. Maybe 7k max, although that assumes long trips over mountains. Yanking 10k across town? Sure, that should be fine.

Mind you, the 7k I just listed, is trailer + all the junk you put in it + all the junk you put into the truck - 300lb, as Toyota assumes a 150lb driver + 150lb passenger. I'd assume a 9k trailer is probably closer to 10k in reality, as, again, manufacturers like to list their dry numbers with no options installed.

If it was me, I'd sell the camper, unless if I was really attached. In which case I'd sell the truck. If you just bought it, it should be a minor hit on trade-in.

Sorry...

Reactions: mitch4ging

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about! It towed the space shuttle for [email protected]$#k's sake, it can sure as hell tow a 5th wheel !! :thumbsup:

Reactions: Wacked

·
Registered
277 Posts
Bllaahhh, who needs disclaimers! I figure it's all relative. If it can tow 165,000 lbs a short distance, then it should be able to tow 9,000 lbs a really long distance. I'm pretty sure Newton wrote a physics law about it... ;)

Reactions: Wacked

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think 2010CrewMaxTRD nails the fundamentals of the weight argument. I just have 1 question.... wouldn't you feel guilty if something (anything) happened and you or a loved one were injured and/or you injured someone else on the highway with your camper (used for having fun and joy)? I see people, including me, push boundaries without looking at the consequence(s). For goodness sakes, a vacation wrecked by a tragedy would haunt all of us should it happen to any of us. Clearly you are thinking about it and are trying to be prudent, which is fantastic because you're demonstrating concern about consequence(s).

When I see maximum limits I tend to treat them as 100% max. Therefore, I wouldn't run at anything over 80% of maximum limit. Your vehicle may go 100MPH, but shouldn't run it there for long as it won't sustain it mechanically. If you should run your truck at maximum speed or weight your are likely endangering people and you're certainly and drastically reducing the mechanical life of the vehicle.

I feel for you having to rethink the investment and next steps about your camper....

Just my 2 cents... for what it's worth. Best wishes.

This is all pretty simple math assuming you want to actually stay within Toyota weight specs:

Toyota states that the max vehicle capacity (weight actually on/in truck) is 1465 lbs, a 5th wheel weighing 9000 lbs will put an average of 1125 lbs (12.5%) on the truck. Toss in 300 pounds for two adults and you are already 40 lbs away from the truck's weight limit and you have yet even load anything else in the truck.

For towing, Toyota specs for that truck are 10,000 lbs. If you have less than 1,000 of weight added to the trailer (includes water in the tanks, propane, batteries and your camping gear) then your tow weight would alright.

Like I said, the Tundra will tow it but you will be over your GVWR and you will get beyond horrible gas mileage since you will be at the very uppper limits of your CGVWR.

Reactions: 2010

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think 2010CrewMaxTRD nails the fundamentals of the weight argument. I just have 1 question.... wouldn't you feel guilty if something (anything) happened and you or a loved one were injured and/or you injured someone else on the highway with your camper (used for having fun and joy)? I see people, including me, push boundaries without looking at the consequence(s). For goodness sakes, a vacation wrecked by a tragedy would haunt all of us should it happen to any of us. Clearly you are thinking about it and are trying to be prudent, which is fantastic because you're demonstrating concern about consequence(s).

When I see maximum limits I tend to treat them as 100% max. Therefore, I wouldn't run at anything over 80% of maximum limit. Your vehicle may go 100MPH, but shouldn't run it there for long as it won't sustain it mechanically. If you should run your truck at maximum speed or weight your are likely endangering people and you're certainly and drastically reducing the mechanical life of the vehicle.

I feel for you having to rethink the investment and next steps about your camper....

Don't encourage CrewMax and his fancy pants logic:lol5:

Reactions: Wacked and 2010

·
Registered
830 Posts
He has a DC and gcvwr is just the gvwr + tow rating.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Toyota would do well to spell that out in their website. For some vehicles max towing is at curb, only some can do GVWR plus max towing. I've been assuming curb plus max on mine--7900 would only be with just me in the truck, nothing else.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Glad to see that someone gets it.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Toyota would do well to spell that out in their website. For some vehicles max towing is at curb, only some can do GVWR plus max towing. I've been assuming curb plus max on mine--7900 would only be with just me in the truck, nothing else.
In all honesty, that was just how I interpreted the owners manual a while back when I had a look, it could very well be the second formula...you are correct though that Toyota does a horrible job at spelling it out.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I tow my 8k 5th wheel camper with no problem. I even have a fishing boat hooked to the back of the camper, still no trouble.

The DC's don't need a slider hitch, the crew max do. Air bags will most likely be needed. E rated tires as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts