Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so we all want a CAI or colder air to enter through our air box etc. I know this question is probably dumb and has been asked before, but why not run an a/c line to the air box? To me this makes as Much since as ram air by turning up your a/c on cold and wide open and allowing a blast of coldnair into the engine but idk if this is even possible or logical,.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
I have no experience with it myself but others have given positive comments.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
Would you gain enough to offset the power lost running the A/C compressor? :dunno:
No.
For the amount of work, time, money and aggravation it would take for something like this, just to end up with a system that does nothing for performance and adds about 100 new variables for mechanical failure, you're better off having a factory supercharger installed.
Significant gains, simple tech and warrantied. Done, done and done.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No.
For the amount of work, time, money and aggravation it would take for something like this, just to end up with a system that does nothing for performance and adds about 100 new variables for mechanical failure, you're better off having a factory supercharger installed.
Significant gains, simple tech and warrantied. Done, done and done.
what if the company its self did this stock?

·
Registered
964 Posts
what if the company its self did this stock?
They wouldn't. It's a net loss on power. The compressor only runs when the a/c is on, otherwise it freewheels (albeit with a couple of pounds of mass). The power it takes to run the compressor far outweighs the potential power gains made by a little cold air going into the intake.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Even if it did work the compressor would be running way too often and fail much sooner. There are better ways to make the engine more efficient... ex., turbocharger or supercharger.

Another cheap alternative to chill the air and make more power is nitrous oxide.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Ok, so we all want a CAI or colder air to enter through our air box etc. I know this question is probably dumb and has been asked before, but why not run an a/c line to the air box? To me this makes as Much since as ram air by turning up your a/c on cold and wide open and allowing a blast of coldnair into the engine but idk if this is even possible or logical,.

This would be less effective than using meth....there is very little cooling effect in a N/A motor with meth, the only way you'll see real gains is in a high boost application.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts