Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive been wanting to lift my 08 DC 4x4 for 5 yrs and I finally got the balls to give it the go ahead . I paid my truck off a few weeks ago and am not even close to wanting a new truck but wanted to spark my interest back in mine so I ordered all of the stuff to lift it . Ive always been scared to do anything to it because I liked the dependability of it being stock and figured I would lessen the life of the suspension by lifting it , but finally came to my senses and said to hell with that . I didn't go to big , just enough to make it crawl threw a ditch or creek a lil easier with out worrying about tearing off a front or rear bumper .

I went with the Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks in front ( going to use top setting ) and a front diff drop .

Rear end I went with the coachbuilder +2's to keep a lil rake in it for towing and a set of carrier bearing spacers with the rear bilstein shocks .

For the tires I went with a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers MT's in a 275/70/18 with the stock rims .

I have already ordered all of this stuff and am waiting on it all in the mail . Im not gonna sleep well till its all on now . And dropping 2 grand in a week aint to fun either , the price of tires has gotten straight up ridiculous !

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Congrats man, only thing I think you may regret is that tire size (going to look small IMO) but the Trail Grapplers themselves are da bomb.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Wait till you go with a bigger lift and tires.....more dough!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should I have went with a bigger tire ? I thought about going with a 285/70 but I don't think they make it in a trail grappler . If they do , discount did not carry them . I don't wanna go any taller than a 33 in tire because of fuel economy and towing , though Im not against going a lil wider but like I said I couldn't find it in a 285 .

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
Should I have went with a bigger tire ? I thought about going with a 285/70 but I don't think they make it in a trail grappler . If they do , discount did not carry them . I don't wanna go any taller than a 33 in tire because of fuel economy and towing , though Im not against going a lil wider but like I said I couldn't find it in a 285 .
With a 2.5" lift the should fit in there just right. If u go with a/t u can get em in 285 but only a 65 tall. Since u r keeping stock rims imo the tires will look good

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It'll be fine. If you don't think it's wide enough look for the 285/65/18. It'll be just as tall as your 275/70 almost, but much wider. You'll be fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
I hope it don't look to bad , Yall got me worried now .
Sorry man, not trying to scare you. I had 275/70/18's when my truck was stock height and it looked good. Once I lifted her 3" I did not like the look of the tires as they were not tall enough or wide enough. When I went to 4" of lift bigger tires were a no brainer. I get the exact same gas mileage with my 34.5" Trail Grapplers as I did with my 33" Terra Grapplers but I think it is just that I drive her a little different now.

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
It'll be fine. If you don't think it's wide enough look for the 285/65/18. It'll be just as tall as your 275/70 almost, but much wider. You'll be fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I know the first 2 numbers on a tire size is in ratio to the rim size but u know for a fact 285/65 r the same height as 275/70? Cause I just ordered some 285/65 n I was worried about the height!! Lol, I'm tellin gunrunner he will b fine but I'm stressing about mine, very hypocritical! ! Gunrunner if what he says is true than quickly consider a 285/65. Listen to the other guys not me, I'm going off what I've seen not what I have experienced, sorry!

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
275/70/18 is 0.6 in taller than 285/65/18.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know the first 2 numbers on a tire size is in ratio to the rim size but u know for a fact 285/65 r the same height as 275/70? Cause I just ordered some 285/65 n I was worried about the height!! Lol, I'm tellin gunrunner he will b fine but I'm stressing about mine, very hypocritical! ! Gunrunner if what he says is true than quickly consider a 285/65. Listen to the other guys not me, I'm going off what I've seen not what I have experienced, sorry!

A 285/65 is about 1/2" shorter and almost 1" wider than a 275/70 . So they are not the same height , but close .

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
The first number is the width of the tire in mm. So 285/65/18 will be 10 mm wider than 275/70/18. 10 mm is roughly 0.4 in.

Reactions: riccnick

·
Registered
393 Posts
I agree the 275/70/18's will look small. I have a readylift 3/2 kit and ran that size for a week. Returned them and bought 295/70/18's which look much much better!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree the 275/70/18's will look small. I have a readylift 3/2 kit and ran that size for a week. Returned them and bought 295/70/18's which look much much better!
Im gonna puttem on a see hat they look like , Ive saw a few pics of a comparable setup to mine and ould agree that a taller and wider tire would look better , but the 275/70 don't look bad . I hope Im wrong here because I really don't wanna go to a larger tire for MPG and towing ability .

·
Registered
393 Posts
Im gonna puttem on a see hat they look like , Ive saw a few pics of a comparable setup to mine and ould agree that a taller and wider tire would look better , but the 275/70 don't look bad . I hope Im wrong here because I really don't wanna go to a larger tire for MPG and towing ability .
Honestly they don't look bad, and they will be the best for mpg and towing. I personally just couldn't deal with how small they looked on mine and swapped them out.
Yours are mud tires and mine were at's so yours are gonna look better anyway lol!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts