Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most of you may or may not know that at the top of the tailgate (at least on 2017's) there's two gaps that let dirt/water in. This annoyed me because even with my bed cover, my stuff still wasn't protected. I bought this stuff at Walmart for less than $5. It comes with two strips about 3 ft. Long and it has sticky stuff so you don't need to drill. It's cut weird in the pics because I originally stuck it on the bed but then put it on the tailgate. I will update you next time I have a chance to spray it with water or when it rains. I do believe they make it in black instead of the white shown.

UPDATE: I blasted the tailgate with a pressure washer, no leaks into the bed at all. Im running some cheap tyger auto 3 fold bed cover

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
i just doubled up in that area and around the sides with some left over xtang tailgate seal works great.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
i knew someone was going to ask. at work right now will take a few when i get home and post them asap. its just plain weather stripping about 1" wide and 1/2" thick.doubled it up in the big gap area and added a strip to the side to make it 1 1/2" wide in the gap. used a flashlight from behind to make sure it was a good seal.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Here are the pics of what I did. The piece on the tailgate seals on the other pieces on the bed. With a flash light from inside the bed only light that pass through is at the latch and can't really cover that up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
I never noticed the gap. Does you guys have problems with water getting in?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I never noticed the gap. Does you guys have problems with water getting in?
Had my 14 for 2 years now. I have never had water in my bed at all.
Tonneau cover and sealed tight

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 2011 TRD Tundra 5.7 with canopy. Water easily gets in at the tailgate/rear canopy door area. If you get inside at night, close canopy and tailgate, you can easily see very big gaps. Am tooling for a good dealing kit right now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have issues with dust being sucked in
Bought some weather striping that sealed up the tail gate but my topper leaks by the closer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts