Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the reason why i now own a tundra is because an old man ran a red light and totaled my f-250 that i used as my daily driver and to pull my 20' bay boat and my camper. so when i was looking for something to replce it i liked the tundra the best, so i made sure i got one with a tow package and i already installed my brake controller but i forgot to check the tires and it just hit me today while i was at work. the tires on the truck are passenger tires not LTs, they are only rated to 2400lbs

so i have a question. i will be pulling a 5000lbs trailer this weekend with about a 400lbs tounge load. has anyone pulled roughly this weight on p275/55/r20 before? any problems? i have the tss package which is why i have 20's. its not as easy to find load range d or e in this size.

i checked the spare which i belive is an origonal, its an 18, but still rated the same. why would they sell a tow package vehicle with passenger tires on them?

a load range e in about the same size is rated for 1k more

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
If the tire rating is greater than GVWR why would they put tires on with a higher rating?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that. If Toyota sells you a TUNDRA with the tow package, it means that the tires are safe to pull within the specs. Even though the tires are "passenger".

I have been pulling various 6000 lbs trailers for 10 years with 4 different TUNDRAs and never had a problem with any of their tires.

No one is stopping you from buying LT tires, but I do not believe it is absolutely needed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If the tire rating is greater than GVWR why would they put tires on with a higher rating?
because when you buy 3/4 ton trucks with or with out a tow package they come with d or e rated tires. and im kinda learly because i had 2 blow outs on my yukon years ago useing passenger tires to pull my older smaller boat on the interstate even though the tires were rated for the weight

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I wouldn't worry about that. If Toyota sells you a TUNDRA with the tow package, it means that the tires are safe to pull within the specs. Even though the tires are "passenger".

I have been pulling various 6000 lbs trailers for 10 years with 4 different TUNDRAs and never had a problem with any of their tires.

No one is stopping you from buying LT tires, but I do not believe it is absolutely needed.
do you use passenger tires on yours?

id like to get some LT tires but im flat broke right now because im still fighting with the insurance company about the wreck and i used all my savings for the down payment on the tundra

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I'm running P rated tires towing my 6000 anchor. with 750 lb TW I just bump my rear axles tires to max while towing. So far they have outlasted 2 sets of trailer tires.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would be skeptical as well, My Tundra has the tow package and came with E rated tires so I tow with confidence. I tow between 7-8K (GVWR trailer) and wouldn't tow too far with passenger 20" radials. Thats just my opinion, based on what I would do in my case, considering my safety and that of other drivers on the road. Not saying you shouldn't do it or it hasn't been done successfully, just giving you my $.02 to your question.
Toyota does things that will make you scratch your head, a bit more so than other manufacturers INHO, tho I still like my Tundra, A LOT;)

Get creative, maybe find someone who may be interested in a trade and get 18" wheels and tires :dunno:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I would be skeptical as well, My Tundra has the tow package and came with E rated tires so I tow with confidence. I tow between 7-8K (GVWR trailer) and wouldn't tow too far with passenger 20" radials. Thats just my opinion, based on what I would do in my case, considering my safety and that of other drivers on the road. Not saying you shouldn't do it or it hasn't been done successfully, just giving you my $.02 to your question.
Toyota does things that will make you scratch your head, a bit more so than other manufacturers INHO, tho I still like my Tundra, A LOT;)

Get creative, maybe find someone who may be interested in a trade and get 18" wheels and tires :dunno:
Did you get your Tundra new or used? E rated tires or 10 plys are over kill !
NOTE: O.E. manufacturers match tires to a truck load carrying capacity.
not how much you are towing just carrying in the truck. I would assume the tires on your truck are not O.E.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
oops, missed the 20" part, since i have the 18's :p

·
Registered
371 Posts
I stand corrected. Bought it new, D rated, my bad. My Cummins came with BFG's E rated:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I'll be getting new tires this summer and have pretty much decided on a sport truck version. I'm mostly on road, with an occasional river bar. The Toyos I looked at are the same size as stock, 275/55-20 and are rated for 2833. Wouldn't that be enough for all but the largest trailers?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've towed our 7100# travel trailer close to 10,000 miles with the 275/75R18 P rated tires that came on the truck. Haven't had any problems. I air them up to 44 PSI when I tow which gets rid of some of the sidewall flex I feel when running the pressure posted on the door post.
That being said, I have 36,000 miles on the factory Michelins and I can't wait to get a real truck tire. I just prefer the truck to ride like a truck, and not a car.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I'd get Load Range E tires, when I switched to them on my Tundra it improved the ride significantly because you could run higher tire pressures. P rated tires at 33 PSI have a bit of squirm to them especially when loaded.

If you can't do tires right now, then it's probably "just fine" to run with the ones as supplied since they are rated on paper to have more combined load capacity than the vehicle itself, but why run at the limits of something when you could get a higher capacity product and run it at a fraction of its limits? Should be on the list anyway.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys, im gonna give it a shot this weekend and stick to hwys no interstates for me

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
As long as you aren't passing the actual payload cap of the truck you shouldn't be going over the tire rating.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i know i wont be over the rateing for the tires ive just had 2 seperate bad experiances with passenger tires while towing in the past and both times there was significant damage to the truck

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
Most often when tires fail it is due to improper inflation, dry rot, and also actual defects in the tire such as broken belts/cords.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i can assure you my tires get checked at every oil change, time i hook up a trailer or make a long road trip. and i always fill to tire specs not the tag in the door jam that number is just for comfortable ride not safety, i think they were just shitty tires. they were pepboys house brand

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
i can assure you my tires get checked at every oil change, time i hook up a trailer or make a long road trip. and i always fill to tire specs not the tag in the door jam that number is just for comfortable ride not safety, i think they were just shitty tires. they were pepboys house brand
LOL...Generic Tires? And you're trying to blame it on their rating??...Geeze...You'll be fine, just don't exceed the GVWR of the truck and your tires will handle it just fine.

If you're that paranoid about it (it seems so) then spend the money to make yourself feel better but until then, you won't have any issues, just make sure they are inflated properly and not overloaded.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
My Tundra came with E load tires

1 - 20 of 23 Posts