Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting cold here and I just started using the heat. I don't like hot air in my face because it makes me tired while driving so I usually use the floor vent selection. Well this truck when set onto floor only still blows a good amount out of air out of the upper vents too. I checked the truck floor vents front and rear and there's a good amount of air coming out both front and rear floor vents but its coming out the uppers a good amount too. Is this normal? Does your truck do this to or does it completely turn the upper off? Every other vehicle I've ever had has completely shut uppers off and only blown out of floor on the floor selections. Wondering if its typical or its a dealer run..

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
jeez,must really be colder up there than where i am (lower hudson valley),i'm still wearing shorts/t-shirts and cruising around with my windows open even at night,lol.but back to the point,when the vent is on floor,i don't feel anything coming out of the vents.maybe it's getting stuck on the vent/floor selection or between vent/floor and floor only selection?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jeez,must really be colder up there than where i am (lower hudson valley),i'm still wearing shorts/t-shirts and cruising around with my windows open even at night,lol.but back to the point,when the vent is on floor,i don't feel anything coming out of the vents.maybe it's getting stuck on the vent/floor selection or between vent/floor and floor only selection?
Yea its been low 40's high 30's every night for last week. And obviously my truck vent selector doesn't work on floor because it blows both upper and lower even on floor only. Great, another thing to add to list with this truck for the dealer.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Think its normal I get hot or cold air coming out no matter what I turn the knob to and with the system off.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
That is normal for the Tundra. It never completely turns off the top vents. I usually run mine one click towards defrost from the center. That seems to actually put more air on the floor than centered.
Sounds like this is your first winter with the Tundra so I suspect you'll have a bit of a learning curve. The heat is a bit slow at getting started but will roast you eventually.
It takes about 5 to 7 miles of driving to get it fully working. The the heat operates closer to the transmission temp gauge than the engine temp.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
That is normal for the Tundra. It never completely turns off the top vents. I usually run mine one click towards defrost from the center. That seems to actually put more air on the floor than centered.
Sounds like this is your first winter with the Tundra so I suspect you'll have a bit of a learning curve. The heat is a bit slow at getting started but will roast you eventually.
It takes about 5 to 7 miles of driving to get it fully working. The the heat operates closer to the transmission temp gauge than the engine temp.
I don't get any air blowing from the vents when the selector is in a different position.if i put it on floor thats where the air goes,was the same thing in my 08 as in my 12.did that this summer when i wanted the a/c on the feet instead of blowing at me.air will always flow in unless you hit the recirc button.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
528 Posts
I get a pretty good air flow from mine with the floor vent selected;I turn the upper vents off manually, with the adjuster below the vent outlets

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The outer top vents are fresh air vents, they never turn off. You have to close them manually with the little scroll/dial thing. The center vents should turn off when you set it to anything else.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
When mine is selected to floor only, the floor vents work great, but the upper vents continue blowing air at my face, not at full blow, but definitely like they are on low speed. All uppers do this not just the outside ones. Sounds like its normal for this then?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
When is the last time the cabin filter was changed? It sits right on top of the blower assy, so maybe something dropped in and is not allowing the flow door to close?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When is the last time the cabin filter was changed? It sits right on top of the blower assy, so maybe something dropped in and is not allowing the flow door to close?
Well, it supposively was changed when it was certified for sale as a certified used Toyota when I bought it in June, but they may have missed it so I will check that tonight. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts