Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be purchasing a set of hub-centric rings for my new (lug-centric) wheels (Black Rock Yuma 908m). The ones I have found are plastic. Are plastic rings sufficient? Do they actually support any of the load or do they just help center the wheel when tightening the lugs? Are there aluminum hub centric rings available?

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I have only seen plastic ones, they support no load

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I just found a set of aluminum rings from Motorsport Tech. Now these will support load correct? Basically achieving a hub-centric setup using an aftermarket lug-centric wheel. I've heard aluminum can become corroded and hard to remove over time. Regardless of cost, I want to use the best product.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
when I was a teen working at Discount Tires, the plastic rings did just fine for pretty much all applications they were used on, every now and then, you'd have one crack and snap, but it wasn't very frequent.

The Alum ones will in time get stuck to either your wheels or your hubs....and it's a pain in the ass to get off....worse case scenario is you have a blowout and the hub rings are stuck to your hub, your OEM spare will not fit on.

I say save the money and order 2 sets of plastic hub rings, put one set on and the other set throw in your dash and those will more than likely sit in there for quite sometime before you ever have to worry about using them as replacing one here and there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Alum ones will in time get stuck to either your wheels or your hubs....and it's a pain in the ass to get off....worse case scenario is you have a blowout and the hub rings are stuck to your hub, your OEM spare will not fit on.
Excellent point. Didn't even think of that. I'll go with plastic then.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just ordered my new wheels (17x8.5 MB Razors). I got the -6 mm offset which will give me about another 1 1/2" of stance over the stock 17x7.5 +17mm offset wheel. The bore diameter is 106.2 mm, so they technically aren't hub centric, but pretty darn close (two tenths of a millimeter). Got a great deal at Discount Tire Direct. I don't suppose any makes a 2/10 mm ring.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
the rock warrior wheels are 8" wide, dont worry about rings

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Rock Warrior wheels? I ordered the MB Wheels Razor wheels, 17x8.5.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Just ordered my new wheels (17x8.5 MB Razors). I got the -6 mm offset which will give me about another 1 1/2" of stance over the stock 17x7.5 +17mm offset wheel. The bore diameter is 106.2 mm, so they technically aren't hub centric, but pretty darn close (two tenths of a millimeter). Got a great deal at Discount Tire Direct. I don't suppose any makes a 2/10 mm ring.
Isn't the stock bore diameter around 110 mm? :confused:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Excellent point. Didn't even think of that. I'll go with plastic then.
Anti-seize is your friend. Wipe a little on the inside of the metal rings and a little on your hubs and you'll be just fine. You can get a single use pack of it from Autozone for like $0.99. Well worth the effort.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Won't be needing the rings any longer. The bore diameter on the MB Razor is 106.2 mm. Hub diameter is 106 mm (I just measured it). They said if they don't fit for some reason that they would pay the return shipping as long as I buy a different wheel from them. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Why wouldn't they clear the caliper?

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I see that your truck must be a 1st gen Tundra. 106 is the stock bore size for gen 1. Gen 2 stock bore size is 110.

You have no info in your signature so I have to guess.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, sorry, it is a 1st gen (2004). I just updated my signature with some details.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Isn't the stock bore diameter around 110 mm? :confused:
Ya, I think you're right. The Ballistic Jesters were hub centric and they are 110mm.
I don't think those MB's are gonna fit.:confused:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a 2004 Tundra. Sorry for the confusion. My signature has been updated.

Reactions: theoat

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just heard back from DTD about the wheels I just ordered. They are saying that they don't think they will clear the caliper. Damn it! Guess I'll have to go with my second choice. These showed up on their fitment guide so they should definitely fit. Only thing I don't like about them is the black lip because it makes the rim look smaller than it actually is. Should still look good though I think:

Raceline Wheels - 894-Monster Machined

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Turns out they are hub centric. Apparently the hub itself is 106 mm and the wheel bore is 106.2 mm which gives it clearance. I've been looking at a bunch of wheels lately and most of the 6x139.7 wheels are 106.2 mm. Otherwise there would be no tolerance for error. Also, I was told the wheels I bought may not fit and they didn't show up in the fitment guide, but turns out they do fit! Getting them mounted tomorrow and will post pics as soon as I get a chance.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Question about hub rings.. I have a 2nd gen with a 110mm hub correct? My XD Addicts have a bore of 110.5mm. would I need hub rings for that?
I assume not because.. its 1/2 of a mm.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Question about hub rings.. I have a 2nd gen with a 110mm hub correct? My XD Addicts have a bore of 110.5mm. would I need hub rings for that?
I assume not because.. its 1/2 of a mm.
That's considered hub centric. My wheel had the exact same spec. I couldn't find any ring that small. I called both the vendor and the company itself. They said that it IS a hub centric wheel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts