Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My MIL sent me an e-mail the other day with a link to a John Stossel ABC 20/20 investigation into tire dealers selling new/unused tires that were many, many years old. Well some have disintegrated and caused accidents and fatalities.

The video is about 10 minutes long.

Aged Tires: A Driving Hazard? - ABC News

You can tell the age of your tires by looking for a 4 digit code at the end of the small DOT information string imprinted on the sidewall (you may even have to look at the side "turned in") (i.e., 3409).

The first 2 digits of the 4 digit code represent the week of the year the tires were made (i.e., the 34th week of the year) and the last 2 represent the year manufactured - so for 3409 it would be the 34th week of 2009.

It looks like the general consensus is that you should not buy tires > 6 years old.

Not really applicable to us new truck drivers but, the information may come in handy if you are buying tires for another vehicle.

re.ac.tor :beerchug:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I received this from a friend the other day as well, it's very good information. I always knew you shouldn't keep tires past 6 years but had no idea companies were allowed to keep them on the shelf for that length of time. I forwarded the link to all my friends and family; I'd hate to loose a loved one over something so easily preventable.

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
You should always check the born on date of tires. My new Nittos were made in the 46th week of 2009.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I knew they had the date on them, just never knew where or how.
Thanks for the info!

·
Banned
427 Posts
Great info. Just found out my tires were from 2009! Surprised they are using 2 digit year though, did they learn nothing from y2k?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks for the info I'm gonna check mine tomorrow, I think undoubtedly they were over a year old when I got them since they were dry rotted from day 1.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wonder when they started putting the date codes on them... I've got more than a couple tires with none of those markings.

I'm sure they're fine. ;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ouch! Dry rot tires on your 2010?
Yeah, according to the tires they say 2209, I bought the truck on July 24th 2009 so they weren't old at all but Bridgestones are shit tires IMO. We have a guy at work who got an CC F150 3 weeks after mine, we are both close to 50k miles and his Michelins look great whereas I'd be lucky to get another 15k out of mine.

On my last truck I had michelens and took 2 sets to over 100k miles. My brother has a CC Sierra and took BFGoodrich A/T's to like 112k or something crazy, which surprised me since he had another set that wore out at like 60k.

Either way for road tires it's hard to beat Michelins IMO.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I wonder when they started putting the date codes on them... I've got more than a couple tires with none of those markings.

I'm sure they're fine. ;)
Date codes have been there for a long time, some manufactures only stamp it on one side, check the other sidewall

1 - 19 of 19 Posts