Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just did the 60k oil change. According to the scheduled maintenance it states to change spark plugs every [EDIT] 30k for emissions warranty. I'm not worried about that.
I've yet to change the plugs on my Tundra.
I have a 100 mile roundtrip off-peak daily commute, so most of my miles are highway miles at low revs. I do haul and tow occasionally, and also put a few miles off road on the ranch, occasionally in 4WD low.

So, time to change them? If so, anyone recommend a good brand?

· "Resident Liberal"
13,624 Posts
It's too damn hot for me to walk out to my truck and check the manual but I can't believe they say to change them at 15K. Like Sabbadoo said, most vehicles nowadays say 100K. I will have to check my manual after the sun goes down.

· Registered
28 Posts
15K is excessive and completely unnecessary. If you have a 4.6L or 5.7L, it comes equipped with iridium plugs and the change interval is 120K miles.

They run about $12 a plug.

· Registered
14,312 Posts
BUT... it is a good idea to pull them out and put antiseize on them so as to prevent the ford spark plug issue... where they break off or pull the threads out of the head...

always a good idea. also antiseize the bolts that hold the coil on... my fj i was afraid to pull the bolt out @ 40k, i ended up trading it in, but it was a rusty bolt with aluminum oxidization around it too..

· Premium Member
6,883 Posts
where do people keep reading they need to be replaced at 15k? is it really in the manual somewhere? I would not be surprised if it is actually printed in there somewhere.

I would check one of the plugs at 50k

· Registered
2,918 Posts
where do people keep reading they need to be replaced at 15k? is it really in the manual somewhere? I would not be surprised if it is actually printed in there somewhere.

I would check one of the plugs at 50k
I believe it's the V-6 that has a 15k plug change interval.

· Registered
2,357 Posts
V6 4 LITER engine like the 4th gen 4runner is every 30,000 miles, but visit that site and people have pulled them at 60,000 miles and they still look good.
And those are not iridium with NGK on one side and DENSO on the other from the factory. Go figure?
Wonder which is better DENSO OR NGK?
Not much difference between them< just make sure it is a jap plug going back in. Jap import vehicles dont agree with non jap plugs

· Registered
14,312 Posts
yea, when i had the fj there were alot of peeps that just assumed 100k service and went to that mark... even mine were at over 40k and i didnt change them, i thought about it, once or twice lol.

was funny with the denso on one bank and ngk on the other on some hahaha.

they are both about the same, as long as your not trying to put ac's or champions in it its ok.

· Registered
49 Posts
BUT... it is a good idea to pull them out and put antiseize on them so as to prevent the ford spark plug issue... where they break off or pull the threads out of the head...
I have owned both a mustang GT and F150 with the craptastic Ford 2 peice spark plugs. They did come to the senses in 2008 and changed the head design to take a regular one peice plug.

Being that the 5.7 uses a one peice plug this wont be an issue, and the antiseize will likely to more harm than good.

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I'm at 116,000 miles. I'm still getting 20-21mpg. When that starts to drop then we can change the plugs. Or when I get to 150k miles. I did have to change out what Toyota calls the Drive Monitor. I call it the Info switch on the dashboard. The spring went out in it because I use it so much. At a price of $103 for the switch it better last sometime. Still on original brakes.

· Registered
12 Posts
I got a used 2004 Tundra DC Limited two years ago (Oct 2010) and the plugs had never been replaced at 50k miles so i opted for some NGK Iridiums. I always buy NGK since i've never had a problem with them and they have been great, no problems.

Hopefully the longer life and more precise spark justifies the additional expense, but really, since you only have to replace spark plugs very infrequently anyway why not go with a higher end plug (seriously, 8 of these plugs cost less than a tank of gas in this truck so why not, they're supposed to last a lot longer).

Here's a link to the ones i got on Amazon, i order most of my parts online just for the sake of ease and low price, just make sure the fit calculator says it fits your year and model:

NGK (6418) BKR6EIX Iridium IX Spark Plug

Save yourself some money and get the parts and change them yourself. Here's a HOW TO write up:
Toyota-Tundra Spark Replacement How To Guide

· Registered
180 Posts
My wife's 07 Camry had iridium NGK plugs. At 175K miles, I thought I should change the plugs. I was worried about the Ford breaking plug syndrome so I put a few drops of Kroil on the plugs. They came right out - no problem. The original plugs looks almost new. The gap spec was .043 and the used plugs had "burned" down to .044. I won't change the plugs in my Tundra before 175K miles unless fuel economy drops.

Reactions: Dixon Cider
1 - 20 of 28 Posts