Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

How many miles can the 4.7 V8 go??

122K views 48 replies 41 participants last post by  CapnGimp 
#1 ·
I keep reading that the 4.7 V8 engine and trans are solid--upwards of 300K+ original miles and I saw one article with one guy having 415K miles. Wow! I hope I can get that because I like my truck and I plan on keeping it indefinitely. Currently at 220K.

What has been the experience on here of others and what other high mileage stories are out there??

Reactions: ernestvs
#32 ·
Did they redesign the 4.7 at all before they stuck it in the 2nd Generation in 07?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 ·
:crickets:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#43 ·
Hi. First time Toyota owner, new to the forum. I've been a mechanic for 40 years. I did a timing belt/ water pump replacement on a 4.7 and was so impressed with how robust and easy to work on the engine was, I went looking for a 4 door Tundra with the 4.7. The one I bought was a very clean '05 Limited with 305K. I've had it 2 years, put on 35K so it now has 340K. Nothing has been done with the engine other than plugs and timing belt. All parts on the truck are original (other than brakes) except for right lower ball joint. That aftermarket replacement ball joint broke in the first 5000 miles for lack of grease put in the 'permanent lubed' joint when it was manufactured. The engine starts and runs perfect. After 6000 miles the oil still looks like it was just put in. I believe the 4.7 is easily a 500,000 mile engine.
I was looking for parts on-line and came across the identical Tundra to mine for sale, except it was '06 and had half as many miles. I want to drive the truck for the next 20 years and I hated to watch the '05 deteriorate so I bought the '06.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

The puller is '05 with 340K.

#44 ·
Toyota's can last a long time. I've seen some mint condition HiLux, pick up's and Tacoma's with 500K on the odometer. Some people take better care of their trucks than others. If you are willing to do preventative maintenance, then It's definitely possible to get high mileage out of your truck. I have 216K on my '05. The previous owner didn't take the best care of it, but stayed on top of maintenance. That's important to me.

#47 ·
Ken, my 2004 had 379K on it when I wrecked it, ran like new, no leaks, no smoke. Its also worth noting that I pulled horse trailers and my big heavy boat frequently. I drove it daily for 16 years. I had zero problems out of that truck. A couple, I think 2006s, have passed the million mile mark. I really wanted to see just how many miles it would go but, i hit a bridge with some ice on it, and that was the end of it.. If you maintain that engine and dont abuse it when you drive it, it should go a long time. It was such a great truck, I searched for another 1st gen and finally found a 2000 4x4 with the 4.7L and bought it yesterday, it has 199K miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.