Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading that the 4.7 V8 engine and trans are solid--upwards of 300K+ original miles and I saw one article with one guy having 415K miles. Wow! I hope I can get that because I like my truck and I plan on keeping it indefinitely. Currently at 220K.

What has been the experience on here of others and what other high mileage stories are out there??

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
History would suggest that most Toyota engines will last as long as they are properly maintained and cared for. Change your oil religiously, and ride it till it dies!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
My old 2003 4Runner had the 4.7 but I traded it for the Tundra when it had about 95k miles. No issues at all, had some guts to it, loved that 4Runner.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I have an 03 4Runner 4.7

Great machine. I'm selling it soon, it's been a great rig. Small and super maneuverable in the woods....I'll miss it.

It has 130k and runs like a sewing machine with balls!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude if you take care of it you'll sell it or die before it goes out on you! You have more miles than me but I've met an old timer in person who was just past 345K miles on OG motor and trans.

I'm a touch over 175k myself. Nothing I'd define as a problem so far.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 03 AC 4.7 had 183,000 when I sold it for $6500
My 06 DC 4.7 has 190,000 and is going strong. It makes some strange noises, but it's strong. (strong enough to pull my 9000 pound trailer and load up the mountains in CO)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Damn, how do you guys put so much mileage on your trucks ?

I have 86,600 on my 01 Limited, and since I only put about 5,000 on her a year should I expect her to last forever ?

Reactions: Drunk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn, how do you guys put so much mileage on your trucks ?

I have 86,600 on my 01 Limited, and since I only put about 5,000 on her a year should I expect her to last forever ?
I bought my truck used already had 146K miles. I live in Sou Cal everyone drives everywhere. I wish it didn't have so many miles but is what it is. At only 86K miles your truck is still new

·
Premium Member
10,631 Posts
I bought my truck used already had 146K miles. I live in Sou Cal everyone drives everywhere. I wish it didn't have so many miles but is what it is. At only 86K miles your truck is still new
86K miles of pot holes. Buffalo's roads are crap. I heard they even have a hot line to call city workers to fix the holes.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
I keep reading that the 4.7 V8 engine and trans are solid--upwards of 300K+ original miles and I saw one article with one guy having 415K miles. Wow! I hope I can get that because I like my truck and I plan on keeping it indefinitely. Currently at 220K.

What has been the experience on here of others and what other high mileage stories are out there??
Since you've got an 02 like myself, I wouldn't suggest doing a lot of towing in overdrive; the planetary gears in the transmission are a weak point to the 00-02 Tundra.

I'm at 165K myself; burning up gas at the cost of $320 a month since I don't get reimbursed driving 70 miles to/from work now instead of the past when I only drove 10 miles to/from the closest facility to work.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'm thinking my 05 will last me till i'm unable to drive anymore...I've got a whopping 45K as of last saturday....
I'm in the low miles class as well. Currently at 24K on my 2000 and thinking it
will end up in Toyota museum some day after break-in is completed..;)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
This is encouraging. My 2007 4.7L only has 65K on it, and I plan on having my truck until it completely rusts out from under me. I know some folks will poo-poo the 4.7, but since I don't tow anything more than a utility trailer, it gives me all the power I need. I have a friend that has a 2002 Access Cab with a 4.7 that tows a fully enclosed car trailer containing a 1956 Ford Victoria through the hills of Pennsylvania effortlessly. I should know, because he makes me drive it when he needs to tow the trailer. :lol5:

Oil and timing belt changes = no problems + high mileage

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought my 2000 4.7 tundra with 191K on it. It was my son in law's and he did nothing to it but drive the hell out of it. I put the first timing belt it ever had on it at 191K and now have 220K. I just bought a 2008 tundra 4.7 crewmax unlimited with 96K on it that I tow my 4500 lb Travel Trailer with ease. The 4.7, in my opinion is one of the best engines Toyota ever built. Two Tundra are better than one.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
I'm in the low miles class as well. Currently at 24K on my 2000 and thinking it
will end up in Toyota museum some day after break-in is completed..;)
Yours hasn't had enough miles to equate to a trip around the world yet. :D
Mine's been around 7 times.

Reactions: jbtoy1

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

With regard to the thread title, the 4.7 can go 1 more mile than the 4.6 can.

:D

Just messing around. Those Gen 1's seem fairly rock solid.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts