Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

61 - 80 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Michigan....... Big 3 enough said.

I may as well be driving the antichrist.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oregon is a Die hard big three diesel state. Go big or go home seems to be the attitude. Problem is, my last truck was a diesel. Got tired of that big ass, heavy, loud, stinky truck. Loved it in a lot of ways, but no need for a diesel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Where I'm from they are not thought of very good at all. I think that is the way it is is most rural areas. The last year or so really have seen more than usual though. Chevy and Ford prices with there recent redesigns have went threw the roof, while the Tundra has stayed the same and has went from the most expensive to cheapest over the years. Also like mentioned a lot of smaller businesses seem to be going for the tundra they must have a very competitive lease program.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i was one of the first or the first tundra owner in our neighborhood and neighbors asked me how i like my tundra. i always tell them you can't beat the reliability and resale value. next thing you know there are a bunch of tundra's in my neighborhood now. some of them first time owners of pickup trucks others converted from one of the big 3.

·
Registered
83 Posts
MN - Twin Cities here. I would agree with the other MN comments. You do see more and more. I do get the "why don't you buy a real truck?" from buddies, but we all give each other crap. Went offroading with some Jeep buddies and they were all very impressed and surprised by the capability.

My thought is to each their own... Buy what you like and don't worry about it.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
I think Tulsa Ok probably has the biggest market share of anyone. I don't travel to the coasts anymore but locally they are everywhere. Quite a few in Missouri as well.

Until I bought my 08 I never really paid attention but now I see tons of pre 2007 Tundras everywhere.
Quite a few Tacos as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in Illinois too, and I always remind people who think they are buying "American" that what they are really buying is "Government" -- who is in fact competing against free, entrepreneurial Americans, and so they're hurting free, entrepreneurial Americans...not me.

And then I tell them, that I always reward buy the best product at the best price, besides, there really isn't an "all American" vehicle being built today. Toyota employs lots of Americans. It's all perception. Love my 2012 Tundra...new ones not so much!

·
Registered
124 Posts
NE. Ohio. Don't see a whole lot of Tundra's here. But you see a bunch of beat up Fords....But I do see an over abundance at campgrounds pulling RV trailers. So you buy a Tundra for it's reliability. The only reason I bought one was to RV up to Alaska last summer (14k miles). I wish when I bought mine It had been ordered with the larger fuel tank.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I live in NC and there are tons of Tundras here and throughout the southeast. I'm a contractor and get compliments all the time from my customers and the other contractors I work with and interact with. It is very popular here for all of the reasons we bought them. Durability, reliability, etc., etc......I have never once been criticized for not driving a Chevy, Ford or Dodge. In fact, I'd say my Tundra actually helps me close bids with my customers because I choose quality over anything else.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'll tell you what, I don't think I've ever seen so many Toyotas in my life then when I was in HI! Tons of Tacos, you aren't kidding. I think the mix of of the remote roads and Polynesian population makes it the ultimate vehicle.

So it does seem more like a Midwestern/farmer thing that are still the haters, I think I hear it the most when i'm in MI. When people ask me how I like it, I say I love the truck but if you want one, don't buy it to make friends, buy it because you like the truck. I mean that makes sense for everything I suppose but specifically for this topic.

I came from the great Aloha state and moved to MD for work.... besides this lame state. I see a lot of Fords. Tundras here and there. I get a lot of "should have bought American".....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in PA, but right near the border and spend more time in MD and VA. Not unusual to see Tacos and Tundras around but it's not like in SoCal, for sure. People who drive the big 3 here are not shy about letting you know they think you're a communist or something - even perfect strangers. I've heard it more in VA, for some reason, but occasionally elsewhere. Rarely any opportunity for me to explain WHY I drive a Tundra and probably none would care to learn about the parts origins either. Maybe wouldn't matter to them that I drove Fords all my life but was tired of having them broke down or in the shop ALL THE TIME! The F-250 I traded in on my 2015 CM was 23 years old. I spent way more $$$ over the years keeping it on the road than I spent buying it in the first place. It was always broke, or about to be and it stranded me numerous times. There's only so far a guy will go to be faithful to something that lets him down all the time. I felt I did my due diligence to the big 3 before I defected (see what I did there?). My brother-in-law out in Oregon says he'd rather be dead than drive a foreign truck. How's that for loyalty, LMAO!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where I'm from they are not thought of very good at all. I think that is the way it is is most rural areas. The last year or so really have seen more than usual though. Chevy and Ford prices with there recent redesigns have went threw the roof, while the Tundra has stayed the same and has went from the most expensive to cheapest over the years. Also like mentioned a lot of smaller businesses seem to be going for the tundra they must have a very competitive lease program.
I guess the corporate brainwashing is working, then. Didn't you know? If you don't drive one of the big 3 you're not American! (Sheesh) :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Being in the land of the rising sun, and a strong emphasis on compact and "eco" cars, I get mixed feelings and comments from the locals such as "how can you drive such a big vehicle here" "Where do you park it", "what kind of gas mileage do you get", "how big is the engine", "WHAT! Its GASOLINE!?",:eek: etc. The are quite a few people who think its a cool while others (primarily older folks) think is a big gas-guzzling pig that should not be allowed on the streets of Japan. But on the flip-side, I get more compliments and rubber-necking than hater looks and snobbish attitudes. Being that mine is lifted also adds the wow factor especially when the vehicles in front of me see nothing but bumper/grill and kindly pull-over and allow me to pass. (Yes, they drive very slow here). We even have quite a few who are puzzled when they see the Toyota logo on the grill in wonder as they have never seen such a Toyota before. I do have a few Military folks who have "truck envy" as they too own trucks left behind back stateside. Everyday driving is an adventure in Japan ;)
I'd like to experience that. I can relate a little in another way. I owned a YJ Jeep when I lived in Germany a lifetime ago. The looks/rubbernecking I got, especially in some of the smaller town were priceless. Nevermind that on the Autobahn my top speed was like 60MPH, and that was downhill with a good tail wind. Not made for THAT kind of driving. Thanks for the good memory, Oki!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Northern Nevada

Tundras everywhere! Cowboys, ranchers, farmers, hunters, fishermen, miners, campers, skiers, off-girders, survivalist, freaks and weirdos all ditching the big three for Tundras because they WORK! People simply can't afford to have their trucks living at the mechanic/dealer. There is work to get done and fun to be had! We are everywhere.
>:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here, living within walking distance to a GM plant, I get shit about it. Especially from retired GM employees.

I don't care. I buy what I want. GM, Ford, and Dodge (when it was Dodge) never put food on my table, or clothes on my back. I owe them nothing.

SO I just buy what I want and anyone that hates can suck it.
I agree with that but in the northern mountains of PA a person has to be careful who they say it to. Everyone carries a gun here. I mean everyone. :|

·
Registered
10 Posts
Northern Minnesota here. I see quite a few Tundra's running around lately. When I was driving my 4Runner for the last 6 years I don't remember seeing this many Tundras. Of course owning a vehicle you actually SEE them. With that, I tend to wave at Tundra guys who have them lifted, rims, or otherwise custom looking. It is good to see others that also enjoy the trucks.

I did have a great experience when I was trying to sell my fiberglass topper off my 08 Tundra on CL. I had a guy randomly emailing me how I was the reason people were out of work in the country bla bla bla. Like others have said, what have the big 3 auto manufactures given you to where you feel obligated to buy the some old crap that rusts out in 8 years?

Love the Tundra. I'm really hoping in the next 8-10 years they offer a HD version so I don't have to buy a Dodge Ram Diesel...
See, that's what I mean, too! How does a perfect stranger give you s%$t like that? My buds and I mess around like that all the time, but it's friendly, ya know? I'm just WAITING for the day when one of them shows up with a Tundra or Taco. It won't be long, I'm guessing. Then...it's on...>:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is the second post today I've seen with you complaining about the fuel economy of the Tundra vs the Ford. I actually had a 2014 Ford F-150. It was similarly outfitted as my Tundra. I had the V8 5.0 motor in it and guess what... it only got 1mpg more to the gallon. It also had a sagging headliner within the first 20k miles and they acted like if they replaced it they would be doing me a HUGE favor.

I'll take resale and reliability of the Tundra over a whole 1 mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A buddy of mine, who actually inspired me to buy a Tundra traded his in on an F-150 with the Eco-boost. He gets no more than 2 mpg better than my Tundra and usually less. He says it broke his heart to have to buy away but he needed some strange combination of towing capability for pulling his new goose-neck trailer that he could only get with Ford. Something about the layout of the bed where the hitch has to go, but whatever. Eco-boost is only 2 mpg better? That seems weird to me.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
A buddy of mine, who actually inspired me to buy a Tundra traded his in on an F-150 with the Eco-boost. He gets no more than 2 mpg better than my Tundra and usually less. He says it broke his heart to have to buy away but he needed some strange combination of towing capability for pulling his new goose-neck trailer that he could only get with Ford. Something about the layout of the bed where the hitch has to go, but whatever. Eco-boost is only 2 mpg better? That seems weird to me.
Depends how you drive it, I have a friend who has one and is getting 9.9 mpg.. Guess if you are always on boost it isnt so much eco.

61 - 80 of 178 Posts