Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How the Tundra is perceived in your part of the country?

I've always lived in the Midwest (currently IL) and I would say for the most part people dislike them and err towards the big 3 and hate on Tundras bc it isn't considered "American." Now I know all of us on here know the build percentages and whatnot but i'd say most around here don't want to hear it and don't care. Every once an a while i'll hear a, "I like it but I wouldn't drive it."

So i'm wondering, in other areas, especially CO, AZ, CA, WA and some of the bigger offroad areas, how do people look at them? Is it the same mentality or since there is a larger offroad following in those parts they are more tolerated?

·
Registered
127 Posts
How the Tundra is perceived in your part of the country?

I've always lived in the Midwest (currently IL) and I would say for the most part people dislike them and err towards the big 3 and hate on Tundras bc it isn't considered "American." Now I know all of us on here know the build percentages and whatnot but i'd say most around here don't want to hear it and don't care. Every once an a while i'll hear a, "I like it but I wouldn't drive it."

So i'm wondering, in other areas, especially CO, AZ, CA, WA and some of the bigger offroad areas, how do people look at them? Is it the same mentality or since there is a larger offroad following in those parts they are more tolerated?
cali has tundras and tacos everywhere, seem very popular and well liked here

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yeah theres about 5 tundras in my neighborhood alone here in socal. Lots of em.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I live on the east side of Washington and they are everywhere. People seem to love Toyota trucks around here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Midwester here (MN). Most of what I see are Silverados and F-150's.

But I agree with OP most people with trucks lean toward the big 3. However, I get compliments on my truck about once a week from all kinds.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hawaii has lots of Toyota trucks. Tacomas are first pick, but lots of Tundras are on the road too.
I'll tell you what, I don't think I've ever seen so many Toyotas in my life then when I was in HI! Tons of Tacos, you aren't kidding. I think the mix of of the remote roads and Polynesian population makes it the ultimate vehicle.

So it does seem more like a Midwestern/farmer thing that are still the haters, I think I hear it the most when i'm in MI. When people ask me how I like it, I say I love the truck but if you want one, don't buy it to make friends, buy it because you like the truck. I mean that makes sense for everything I suppose but specifically for this topic.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And along with what AJFiasco said, this does seem specific to trucks. We have Honda SUVs and Nissan vans in the family and it doesn't seem to be as scrutinized, people seem to be much more touchy on the trucks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Even here in Texas I get a lot of people who down on the Tundra because, "It isn't American." Really seems to be a love them/hate them kind of thing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I could see that in TX. I did hear there were quite a few there though, which I can on assume is bc of the manuf.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Even here in Texas I get a lot of people who down on the Tundra because, "It isn't American." Really seems to be a love them/hate them kind of thing.
I thought with the plant there you would see them all over.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
I live in Southeast Ohio in a rural area. I mostly see the big 3 but there are a handful of tundras as well. Anyone I talk to likes my truck and never really experienced anyone being negative about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
North, well past St Cloud, a few Tundras. Mostlythe big three. I think if Toyota made a HD we would see a few more. Lots of farmers and stuff.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If this question had been asked of me several years ago I would have said that except for a few, the Toyota truck was hated and not thought highly of here. I bought my first new vehicle which was a Toyota pickup in '90 and working at the plant I heard nothing but how it wouldn't last 30,000 miles and it would be junk. You bought a Jap truck? That went on and on for awhile until I hit that 30K miles, and then 50K, 100K, 150K, etc. and with no troubles. It didn't take long for Toyota vehicles to start showing up in the parking lot and people shut their mouths when the mileage kept climbing until that little truck had over 485,000K miles on it. I also had a 4Runner and it had a little over 325,000 on it when I traded it on an FJ Cruiser and eventually got over 203K on it before I traded it on my Tundra.

In this area there are a lot of the Big 3 diesel trucks for the oil/gas fields and other industry along with private vehicles towing horse trailers, toy haulers etc. That's pretty much normal, and won't change much. There are a bunch of Tundras around here too along with Tacoma being driven as private vehicles and I see more all the time. The big change I've seen in the last few years are a lot more Tundras being used by smaller companies that do electrical work, carpentry, service stuff for other bigger companies, basically small contractors. They've been trading off their Big 3 trucks and going to the Tundra. I rarely have anyone say anything bad about me owning a Toyota anymore.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's true, it does seem like in the past couple years the fleets have been switching over. I think what we see out here is bc it is such a union ran area being close to chi is that lots of shops dont like their employees pulling up to jobs in them too. Out west Toyota has done such a good job sponsoring youtube folk that do overlanding and doing the summits and whatnot it fits great. Starting to trickle over. Even at work when i bought my truck 5yrs ago i got some flack then a fews pass and one of the people traded their chevy for a 4runner. Tastefully (of course) i had to be like... well well well. To each his own and their choice is their choice, no reason for people to get boned up over something they dont agree with. They are also convinced that since jap and scrap rhyme it has to be true :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im really curious is toyota is sitting back seeing how the Titan XD does. It was smart on Nissans part to use a cummins, at least its a name people know to peak peoples interest that wouldnt generally buy it. I noticed they are having one on next season of desiel brothers. Wonder if itll be an honest reaction from them or did Nissan use them to market it.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
And if you mention that it has more American labor in it than the big 3, they don't give a shit. Real men drive duallies with diesels, and wear a cowboy hat.

Basically they are sensitive to fitting in with their crowd. Follow the herd.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
In North Carolina, Tacos and Tundras are everywhere. Once I was in a big grocery store parkng lot and there were 17 Toyota trucks in the parking lot and no others.

I consider the Tundra an American made vehicle. My Dad was a Dodge dealer. They can be fun, and are quite popular like the Fords when diesel dualy duty is required.

If you want a real Japanese vehicle, 100% Nipponese, the Toyota offering is the Land Cruiser. No doubt made to a different standard than our American made trucks. And we have a 100% Japanese Nissan too, a 350Z Nismo. Solid little car.

But if you really want to see a place where Toyota trucks are appreciated as the very most desirable, go to anywhere that third world civil wars and rebellions and terrorists regimes rule.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Lots of Tundras and a ton of Tacomas around me, but I only know one of each.

Mostly people ask me why I didnt buy an F-150. I tell them I wanted something made in America that costs less that 50 grand. Usually shuts them up.

Edit: Sorry, Southern New Jersey.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts