Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just like having extra range, needed or not. Going from 26.5 gallons to 36.5 gallons increases my range by about 170 miles. (calculated using combined 17mpg, 450 miles to 620) Driving over 600 miles without need of a gas station brings peace of mind, especially during these volatile days.

For me nothing beats steel 5 gallon Jerry cans with metal spouts. These are harder to come by as environmentalists have destroyed companies like Blitz and lobbied legislation in several states to only sell cheap plastic spill-spoof (not spill proof!) crapolla cans and spouts.

I have two 5 gallon Blitz Jerry cans blocked and braced in the back of my long bed. To make them last and work efficiently I coated the interior seams with POR 15 tank sealer and installed DIY brass bolt breather holes on top that can be loosened when pouring gas through the metal spout, or tightened down to keep the cans air tight & vapor sealed.
FUEL STORAGE TIP: Keep the tank full and airtight so no vapors escape, hence no need to add fuel stabilizers. I have stored fuel this way for over 3 years at a time with no decrease in MPG. Keep cans out of direct sunlight on hotter than Hades days and they won’t expand beyond the worry point.

Alternatively, I can forgo the spouts and use a ball pump hose to siphon gas into my tank. Gravity siphon fed from the can sitting atop the tonneau cover.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How hot does it get in the bed under the tonneau cover on a hot sunny day? I wish I had A bigger tank like I had In my 99 Suburban. That truck held 42 gallons. I have seen Tundra owners add a second tank.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How hot does it get in the bed under the tonneau cover on a hot sunny day? I wish I had A bigger tank like I had In my 99 Suburban. That truck held 42 gallons. I have seen Tundra owners add a second tank.
The cover is 1” thick, while the black surface does absorb heat it isn’t that significant. If I had to guess… 5 degrees over the outdoor temp. I just might test it on a hot day.
1200 $ plus for a larger tank is the gold standard… but I only have copper Pennies.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Out of curiosity how many times have you NEEDED to use the extra fuel?
Moot point. You are asking a prepper. Akin to asking me how many times I have gone through bags of stored rice due to need.

Pardon the pun, but we live in a volatile world. Stay prepared my friend, because a lack of planning could be the end of you.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Moot point. You are asking a prepper. Akin to asking me how many times I have gone through bags of stored rice due to need.

Pardon the pun, but we live in a volatile world. Stay prepared my friend, because a lack of planning could be the end of you.
Haha, good luck with your extra 10 gallons of gas.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did a heat test. Placed a thermometer next to the jerry cans and parked the truck in full sun for a few hours. At 12 noon the outdoor temp was 100f… IR temp of the topside black tonneau cover was 185f….underside tonneau cover was 162f…. Inside thermometer was 115f… and jerry cans were 120f. No vapor leaks. I ended the experiment and parked inside the garage. While I have seen full plastic jerrycans bulged in 132 degree heat, I prefer keeping mine cooler, so will be painting my tonneau cover white.

Thanks for bringing that up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Get a 38-gallon Tundra gas tank or keep on carrying Jerry Cans or RotoPax cans.
The 38-gallon tank sure is nice on long trips in remote areas.

Reactions: RCLB Scogan

·
Registered
14 Posts
the one complaint I have on the 38gal tank (I have this also)... are the baffles on it.
I have yet to actually put any more than 36gal in my tank when it says "empty". But it is nice to get a few more miles on distant driving, especially when pulling a travel trailer through the mountains.

If ya the room, I'de say +1 on the jerry cans.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get a 38-gallon Tundra gas tank or keep on carrying Jerry Cans or RotoPax cans.
The 38-gallon tank sure is nice on long trips in remote areas.
But the costs is steep. I’m wondering if I could sell or exchange + $ on a 36? What did you do with your 26?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the one complaint I have on the 38gal tank (I have this also)... are the baffles on it.
I have yet to actually put any more than 36gal in my tank when it says "empty". But it is nice to get a few more miles on distant driving, especially when pulling a travel trailer through the mountains.

did you replace it yourself and if you did what did you do with the OEM tank. I’m thinking there must be a few sitting around somewhere. I need to look and see if there is room for another 26 under my longbed. if so what are your thoughts on two 26 tanks?

·
Registered
31 Posts
But the costs is steep. I’m wondering if I could sell or exchange + $ on a 36? What did you do with your 26?
My 2018 Tundra came with the 38-gallon tank. I hangs down a bit but I put a skid plate on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts

How did you decide on ten gallons. What if you need 11 when doomsday rolls around? Or 1000? I hope my query doesn’t make you lose sleep.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How did you decide on ten gallons. What if you need 11 when doomsday rolls around? Or 1000? I hope my query doesn’t make you lose sleep.
Trust me, if I could haul a gas station I would. I hope that satisfies your snarky ass!

·
Registered
168 Posts

Same deal with the 26.5gal tank. From ‘empty’ / ‘zero miles remaining’ mine has never taken more than 22.5gal. Not sure if the missing 4gal are useable once you’re on empty or not, but I am sure that 22.5gal doesn’t go very far when you’re towing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I carry jerrycans, I always leave tonneau cover open as a safety precaution. Things could go from bad to worse too quickly if a jerrycan leaked/vented under a closed tonneau cover. Be safe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts