Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 DC and I don't really want to invest money into a system however I have some amps (elemental designs 4ch, JL 300/4, JL 500/1) just laying around that I could add to the truck.

Is it even worth the hassle and lost storage space on the factory HU and speakers? :confused:

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I think that many are finding the post confusing...

I don't know where or what you are meaning by lost storage space on the factory h-u and speakers...

Are you meaning the space the amps take up or the space behind or under the seats a sub would take up or??? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess what I'm wondering is whether or not adding an amp to a stock stereo will make it sound better and what it will take to wire this to a factory headunit since I've never done that before. I've always had aftermarket HU's in the past.

·
Registered
232 Posts
it will definitely be better than stock. however, the cost of the LOC will pretty much get you a decent head unit, depending on your wants....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is an LOC?

I really don't want to add an HU to this truck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOC's are not that expensive....
unless you go with a high end one....

most amps already have a highfilter input...

a regular LOC should cost about $40ish...

you will need to run a remote wire, i ran mine from the cigarette lighter on the left side, as it is a switched power source....
Would you mind linking me to one? :D

·
Registered
621 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are there any features I should look out for? Lots of reasonably priced ones on amazon.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I would be careful with just using a basic LOC.

I was in your position. I didn't want anyone to know I had a system and I wanted to keep the look of the factory head unit. I tried using the basic LOC's in the beginning but was very unhappy with the quality of the music.

I started doing some research and realized why; I'll try to explain it the best I can. What I found out is that the factory stereo actually sends a slightly different power signal to the speakers for every single increment of volume. For example, if you set your volume on level 10, there will be a different power output signal than level 11. They do this because the engineers at all manufacturers are trying to get the absolute best sound out of the cheap factory speakers. While some would argue this isn't a big deal and that it's not noticeable, once you add 300-600 watts of power to those same speakers the poor quality is very noticeable.

The best option is to get an advanced line output converter/processor like a JL Audio Clean Sweep or a Rockford Audio 360. What these do is take that distorted power signal from the factory head unit and convert it to a smooth and clean power stream with zero ups or downs.

Then, that smooth clean signal goes through your amps, is amplified obviously, and sent to your speakers.

Again, some would say it's not worth the cost... however; after having both setups, I would never again keep a factory unit without some type of advanced signal processing.

I attached a picture below which may give you an idea of the size of the JL Clean Sweep and how I have everything mounted. The Rockford 360 is a little smaller but all the tuning is manual.

Also, make sure you take your ground cable down to the frame. With our three part frames, the biggest complaint that I see is "noise" in the system due to poor grounding. I have also learned this the hard way too!

Hope this helps...

Another note; I helped my brother with the exact same setup (RA 360, not JL Clean Sweep) in his 2013 double cab. It was a little tight under the seats but we made it work. Built a custom fit platform from plywood so everything would sit level.

Not the cleanest setup but it works in my crew max. (Also, I am missing one RCA cable that connects the speaker amp to my sub amp and the speaker cables to my sub. I installed them just after the picture).

Reactions: jimr78

·
Registered
269 Posts
Replacing your door speakers would be the "A" answer in conjunction with the LOC for your amplifiers. The factory speakers just aren't capable of high volume constant work. Even the stock jbl system I pulled out of my truck was of cheap quality. IMHO

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Replacing your door speakers would be the "A" answer in conjunction with the LOC for your amplifiers. The factory speakers just aren't capable of high volume constant work. Even the stock jbl system I pulled out of my truck was of cheap quality. IMHO

I agree with you there. The stock speakers are a joke.

Reactions: Wacked

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tips. I'm not looking to invest a lot of money into this system so I think I'll just hold off until I sell my GTO next year and swap the HU I have in it into the truck and then wire up an amp instead of buying a cleansweep.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I am installing a clean sweep currently. I am missing the damned cd tho, aside from that installation is pretty simple.

I'll see how I like it, if I don't like it I am going with an audiocontrol lcq-1...

·
Registered
4 Posts
A couple of things:
Sending low power factory output to aftermarket speakers is a bad idea without an amplifier.
If I use a clean sweep, will I still need a low output converter?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Check out the lcq2. You can find it on Crutchfield. Cheaper than the clean sweep. Once you add an amp and some subwoofers, your going to have the itch to upgrade all your doors to components anyway. Lcq2 is a good piece of hardware and will save you money upfront so you can spend it elsewhere on your audio

1 - 20 of 24 Posts