Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Crewmax. I was messing with the truck for an hour trying to figure out how to get a wire(s) from outside in the bed to inside the cab. I don't see ANYTHING going into the cab from outside. I see grommets but they don't lead outside. I'm trying to install an antenna, but I can't figure out how to run it into the cab.

Help please!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Where are you mounting the antenna?

If you run your cable underneath the truck and over to the driver side rear passenger door, you will find some grommets underneath near the frame. You will have to get under the truck a little to see them while looking back towards the side steps if you have them. Pop off that door sill protector (rear driver side passenger door) and you'll see a whole underneath the plastic piece that keeps the wires in place. That'll be your access point into the cab.

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a roll n lock cover and I'm going trying to mount the L bracket to the side of the case, in a nutshell I'm mounting on the bed. I got under the truck but didn't notice any grommets. Definitely did not see a single wire running through the back of the cab.

I'll look again tomorrow morning hopefully I can figure it out. I'm anxious because I'm leaving tomorrow evening to Australia for a week so I want to get it done before I leave.

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
353 Posts
Look under the truck again. Put your head right under where the rear driver side passenger door is and find the frame. Now look up between the frame and the bottom of the door area (you'll be looking back towards the outside of the truck) and you'll see the grommets.

Lift up on the door sill cover and it'll pop right off. There is a bundle of wiring in there that runs to the window and cargo light. Pull up on that plastic piece and you'll see the access hole. Its right there in plain sight. Find the closes grommet to where that access hole is and then all you have to do is run your wire through.

·
Registered
13,670 Posts
The grommet he is speaking of looks is a plasticky feeling plug about 1-1.25" in diameter if I recall correctly.

I ran my backup cam harness through it, so I know it is there just like he does.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot guys. I'll update hopefully tomorrow

·
Registered
353 Posts
The hole i'm speaking of is at most the diameter of a dime. Let me see if this helps.......

If you have sidesteps, look between the side step and the bottom of the cab just below the door where the brackets for the sidesteps are mounted. You should see some grommets there. If you see those, they are the wrong ones so now look directly on the back side of where those wrong grommets are (get underneath the truck) and you'll see the correct ones to use.

This diagram should help. The first "o" is the grommets below the door now if you look on the back side of where that "o" is and up just a little, you'll see the "0" which is the grommets that you'll need to use.

o[door]0 [frame]

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found those grommets, both sets, but none of them seem to go through into the cab.

I have the whole plastic sill off, and there are only whiles for the plastic tabs to fit into. There are two extra holes but they are about 1/4" and still no exit hole that I see.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I found it, but it's the hole that the plastic clip uses. Did you just stop using the clip for the wires, or did you drill the extra hole larger?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got it done, thanks a lot for all the help. I love the way it turned out. All I had to do was open up one of the extra holes in the rear driver side door sill to about 1/4" for the FME connector to fit through.

I mounted the antenna mount to my roll n lock cover. This was actually a pain in the ass, and I only ended up using two screws bc it was difficult.

I ran the coax down in between the bed and cab.

I zip tied the coax to the existing wire so it wouldn't move.

Then I zip tied it to the same wire again, right next to the entry hole I used. I took the rubber grommet out and saved just in case.

I didn't take pics with the cover off, but it's really simple and you get the idea. I ran the coax through the existing wires harness clips.

Same thing through the driver's door sill. Keep in mind I removed both driver, and rear driver side seat belt bolts to take the pillar covers off.

Routed the cable with the existing wires under the driver's seat for motor/seat belt.

Finished product. If anyone is wondering it's a Larsen 2/70 NMO for amateur radio use.

Right now I just have my HT hooked up to it, got a signal check that I was all quieting on one of the local repeaters so I'm happy with that.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used one of the grommets on the driver side shown in the first pic to run my power wire for my LEDs in the bed. I also did it on the passenger side to run the wiring for the power tailgate lock. I had a heck of a time fishing the wire into the rocker panel. Toyota has that thing boxed, and welded. It's possible, but takes alot of patience.

I removed the grommet, and drilled a hole in it to run the wire through. Then shined a flash light through that hole, and started fishing safety wire from the top down to that hole. Tied onto my wiring, and pulled through from the top into the cab. I didn't want to drill into the body for fear of rust issues in the future.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Glad you got it finished. Now if you ever want to run the wiring for LED lights in your bed, you can use that same access point and tie that wiring into the small brown or purple wire in that bundle. It powers the cargo light. I have a write-up on that along with underside lighting for my step bars.

Happy modding.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad you got it finished. Now if you ever want to run the wiring for LED lights in your bed, you can use that same access point and tie that wiring into the small brown or purple wire in that bundle. It powers the cargo light. I have a write-up on that along with underside lighting for my step bars.

Happy modding.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll check it out that sounds pretty cool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got it done, thanks a lot for all the help. I love the way it turned out. All I had to do was open up one of the extra holes in the rear driver side door sill to about 1/4" for the FME connector to fit through.

I mounted the antenna mount to my roll n lock cover. This was actually a pain in the ass, and I only ended up using two screws bc it was difficult.

I ran the coax down in between the bed and cab.

I zip tied the coax to the existing wire so it wouldn't move.

Then I zip tied it to the same wire again, right next to the entry hole I used. I took the rubber grommet out and saved just in case.

I didn't take pics with the cover off, but it's really simple and you get the idea. I ran the coax through the existing wires harness clips.

Same thing through the driver's door sill. Keep in mind I removed both driver, and rear driver side seat belt bolts to take the pillar covers off.

Routed the cable with the existing wires under the driver's seat for motor/seat belt.

Finished product. If anyone is wondering it's a Larsen 2/70 NMO for amateur radio use.

Right now I just have my HT hooked up to it, got a signal check that I was all quieting on one of the local repeaters so I'm happy with that.

Thanks again for the help.
My apologies for being retarded, but I'm trying to run a lil wil through the back of the cab to the top of my toolbox where my antenna will be.
I am hoping to run it straight through the center directly under the back seats to the outside toolbox.
Is there a grommet somewhere near there, or will I have to drill one? I have no trouble drilling an 18mm hole as I did purchase the necessary grommets sized for the Bnc connector and on the antenna.

Thanks so much

1 - 17 of 17 Posts