Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone figured out how Toyota detuned the engine for the Tundra from the Lexus version...50 less hp and 20 ft/lbs of torque.

I'm going to assume that exhaust on the Tundra is probably more free flowing than the Lexus so it must come down to the internals. Better heads? More aggressive tuning on the ECU?

Tundra 4.6
Standard Engine 4.6L 310 hp
Horsepower 310 @ 5600 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 327 @ 3400 RPM

Lexus 4.6
Standard Engine 4.6L 360 hp
Horsepower 360 @ 6400 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 347 @ 4100 RPM

I'm just curious to see if there is an cost effective way for us Tundra guys to get that power back. LS460 engine swap anyone ? :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Yessir, x2 on direct injection.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
There is an effective way to close the gap in horsepower between the Lexus and tundra. Called a supercharger, turbo, or NOS haha.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have a 100page manual on the two 4.6l Toyota & Lexus engines and it states somewhere in the manual that the direct injection is literally the only thing that's different. Just what I read. I bet an engine swap would work well.

·
Registered
486 Posts
5.7L :lol5:
Mr. Creosote is right.....get a 5.7L. I just got rid of my 4.6L, because it won't tow the travel trailer very well. I looked into regearing for better low end performance, but it's $2000.00 (4x4). No guarantee that would fix my problem. There isn't any bolt-on turbo or blower kits for the 4.6L.

An expensive lesson learned. I'm over it and now moving on. I ended up spending $2500 more for the 5.7 package versus the 4.6L.

No matter what you do, it will cost lots of money, so I felt more comfortable getting a factory 5.7L instead of risking a re-gearing failure (from a bad shop), or having some knucklehead install a turbo incorrectly and lean it out, thus ruining my engine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Toyota 4.6L has a 10.2:1 compression ration while the Lexus 4.6L has 11.8:1 hence more power. The Lexus also requires premium fuel.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The 4.6 in the Lexus is tuned quite differently. Yes, the direct injection is one part, but also different cams (as mentioned), exhaust manifolds/headers, intake manifold, higher compression ratio, possibly different intake and exhaust ports on the heads. The biggest problem with the 4.6 used in the Tundra, are the horrid single log exhaust manifolds. Some headers would likely produce some serious gains here. The 4.6 will never match the 5.7 for low end, but I'm sure a properly built one could open a few eyes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm guessing there are no long tubes made for the 4.6? I read how the 5.7's long tube will bolt up but the there might be clearance issues since the block is higher up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts