Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok, so I went to the site and built one. You can now get the 8' bed (in limited color) with the sr5, and all upgrade packages. You cannot get the TRD option. I believe you could add the trd items after the fact no?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alex, it really remembers me a situation when I was buying a cover for my Tundra, and I think I've searched hundreds of different websites with them, a lot of choices there were, but finally I've got a blog where author explained everything about best roll up tonneau covers and how they should work for driver, how to maintain them and where to buy the cheapest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since I got my latest Tundra, (2017 from a 2003) it feels very big. I have been keeping an eye on what truck lengths are on the road. Clearly there is a point where all the manufacturers have determined that consumer interest drops off a cliff. I see all kinds of trucks that are similar to mine. I have a crewmax with a 5.7' bed and it fits in my garage with about 16" to spare. I cant imagine having anything longer. It would just be prohibitive for me. I am still adjusting to the size of the vehicle and learning to better manage the maneuverability, and I live in the spacious deep south.. I can imagine how it must be in the North East. One thing I think they have done is to go taller with the bed sides.. so when the tailgate is down, it gives a longer usable space.

I read a thread where there was debate over why anyone would want a 5'7" bed versus a 6'5" bed. This is light years away from the 8' and it was still full of posts of people who can barely fit the truck in the garage.

I have a friend that bought a Ford 350 truck. His house has the driveway in the back of his house. He can barely squeeze his truck in his driveway.. He parks about 4" from his house.

Its just a lot of trouble for the individual.. The people I know that have the long trucks, usually dont drive them daily because of the hassle..

This is all just my opinion... I have no agenda or anything.. Its just something I have noticed..
Sounds like it's time for a bigger garage, LOL.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own a 2017 Magnetic Grey DC with the 8 foot bed. I absolutely love it. I came by it mostly by accident. It happened to be on the lot at Gresham Toyota near my house. The first time I test drove it I didn't even realize it was an 8 footer. I got the brochure and went home to read it, that's when I noticed that they came in an 8' length (not available on Crew Cab, limited or 1794 editions). I called the dealer to ask about it and he said, "You drove one yesterday." I went back and bought it because I knew I had found something rare. SInce then I have seen a total of 3 in the last 2 years besides mine, a white one and two grey ones. They are extremely rare compared to the other two models but very worth having IMHO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve been seeing a lot more in my area lately (Jersey Shore). Probably a couple of dozen in the last six months

·
Registered
10 Posts
Definitely uncommon, but I would not say it's rare.

I purchased my 2008 4x4 DC 6.5' bed truck back in February, and was 'on the hunt' for months prior.
The crewmax trucks are a slight bit more common than the DC trucks. I would say a ratio of like 1.4:1.
The CM is the most common cab. Only made in the one bed length, 5.5'

The DC is 2nd most common, with the 6.5' bed being the most common option there.
I rarely saw single cab trucks for sale, and rarely see them on the road. I might even say SC are less common than DC 8'.

If I had to guess, I would say (and this is for 2007-2012 truck, btw):
Crewmax trucks are 60-65% of all Tundras sold
DC trucks are 30-35%
  • DC 6.5' trucks are 80% of the DC trucks
  • 8' bed is the remaining 20%
Single cabs are ~5%

So, carrying out the math, I'd say the DC 8' truck is like 6-7% of all Tundras sold.
I definitely saw a few for sale. Not as many as I'd like, but not like "omg! Did they even make those?!"
Just didn't find one with the combination of options I wanted.

On one hand, [coming from a 2005 Tacoma] I already thought the 2nd gen Tundras were like f**khuge tanks, and thought the 8' bed would be asking for trouble in the city.
But now, I wouldn't mind an extra 1.5ft. They still look kinda funky to me though, proportion-wise. I think the 6.5' truck looks the best. Just IMO

I use my truck for landscaping, btw.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 2016 grey (not my first color choice) SR5 DCLB. Only one I found locally when I was shopping. Its my daily driver, I also use it for hauling wood, hay and other stuff around my property. Had it loaded with ~2500 pounds between the hay in the bed and us in the cab when we found a good deal on hay at the end of the season.

Have been asked a few times by a Toyota salesman, when I go in for parts and they notice its a long bed, if I'm interested in selling it or trading it in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

Given how difficult it is to find late-model, half-ton pickups of any brand with an 8' bed AND more than a Regular Cab, I would love to know folks' opinions on what percentage of the fleet of Third Gen. Tundras came with:

a) An 8' bed, in combination with;

b) A Double Cab.

Do you own one?

How many have you seen?

Or should I ask: how many of you have seen even one such truck? LOL

Lastly, does anyone know of a source for Toyota's actual production figures, that would answer this question?

(And I'm assuming there's no such thing as a CrewMax with an 8' bed, right?)

Thanks in advance,

ToyotasForever

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi ToyotasForever. I have actually only seen one Tundra DC with 8' bed. It was in great shape, low miles, and reasonably priced at a dealership, but was not selling, and they kept dropping the price a few hundred bucks at a time. That seemed like a big truck. They only make the Crewmax with a 5.5' bed. a little less for work, and more for people.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Traded in my 2016 DCLB for 2020 DCLB. Had to drive 90 minutes to the dealer that had it since none.of the local dealers were interested/able to trade for it and make me a good deal.
It was the only DCLB in NorCal that was optioned like I wanted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok. I own one. 2020 Dbl Cab 4WD 5.7 tow package 8 foot bed. Love it

Hi all,

Given how difficult it is to find late-model, half-ton pickups of any brand with an 8' bed AND more than a Regular Cab, I would love to know folks' opinions on what percentage of the fleet of Third Gen. Tundras came with:

a) An 8' bed, in combination with;

b) A Double Cab.

Do you own one?

How many have you seen?

Or should I ask: how many of you have seen even one such truck? LOL

Lastly, does anyone know of a source for Toyota's actual production figures, that would answer this question?

(And I'm assuming there's no such thing as a CrewMax with an 8' bed, right?)

Thanks in advance,

ToyotasForever

·
Registered
2020 SR5 Double Cab Long Bed
3 Posts
I just bought one. Had to drive over 3 hours to get it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think passengers are over rated myself and i do my best to not encourage them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, so I went to the site and built one. You can now get the 8' bed (in limited color) with the sr5, and all upgrade packages. You cannot get the TRD option. I believe you could add the trd items after the fact no?
Yes, you can. I believe most (if not all) the TRD items are bolt on high performance parts. I looked into the differences when I was looking to buy. I may not remember all of them, but the sway bar and the air filter were two that you can have installed on anything. I have noticed some of the beds are stamped, that you'll probably have to forgo, but you can definitely get the stickers and even the badges.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Last week while out camping I saw my first 8' bed DC Tundra in Ohio since I bought my DC Tundra in 2014. It was a pre-2013 model. Outside of Ohio, I might have seen maybe 4-5 including a trip to Alaska. I do have the OEM factory tow mirrors that I have seen very few of. None in Ohio. Took me 12 weeks to special order them, which were only a $40 option.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts