Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Given how difficult it is to find late-model, half-ton pickups of any brand with an 8' bed AND more than a Regular Cab, I would love to know folks' opinions on what percentage of the fleet of Third Gen. Tundras came with:

a) An 8' bed, in combination with;

b) A Double Cab.

Do you own one?

How many have you seen?

Or should I ask: how many of you have seen even one such truck? LOL

Lastly, does anyone know of a source for Toyota's actual production figures, that would answer this question?

(And I'm assuming there's no such thing as a CrewMax with an 8' bed, right?)

Thanks in advance,

ToyotasForever

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The material that formerly occupied this space was a sincere effort at relating the history of 8' beds in Toyota Tundras. It may have been an erroneous misunderstanding of information in the public domain, but it in no way contained any opinions, criticisms, or sarcasm about the question or the OP. Some capricious prick gave it a BIG RED THUMB. If you have better information, then offer it up, please tell me I am an ignorant, well-meaning fool, but do not hide your cowardice and vendetta behind anonymous unfocused criticism.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have never seen firsthand a Tundra with a long bed on the road. Rarely, on a dealer's lot. And I have been a Toyota guy for almost 20 years (caveat: I have owned a 4Runner for most of those years, but have wheeled with many Tundras).

·
Registered
213 Posts
They're not very common. I've seen 2 at the dealer lots and about 5 on the road in the past 2 years. Sometimes I wish I went long bed but then I wouldn't of had a limited.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Rare at best. The dealership I'm working with to get mine calls it a unicorn. Apparently there is only a limited number produced and nearly all of those end up in the Texas oil fields or being used by public utilities. There's not enough consumer interest in long beds to justify a dealer keeping them around. The particular salesman I'm working with said that in 5 years of working at this dealership, he has seen 3 go through the dealership. He took a used one in on trade a couple weeks ago, but they wouldn't sell it to me because it was in such bad shape. It needed $4K in repairs to be road worthy. It's going straight to auction because they don't want to be associated with it in any way.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Since I got my latest Tundra, (2017 from a 2003) it feels very big. I have been keeping an eye on what truck lengths are on the road. Clearly there is a point where all the manufacturers have determined that consumer interest drops off a cliff. I see all kinds of trucks that are similar to mine. I have a crewmax with a 5.7' bed and it fits in my garage with about 16" to spare. I cant imagine having anything longer. It would just be prohibitive for me. I am still adjusting to the size of the vehicle and learning to better manage the maneuverability, and I live in the spacious deep south.. I can imagine how it must be in the North East. One thing I think they have done is to go taller with the bed sides.. so when the tailgate is down, it gives a longer usable space.

I read a thread where there was debate over why anyone would want a 5'7" bed versus a 6'5" bed. This is light years away from the 8' and it was still full of posts of people who can barely fit the truck in the garage.

I have a friend that bought a Ford 350 truck. His house has the driveway in the back of his house. He can barely squeeze his truck in his *driveway*.. He parks about 4" from his house.

Its just a lot of trouble for the individual.. The people I know that have the long trucks, usually dont drive them daily because of the hassle..

This is all just my opinion... I have no agenda or anything.. Its just something I have noticed..

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have seen 2 or 3 over the past 3 years...

Not getting the 8 foot bed my only regret with my truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have only noticed seeing one before. It's the new 2017 I just bought. The dealer two miles from my house had it sitting on their lot. When the sales guy saw me looking it over the first thing he said was "That one has been here awhile. Not too many people looking for a long bed. I can get you a great deal if you're interested." Well, the rest is history. I love the truck and often need a long bed hauling stuff back and forth to the farm. Sure it's a little more trouble parking but not that big a deal plus I get a bit of exercise walking from the rear of parking lots.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I see a Tundra with an 8' bed every time I look in my garage, but it's a regular cab. I don't think I've ever seen the DC long bed unicorn in the wild, just in photos.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Almost as rare as unicorns...

According to some dealerships, double cab long beds are elusive, legendary beasts that, once free'd into the world, roam wild...

According to other dealerships, they are fabled creatures that can only be captured by the most cunning and skilled car hunter...

And according to most dealerships, they don't even exist... At least the freakin' idiots that my buddy tried to by a car from told him as much. So he bought a Ram. Poor schlub. Then we saw at least one unicorn every day for the next month. One day, we even saw TWO unicorns on the same road in the same mile!

They are less-rare around these parts, but still rare enough.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Funny you should ask this question as I am in the middle of a search for a dealer that will modify their allocation to a Silver SR5 DCLB for me.

I am coming from my 1998 F150 Supercab XLT 8' box. I have put my 8' bed to use more times than I can count and I swore I would never get another truck without one.

I have contacted about a dozen dealers. A third say it is impossible to special order a Tundra (not quite the whole story), another third want you to put a $1,000 non refundable deposit down without a firm price or delivery, the other third seem receptive and those are the ones I am working with.

I had one sales manager tell me "There is no demand for an 8' bed". To which I stated, if the only thing you have on the lot is one stripped white SR DCLB and you refuse to do a special order then I suspect that may have a lot to do with why you don't sell many.

Unfortunately Toyota and Ford are the only game in town for a DCLB in a light duty truck. I don't need or want a Diesel or 3/4 ton truck.

My 1998 F150 has never left me stranded but it has required repairs that I consider un-needed. The 2018 F150 has Plasma deposited cylinders, auto start stop, DPFI (Port and Direct injection), An aluminum body, a grossly over engineered suicide door system on the supercab, and a new 10 speed transmission jointly developed by Ford and GM. None of these features are a plus IMHO.

The simplicity and lack of change is precisely what is driving me toward the Tundra. My biggest gripe is to get the 38 gallon tank you have to get the upgrade package with the center console and get a painted rear bumper (front stays chrome).

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Funny you should ask this question as I am in the middle of a search for a dealer that will modify their allocation to a Silver SR5 DCLB for me...Wish me luck.
Good Luck on the SR5 DCLB! A 2018 SR DCLB could be a unicorn, but an SR5 DCLB does not exist (Toyota.com).

https://www.toyota.com/configurator/#!/build/step/model:cab-bed/year/2018/series/tundra/model/8239

https://www.toyota.com/configurator/#!/build/step/model:cab-bed/year/2018/series/tundra/model/8240

·
Registered
73 Posts

This remains to be seen. Your links are for 2017 models so not sure what you are trying to point to with those. Obviously 2017 DCLB would only be available based on existing inventory and the "build and price" option is no longer available for 2017 DCLB as 2017 production has ceased.

The model numbers did change for 2018 (8236=2017 DCLB, 8246=2018 DCLB) so that is important if you are trying to search by model number.

One dealer claims to have put my request in to Gulf States Toyota and I should hear back soon whether the build is possible.

It seems to me the configurator on the Toyota website wouldn't allow you to build one if it is impossible although I know it will let me try and select a non-FFV V8 even though it is not available in my region. So it's obviously not perfect.

On a related note I started this process looking for a 2017 DCLB and the online configurator would only show one colors available from month to month so not sure if that is based on what trucks are out there or the status of current production or something else altogether.

I do find it amazing that Ford will let you option out damn near every option and order a true custom truck as long as you are willing to wait for it. You can basically option out an XLT very close to a Lariat if that is what you really want.

I'll post up in this thread when I get a response.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
This remains to be seen. Your links are for 2017 models so not sure what you are trying to point to with those. Obviously 2017 DCLB would only be available based on existing inventory and the "build and price" option is no longer available for 2017 DCLB as 2017 production has ceased...
Yeah, I caught that and edited the references before your post. As the earlier references did show, SR5 DCLB didn't exist in 2017 either, and I'm speculating, but probably not for previous Gen 3 years as well, bwdik...keep looking, a "holy grail" is a good quest.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah, I caught that and edited the references before your post. As the earlier references did show, SR5 DCLB didn't exist in 2017 either, and I'm speculating, but probably not for previous Gen 3 years as well, bwdik...keep looking, a "holy grail" is a good quest.

Actually SR5 DCLB did exist in 2017. I have seen several in person and located several of them during my 2017 search for the truck.

I think you are getting confused because the Toyota configurator/locator is only showing what is in your region.

You can input different zip codes and fool the system to search in different states.

They are very rare and finding the color and options is almost impossible without a factory allocation change.

Best,
Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Actually SR5 DCLB did exist in 2017. I have seen several in person and located several of them during my 2017 search for the truck.

I think you are getting confused because the Toyota configurator/locator is only showing what is in your region.

You can input different zip codes and fool the system to search in different states.

They are very rare and finding the color and options is almost impossible without a factory allocation change.

Best,
Andy
Yes, Andy, you are correct...I am totally confused.

I looked just now at Toyota.com again, and it's now showing an SR5 DCLB...I made no change in my ZIP and the reference appears to be exactly the same as the one used in my edit! "Dude, there is somethin' f'ed up right here." :yikes:

Good luck in your search. ;)

https://www.toyota.com/configurator/#!/build/step/model:cab-bed/year/2018/series/tundra/model/8240

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
big truck small garages........arghhhhhh....:banghead:

in the 80's we bought a house built in mid 70's. 91' f-1-fiddy 4x4 fit!
2013 garage now 17 x 21 and 4 Runner barely fit with inches to spare from the tailgate......again arrrrgh.....

Personal observation is builders are getting freaking cheep...and it's a way of social engineering us into buying smaller vehicles ....think tiny houses (herding us into Agenda 21) ......
Our builder said something like: "oh yeah garages are pretty standard........F'that........ our barndominium will cover both vehicles........

Now back on topic...... here in south Texas I've seen a few long bed work trucks running around...(commercial)......but as rare as an honest politician.......;):bump:

1 - 20 of 121 Posts