Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
With the V8 being cut in favor of a twin-turbo V6, suggested here is a generous warranty term to keep everyone happy. But is that enough? What does everyone think Toyota should do?

Yes, I'm disappointed to hear the good old "reliable 5.7" will be kicked out the backdoor to the trash heap. That said, even when I bought my 14' Limited DB Tundra, I did purchase a Toyota 8/100k $0 deductible extended bumper-2-bumper warranty. Cost was $1750, and would be pro-rated it I bought another Toyota. My thinking was: SURLY in a few years the next gen Tundra will be out and in 2018/19 I'll get the new next gen Tundra.

So when 2018 rolled around and Toyota seemed to hibernate on any even hint of a new Tundra, I started looking elsewhere. Either F150 or 250. Recently I mocked up a F-150 for my towing needs (tow a 8,000 RV). I asked what a 7-8 year warranty was from Ford. $4,000. I guess when they break more often, you have to charge more for a warranty. Yes, so "IF" the new power train in the 2022 Tundra's will be completely different, un-tested in every day driving or towing, an affordable extended warranty might ease my hesitation in the next gen. I have about 13 months left on my present warranty to get me to just about when the 22's might roll out. I understand the power plant is rumored to be out of the Lexus, which takes a little worry away.

I'll be paying very close attention to the nuts and bolts of the next gen once it is announced. I remember back in 2013, watching YT videos with Mike Sweers, Toyota's head engineer explaining all the nuts and bolts of Tundra. Even though the 2014 was basically a cosmetic upgrade, it was enough for me to pull the trigger. I'm just not a complete fan of Ford. Having two family members being Ford truck owners, and seeing all the times they spend in the shop or on the hook, I don't spend good $$ to have a truck taking trips on flatbeds.. The downside of the F-250 is absolutely terrible gas mileage.
IMG_7949.JPG

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wish Toyota would build a 3/4 and 1- Ton Truck
I read the other posts so I wouldn’t say the same thing someone else brought up . You hit the nail on the head . Everyone else makes half , 3/4 and one ton versions . Up north all I see everywhere is Tacoma’s and 4 runners .

·
Registered
1 Posts
It was a good run. Time to find something else. I’ll be making what I got last as long as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes, I'm not interested in the new Tundra until it's proven (the V6TT), will get to 100K+ on what I own and then switch brands ... really love my current Tundra, unfortunately

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ive been employed for a Toyota dealer ship for 26 yrs and our rep will not give us any info on the new Tundras.Guess we just have to wait and see what they do

·
Registered
752 Posts
  • Same Reliability as my 2012 Tundra
  • V6 TT with Hybrid option and/or V6TT with Plug-in Hybrid option (40-50 miles on battery w/o towing)
  • Heavy Duty Towing package that includes 2500-3000 lbs payload, 12K towing & TOWING MIRRORS
  • 25-30 mpg when not towing
  • Base warranty of 5 years 75K miles, optional warranty (at a REASONABLE cost) 10 years 150K miles

Some reports have said that Toyota has used the word "Groundbreaking" to describe the 2022 Tundra. If the 2022 does not include most if not all of the above items I can think of words other than "Groundbreaking" to describe it. Time will tell. Will be interesting to see if there will be a Tundra commercial during the Super Bowl.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts