Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the V8 being cut in favor of a twin-turbo V6, suggested here is a generous warranty term to keep everyone happy. But is that enough? What does everyone think Toyota should do?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
As long as these new models are just as reliable as the old ones, that's fine with me. Maybe a not-so expensive warranty program or even a 100,000 mile/10-year powertrain warranty sounds great to me. Not much Toyota can do here in U.S. Fuel economy and emission mandates are here to stay. Other countries, they have Diesel engines. Have not driven a diesel Toyota, but I have driven a Mitsubishi pick up truck overseas. And yes, they are torquey.

·
Registered
2012 Tundra CrewMax Rock Warrior
6 Posts
Straight 6 Turbo Diesel

·
Registered
515 Posts
Not interested in V-6 motors period, they suck, sound like crap, and are only good for packaging. Again not interested. An inline 6 turbo diesel would be interesting in a 3/4 or 1-ton. With around 500 hp and 1000 lbf-ft torque. In half ton form 550 hp minimum and torque, stiffer frame in the bed area. Locking or limited slip rear end standard and optional limited slip front axle. Better off road suspension. Ability to order options instead of having to purchase packages with expensive options not everyone wants, but has to get in order to obtain one or two specific options. Do not put a rotary dial for a shifter like Dodge and Ford did or a push button like Honda did. All very bad ideas. My wife's purse is almost always on top of the shift buttons in her Honda Pilot. Too frequently you push the button for any gear, park, reverse and it does not take and is still in the previous selection. Very dangerous. Nannies need to be way less intrusive with the ability to be completely turned off. Not the current set up that when turned off still comes on at times. And yes increase the warranty for those willing to buy a turbo V-6.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can look past the loss of the V8 if it means that it brings the overall price down. Toyota embracing diesels would be cool but I don't know how likely that would be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can look past the loss of the V8 if it means that it brings the overall price down. Toyota embracing diesels would be cool but I don't know how likely that would be.
Toyota might not reduce it that much if at all.
IMO, what we should bank is for better value via features that make pricing throughout the entire Tundra that much more worth it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
#1. The new tundra is going to ridiculous in the pricing. The top of the line trim package is going to $70-75k.
#2 Toyota will never bring the diesel in the USA. Stupid epa emissions bs.
#3 most likely Toyota engine the 2gr-fks is junk. They have been in the Tacoma for awhile now, I have been see a lot of valve trains issue. The valve seat in the head is coming apart. Now imagine putting twin turbo on it.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
#1. The new tundra is going to ridiculous in the pricing. The top of the line trim package is going to $70-75k.
#2 Toyota will never bring the diesel in the USA. Stupid epa emissions bs.
#3 most likely Toyota engine the 2gr-fks is junk. They have been in the Tacoma for awhile now, I have been see a lot of valve trains issue. The valve seat in the head is coming apart. Now imagine putting twin turbo on it.....
Toyota does indeed go too high at times. The Land Cruiser is another great example.
With hybrids taking off and rumors of a Tundra hybrid, its safe to say that a diesel option won't happen.

·
"Missing a Few Liters"
4,422 Posts
V8 or look for something else.

Turbocharged engines are like a human on cocaine. It’s life in the fast line until the heart attack or a stroke.

Cylinders that turn themselves off are a stupid idea.

Engines that turn themselves off at stop lights and restart are a bad design.

I am interested in buying a truck. It will be reliable, have power, and utility.

I have no interest in a science experiment nor will I beta-test your technology on my dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kegger

·
Registered
389 Posts
Not interested in V-6 motors period, they suck, sound like crap, and are only good for packaging. Again not interested. An inline 6 turbo diesel would be interesting in a 3/4 or 1-ton. With around 500 hp and 1000 lbf-ft torque. In half ton form 550 hp minimum and torque, stiffer frame in the bed area. Locking or limited slip rear end standard and optional limited slip front axle. Better off road suspension. Ability to order options instead of having to purchase packages with expensive options not everyone wants, but has to get in order to obtain one or two specific options. Do not put a rotary dial for a shifter like Dodge and Ford did or a push button like Honda did. All very bad ideas. My wife's purse is almost always on top of the shift buttons in her Honda Pilot. Too frequently you push the button for any gear, park, reverse and it does not take and is still in the previous selection. Very dangerous. Nannies need to be way less intrusive with the ability to be completely turned off. Not the current set up that when turned off still comes on at times. And yes increase the warranty for those willing to buy a turbo V-6.
Why a stiffer frame? Stiffer frames are not stronger.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Well, when the second generation came out Ford had an advertisement showing the F150 and Tundra driving over multiple parking blocks at a speed no one would ever do and the formation of the blocks were set up in a manner for no other reason than to prove their point. The Tundra's rear end was flailing around. Off road companies make bed stiffeners which I now have and they make them for a reason. There is a lot of movement back there as evidenced by my Snug Top shell that has stress cracks only at the end of the bed. It's just my laymen's assumption that as the Tundra boxed the frame to the back of the cab to increase stiffness for a better ride, They also chose not box the bed portion to allow more flexibility in the load carrying area. After Toyota one upped the other trucks with this new frame, the other manufactures boxed the entire frames with their newer models. This seemed by all reports I have read to have to be a good move. But the devil is in the details and I am no engineer. I just know when there is enough movement to crack my camper shell, I'm going to suggest it is to much. You don't see that with other brand trucks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well, when the second generation came out Ford had an advertisement showing the F150 and Tundra driving over multiple parking blocks at a speed no one would ever do and the formation of the blocks were set up in a manner for no other reason than to prove their point. The Tundra's rear end was flailing around. Off road companies make bed stiffeners which I now have and they make them for a reason. There is a lot of movement back there as evidenced by my Snug Top shell that has stress cracks only at the end of the bed. It's just my laymen's assumption that as the Tundra boxed the frame to the back of the cab to increase stiffness for a better ride, They also chose not box the bed portion to allow more flexibility in the load carrying area. After Toyota one upped the other trucks with this new frame, the other manufactures boxed the entire frames with their newer models. This seemed by all reports I have read to have to be a good move. But the devil is in the details and I am no engineer. I just know when there is enough movement to crack my camper shell, I'm going to suggest it is to much. You don't see that with other brand trucks.
Stiffer isn’t stronger.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Stiffer isn’t stronger.
In my opinion it appears plenty strong. I never said it wasn't strong, that is something you brought up. I suggested the frame in the bed area could be stiffer so there is less flex. Stiffer and stronger is something you brought up. Just something Toyota needs to address as the question is (how would Toyota make you happy with the next Tundra). I will stick with my list as written. If Toyota goes above and beyond what I hope for I will probably buy one. If not we may have already seen the pinnacle for Tundra's.

·
Registered
389 Posts
In my opinion it appears plenty strong. I never said it wasn't strong, that is something you brought up. I suggested the frame in the bed area could be stiffer so there is less flex. Stiffer and stronger is something you brought up. Just something Toyota needs to address as the question is (how would Toyota make you happy with the next Tundra). I will stick with my list as written. If Toyota goes above and beyond what I hope for I will probably buy one. If not we may have already seen the pinnacle for Tundra's.
I’m just wondering why then do yo I want the flex to be addressed if it really is a non issue with the truck?

·
Registered
13 Posts
For me to upgrade from my ‘18? It would mean more torque, quicker and better fuel economy. So a hybrid (without a $10k premium). Torque and speed from a hybrid would be awesome, like an F1 car and locomotive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts