Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my new sub box and am in the middle of a full system install, but thought I would post some pictures of the box in case anyone is looking for ideas. This is in a DC and if you've done any research you know it's hard to find anything that will work other than the JL Stealthbox ($800) or the JL flat 13.5" sub ($600). I have always been a big fan of Kicker so I thought I'd see if I could make their new CompRT work since it's their version of a "flat" sub.

Anyway, here's how it all went down...

The cuts were made and pieces laid out

Beginning the assembly

I had to use 1/2" MDF instead of 3/4" to save space so I added 2 braces to the inside to prevent flexing

This shows the amp mounting space I included as part of the all-in-one assembly

Beginning the mounting plate that will allow the recessed mount

Test fit of the front plate prior to cutting the hole

The mounting ring

Mounting ring with the face plate on top to get an idea of total depth

Test fitting under the back seat

I used the recessed mount and the raised sides for 2 reasons: protection and excursion space without hitting the bottom of the seat. Here's an idea of how far down the sub will mount

Almost ready for paint

First coat of truck bed coating

Drying in the sun

The finished product!

Overall, I'm very happy with the box. If I did it again, I wouldn't change much at all. I made a couple mis-cuts on the corners where they don't all come to a perfect square if that makes sense, but that's more of a cosmetic issue for me since I tend to be a perfectionist with stuff like this. Also, I would do the bed coating spraying a little more patiently. I didn't take my time prepping the screw holes so you can barely see them through the paint and I rushed the second coat and got a couple small runs. Other than that, I think it turned out really well and almost exactly as my drawings started out. Should I have the opportunity to make another one, it'll be even better! I should be done with my whole install by Friday night and I'll be sure to report back on how it all sounds.
Sorry for the huge amount of pictures, but I always like to have a bunch in posts I read so I went a bit overboard!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All these views and only one response??! I guess you guys aren't as impressed as I am with my work :lol5: I'm far from a carpenter of any sort so I was pretty happy with how it turned out and excited to show it off!!

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys! I was just kidding mostly. I realized today as I was finishing my 3 day system install that as big of a deal as it is for me, I have a 2013 so it's the last of this generation and most of the guys on here have done their stereo upgrade long ago so this is old news to most! Oh well, new to me and I'm stoked!! Just a little late to the party!

Loving the new tunes though :D:D

·
Registered
617 Posts
Nice job man. I will be interested to hear how you like the one 12. I currently have two 10" CVT's and wouldn't mind going to one 12 to free up under seat storage space. The box I have takes up both sides.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Looks good! Something like this is next on my list. Stock stereo just gotta go. I can't take it much longer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice set-up.... I like how it only takes up one side, how is it holding up and how do you like the kicker sub? Would you be willing to sharing the dimensions?
So far, I'm really happy with it. Obviously the more air space, the better, but it's got a nice kick for sure! I've always been a big fan of Kicker car audio and this sub has not let me down!
I'm not at home where I have the dimensions so I can't post them now. I will PM the rough dimensions if you want, but I'm also willing to make the boxes for people if they'd like. Let me figure out exactly what I have in it and I'll let you know how much. I'm thinking $80 would be a good price. I'd say I put about 5-6 hours into assembly. If anyone is interested, let me know so I can justify the purchase of some new tools with the wife!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I love the box. I also really am a fan of kicker audio like yourself. I have run 2 10" Kicker Comp VR for the last 9 years. Got them brand new in 2004 and they still hit just as hard. Do you know if there would be room under that seat to create a box that allowed for a sub that requires 5-1/16" mounting depth?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love the box. I also really am a fan of kicker audio like yourself. I have run 2 10" Kicker Comp VR for the last 9 years. Got them brand new in 2004 and they still hit just as hard. Do you know if there would be room under that seat to create a box that allowed for a sub that requires 5-1/16" mounting depth?
so, I think a box with 5-1/16" mounting depth is possible, but REALLY tight. The problem is allowing enough space for excursion. That's gonna put the sub so close to the bottom of the seat, that there may not be much room. I'm thinking I could shave out enough space with my router to increase the room for the bottom of the magnet and that would definitely help. With a little minor modification of the bottom of the seat, you'd be good to go for sure, but maybe not necessary. If you'd be interested, I'll take some exact measurements and get a definite answer for you.
Have you done the folding rear seat mod? I have, but during the installation of everything I realized that if I hadn't cut the tabs on the back of the seat, I could raise the whole seat with a 1/2" spacer, drill out the holes where it mounts to the back wall and not only have the extra sub space, but have the folding seat without having to cut those tabs. I'm actually kicking around the idea of trading my tabs with someone that wants to do the seat mod but hasn't yet to give this a shot.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Tight is what I was thinking when I was looking. Never actually measured though. I have not done the folding seat mod, your idea for a spacer sounds interesting and I would love to see how that works. If that can be done safely it would surely help. I don't want to have to go buy new shallow mount kicker subs, but I may just have to!:lol5:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Been absent alot lately - great box,,, I skim a lot - did you post dimensions? How deep is it. I have experimented with a few diff box set ups I have built for others. I really like yours. Cant wait for you to build me one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been absent alot lately - great box,,, I skim a lot - did you post dimensions? How deep is it. I have experimented with a few diff box set ups I have built for others. I really like yours. Cant wait for you to build me one.
Thank you! I didn't post the dimensions but it's about 19 X 18 X 6. I made a couple extra cuts here and there to make sure the sides would be a bit taller to protect the sub and with the amp mounting plate, it changes the dimensions a bit. I won't put the amp plate on the boxes I make for other people because it just makes shipping much tougher and much more expensive! If you want one, just give me a shout and let me know. It should take me about 3 days to get one made and sent out as long as I can get enough free time in the evening after work.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts