Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone im doing my own nfab bars.... Thanks to alwayslooking for his write up i am doing a twist between his and my own. Heres what i have gotten so far.. Tile Floor Flooring this is the shim stock we had at work they are 4x4x .250 Vehicle Car Grille this is a picture of 4 pcs of 2 inch tubing 6.5 inches long with some round stock i turned down to fit snuggly inside the tubing then i drilled holes in them to be able to slide my steps on and off. Cylinder Material property Metal i will have more tonight.... I work at a tool and die shop and work on my steps when i can. When this is all said and done ill have 50 dollars in the steps.... What do u all think i should cover them with to match my truck? I know black is the color but material i dont know... Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
805 Posts
Looks like a fun project! I've thought of buildings steps for mine but we'll see how motivated I feel after building a bike rack to fit over my tonneau.

As for covering, I think powdercoating or bed liner would stand up fairly well - better than just paint - but powdercoating is $ you've gotta pay somebody else to do. I'd put bed liner on the steps or at least where u will step on it for better traction. I don't like the rough texture all over it though since I would've inevitably rub my knee or leg up against it at some point and id like to keep my flesh intact.

I built some hoops for my old bronco a long while back that bolted to the frame and stuck out just far enough to use as a step. I used rubberized undercoating and it worked out alright. I still have one of them and it has rusted but its been sitting next to the shed, uncovered, for the last 12 years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok here is an update after last night at work Automotive exterior Bumper Trunk Auto part Vehicle here are my steps i had bent i cut them 3 feet long with 45 degree bends 1 foot in on each side to leave a 1 foot step Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire this is all the tubing welded to the truck Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire Bumper Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire view of my tread plate on the steps they are 12 x 6 with 90 degree bends on each side Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Car Automotive exterior another view of it all welded.... Just painting them black for now until i can decide on what im going to cover them in. Either rhino lined or powder coated thanks everyone for looking if anybody wants to know demensions just let me know by pm. I will update with a picture back on my truck all painted.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
277 Posts
looks good man! Not sure if you bent the tubing yourself or had someone do it, but the bends look kinked instead of rounded. If you duct tape one end of the tube before bending, fill it with water, then fill completely with wet sand and duct tape the other end it won't kink while bending. Really nice job though, I like the way it looks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts