Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 tundra dc with the 5.7L. The truck has 84k on it with no mods. On startup and while driving I have a hollow knock that I can not pinpoint. Does anybody else have this sound or heard the sound? Also the sound is there at every startup and while running. Could it be something to do with the cats or does it sound like a engine problem? Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Get a small hollow metal pipe and use like a Doctor does to listen to your lungs. It works real good, but be careful since the engine is running. I like to use a Aluminum pipe just in case the engine grabs it. I would turn the motor off and remove the ACC belt and turn all the pulleys my hand and see what they fell like. Then reinstall the belt and listen to the top end for cam issues and then go to the bottom end. Could be anything. any metal on the oil drain plug mag?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Have not had truck long enough to change the oil yet only had it 2 months. I will get some dowl rod and listen soon and post back my results. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
You can get an automotive stethoscope at harbor freight for a few buck. There's always the long screwdriver to the headphones that works well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts