Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I just pulled the drop-in liner out of my '14 Tundra and there are what appear to be 1/2" holes in the sides of the bed at the front and the rear.

I can't say I remember seeing them on my other Tundra but it could just be that I was in there and looking around where as last time I just had it sprayed with Line-X and never really gave it a good look before that. I was pulling the liner out so it can be Line-X'd tomorrow and I had to take the rails off, pull the liner, and put the rails back - which is when I noticed the holes.

Was just wondering what those holes were for? Lifting the bed onto the truck during assembly maybe?

Having them there won't hurt function but I did notice them so I was curious and thought I would ask.

I've tried to search Google for images of the bed but all of the ones I come across have spray-in or drop-in liners. The couple I've found without either are small/low res and hard to see any detail in.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not my bed, and it's sprayed, but you can see it:

An older Tundra:

My assumption is that they are lifting points for the bed when installing it at the factory.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lazy?

Who was too lazy to post pictures of holes in their truck that they were asking about, in a thread that they started? :dunno:

:D
You **already** had the pictures... I'd would have had to have put some clothes on since I'm laying in bed in my pajamas, put some shoes on, and then braved the frigid cold at 1 AM to go take some pictures due to simple curiosity.

You already took the pictures - all you had to do was look at them.

Your level of laziness surpasses mine by a fair bit, although I do still register on the laziometer.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They don't know English it's just word association. Enough times that two things happen at or near the same time and most dogs are smart enough to correlate.

Now switch some wire so front door says garage and garage says front and then to open the front door and laugh ;-).

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It turns out I am going to be using the holes at the front to drain my tonneau cover unless somebody can suggest why that would be a bad idea?

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just went out and looked... Those holes are PERFECT for drain holes for a tonneau cover. Woot. Maybe that's why they're there?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Drain holes

Will it work with the BAKFlip F1? My drain hose seems much larger than that hole.

-----------
2014 Tundra Limited CrewMax 4X4 Super White
Husky X-Act Contour Front Mats
Weathertech Rear Rubber Mat
BAKFlip F1 Bed cover
P3 Brake Controller

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure of the size of the hose and I'm not sure how much water will get into the rail system and need drained - you might be able to get by with a smaller hose.

I'm having my cover installed on Thursday/Friday [when it comes in] and I will see the hoses on mine when I get it.

Worst case if I have to make the holes a little bigger I can do that and then just have them spray a little line-x over it [since it's a line-x shop].

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting - finally somebody knows what they are for :). I'm going to use them to run my drain tubes for my tonneau cover since I have no plans on putting a ladder rack/etc. If I do - pulling the hoses out of those holes will be no problem.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I decided to go for the Undercover Flex. I like the way it fastens up by the cab without resting against the cab.

If I have to reduce the drain tubes a tad bit I will to get them out the holes in the side but I think I will be able to squeeze the hose through. If not - reducing it a bit seems to be a non-issue as lots of people seem to be reducing the tube size to go out various holes in various applications.

The cool thing I didn't know is that this cover mounts to the bed rails already in the truck so no clamping/drilling - pretty nice.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts