Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So bare with me here for a sec, this is a slight vent but also questioning the idea of the desire of highend, already build Tundras.

Seeing Devolro coming out with their Tundra line has me wondering if there is a market for pre-build Tundras (or any brand truck). I don't mean what some dealerships are doing by just installing a lift/tire package and calling it quits, I mean a built truck.

Here's what I am thinking...

Starting with a new Crewmax 4X4 5.7 Platinum edition (For this project I want to go with Radiant Red but since it is not available for PLT edition I am thinking of just white and doing a body wrap or color Line-X).

First thing, shoot it over to the guys in Salt Lake City @ Longbedmytruck.com
for a 6 ft bed conversion.

Then the fun stuff:
-Suspension lift - 4" ProComp with 305/55/20 tires (daily driver still)
-ARE Shell with racks and offroad L.E.D. bar lighting
-Nitro 4.88 Gears and Auburn LSD (yeah there went part of the warranty)
-TRD Supercharger and dual exhaust (Unichip needed) and brake kit
-46 Gallon fuel cell
-Oracle Halo Colorshift 2.0 BHLM lights with fogs
-Smitty Build front and rear bumpers
-Predator step rails
-Color matched grill, no chrome, debadged completely
-Weathertech vent shades

My very rough guestimate for additional items is around $41,700 in add-ons and I know there are things I am forgetting. The price for the truck is probablly around $40,000 give or take.

Opinions / adjustments? Yes this will get flamed, I'm just trying to put ideas to paper that may eventually go off of paper to the road...

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And yes, I am an addict that stays up at night thinking of Tundra stuff...

Reactions: dirtydeeds

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
There was a place back in the Bay Area called California Customs. They did just what you are saying above. They were very successful but I think there is a bit of a flaw in your logic. Trust me, this ain't my personal opinion but....

You have to start with the hottest truck out there. Sadly, the Tundra isn't it. While it's my opinion that it's the best truck for me, it isn't the hot shit out there.

You will need to start with a Ford Raptor or some sort of high end diesel. You will need to keep your finger on the pulse of the consumer industry.

As for your list, some of it is very personal preferences, and to start something like you are suggesting, you really have to keep some things Vanilla.

1) Oracle lights - if someone gave me a set, I'd put them on but I'm not on the market nor would I want to see them on an invoice. (they are sweet though)

2) Big gas tank - I would guess 80% of Tundra drivers don't care

3) Long Bed - again, some people can't drive the short bed! haha

I think if you want to make money and move inventory then you need to stick with a simple lift, universally accepted wheels, and mild upgrades.

On top of all of this, you need to be offering a full warranty for 60K+ miles, just like factory. That is where California Customs ran into issues if I remember correctly.

Now if this is a rig you would like to build for yourself, then I think you have a lot of great items that would make the truck look fantastic! :D

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Wouldn't it give you more flexibility if you start with a lower grade Tundra since you are gonna switch out the wheels, etc. Would it be feasible to take order from customers so you could match the mods with what they want? Since you are targeting the customers with $$, they are likely to be very specific as to what they like.

Reactions: jakec2789

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
^^^That is the key. You need to have a customer and a written contract prior to doing anything, then have the customer purchase the Tundra and hand it over to you for the modding; otherwise, you are on the hook for way too much liability and overhead. I would envision a sort of preliminary consultation where you meet with the customer prior to them purchasing a Tundra in order to evaluate what features they should get in the Tundra and what you will be scheduled to do to the Tundra upon delivery.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I was thinking pretty much. I know Devolro has a Chevy (at least I think it's a Chevy) done up.

I mention the longer bed on a CM though because everyone of my customers that come in with one always ask if Toyota is ever going to offer a bigger bed than the 5.5 bed.

The other items are mainly personal items but used as a rough idea (step rails, bumpers, etc..)

The lights I agree 100% on, I just like them and threw them in for shits and giggles, lol.

Warranty wise I'd skip out on a few of the things and still have a great build I think, that would sell well...

As far as a personal build, I'm still waiting to win the lottery before I can do the build I really want to do...

·
Registered
277 Posts
There are lots of shops that already do this, the idea is good, but not all that innovative to be honest. I have a friend here in AZ who owns Luxury Extreme Motorsports, and he just finished a raptor a few days ago that a surgeon out of Texas bought brand new from the dealer and had it shipped directly to him here in AZ. They but a lift, 35 inch tires, 3 different light bars, custom built front and rear bumper, long tube headers, dual exhaust, dual cutouts, tuner, custom built dual, vertical standing spare tire rack for the bed that also had a housing for a gas can and storage box, a matte white wrap, and I'm sure I'm missing a couple of things. When all is said and done, they guy spent over 100K on the truck. I guess my point here is that if you have the money to do all of these aftermarket upgrades/mods, then there are a ton of shops that can do them for you and would cater to your personal preferences instead of offering a cookie cutter "built" truck. I don't mean to be a dick here, I'm just offering my honest opinion.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Devolro isn't doing anything special that I can tell - don't get me wrong their black tundra is Bad arse but its just a black crewmax with interior upgrades, bumpers, rigids, fabtech kit and tires, ARB and gears, Supercharger, transferFlow gas tank and a carbon fiber wrap? What am I missing?

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not taking it as a dick at all, I appreciate the input. The main problem is there isn't anything close to here that I know of (there may be but I haven't seen them).

The PLT edition idea came from the stock upgrades that I was gearing towards like heated and cooled leather, auto AC, things that are harder to add aftermarket (that will work correctly).

Thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Lol! Looking through Devolro's gallery (Gallery | Devolro) I noticed that almost all of those pictures were taken within 100 miles of my house. Some of those "extreme" off road trails I have had my stock Platinum on. :D

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
When you said 6' bed conversion I take it you meant 6.5' since a 6" increase wouldn't really be worth it. I'd agree to probably use a lower end model than a platinum.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
"Dual cab" and "crewmax" are monickers, not classifications.

The "dual cab" is actually a crew cab, not an extended cab.
The "crewmax" is not a standard sized crew cab, it's much larger.
If you want a crew cab tundra with a 6.5 or 8' bed, Toyota already makes one.
They are never going to make a 4th frame platform to accommodate the crewmax cab with a 6.5' bed.
Sales would never justify the production expense. I don't care how many people think it would be cool, I'll bet my last donut that they wouldn't actually sell many.
Now, if tundra sold as many trucks as ford does and held 20%+ of truck sales, they would probably have 6 different frame platforms and every cab/bed config imaginable.
Sorry, don't mean to rant about this, but it comes up way too often and one mooyuk in another thread even went as far as to say that toyota crapped the bed because they didn't come out with a crew cab/6.5' bed for 2014.
Um, they did. They just call it a "dual cab".
Guess everyone has their silly crap that pushes their buttons. This topic is mine. Irks the shit outta me. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No worries, I get it!

I was referring to Toyota's title of Crewmax and Double cab in reference to the Longbedmytruck.com company's work with frame adjustment and fitment of the doublecab's 6.5 bed on the crewmax's setup.

I have seen one in person and absolutely loved it and personally having DC buyers remorse. I know for a fact that after the 2014's come out, I will have some decisions to make as far as doing another project for myself.

I will probably end up divorced or something but at least I'll be smiling when I'm driving! Kidding of course...

Thanks again for all the input guys!

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
You have to have a regular shop to afford building specialty trucks. You build a couple that can be shown and then wait for orders. And hope they come.
An ultimate truck is a personal thing, and a regional thing.
My truck was part of a factory experiment to see if a certain option package would sell. Well they all sat for many months until the 4k rebate came about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts