Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am looking to get a HID kit to hold me over until I can afford a retro-fit. All I am looking for is white lights. I don't want blue or purple or anything like that. So if anyone can point me in the direction of the right kit it would be much appreciated. I am planning on purchasing from DDM

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Word to mutha!

Btw Paz you have any pic of where I should mount the ballast?

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
Hey guys,

I am looking to get a HID kit to hold me over until I can afford a retro-fit. All I am looking for is white lights. I don't want blue or purple or anything like that. So if anyone can point me in the direction of the right kit it would be much appreciated. I am planning on purchasing from DDM

Go on eBay for $30 autovision

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I do go the DDM route do I need the HID harness, mounting brackets, or error eliminator?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Bought 5000k kits in the past (including very recently), and 5000k still has blue color to it. I installed 4300k bulbs on my last vehicle, and it was bright white. If you go for the eBay kits, find one that sells 4300k bulbs.

TRUST ME! Here's a pic of my current 5000k illumination. I'll post another pic once I get a new pair of 4300k bulbs.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
Bought 5000k kits in the past (including very recently), and 5000k still has blue color to it. I installed 4300k bulbs on my last vehicle, and it was bright white. If you go for the eBay kits, find one that sells 4300k bulbs.

TRUST ME! Here's a pic of my current 5000k illumination. I'll post another pic once I get a new pair of 4300k bulbs.

View attachment 53385

I agree that some will have some blue in it but I had some xentec hid kit n they were 6000k that were pure white, no blue. So I think it depends on which brand u get so just make sure u order what u want

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input guys. So what about fog? If I want those HID too I'll have to get another kit correct? I would like for them to match.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I agree that some will have some blue in it but I had some xentec hid kit n they were 6000k that were pure white, no blue. So I think it depends on which brand u get so just make sure u order what u want

I had Xentec. 6000k was more blue than white. Plus, the Xentec ballasts (when I bought in '08) didn't last more than a month or two. Replaced with new ballasts, same result. Bought different ballasts and bulbs from China, and they were still going strong when I traded that vehicle in for my Tundra 3 weeks ago. Maybe the quality changed (IDK). Just "my" experience with those.

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
I had Xentec. 6000k was more blue than white. Plus, the Xentec ballasts (when I bought in '08) didn't last more than a month or two. Replaced with new ballasts, same result. Bought different ballasts and bulbs from China, and they were still going strong when I traded that vehicle in for my Tundra 3 weeks ago. Maybe the quality changed (IDK). Just "my" experience with those.

I agree that they r crap

·
Registered
289 Posts
TRD-rew...

Hope the attachments give you an idea of what to expect. Sorry about the less than stellar iPhone 4S quality, but they are not enhanced either.

5000K bulbs

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

4300K bulbs

Vehicle Headlamp Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Didn't snap a driver view with 5000K bulbs, but I definitely noticed the blue color illuminating the road. Sad thing is, other vehicles with halogens lit up the road better. Here's a shot from the driver seat earlier tonight. This is with the 4300K bulbs.

Road Night Light Automotive lighting Mode of transport

Hope this helps. The 4300K bulbs are much better at lighting up what it's supposed to.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again. Looking at your pics I am actually leaning towards to 5k. The 4300 seem a bit yellowish. Not sure if that's the phone camera or what

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks again. Looking at your pics I am actually leaning towards to 5k. The 4300 seem a bit yellowish. Not sure if that's the phone camera or what

You would have to see in person. Try the 5000K for yourself. That may be your preference. When I first tried HIDs ~10 yrs ago, I started with 6000K (real blue). I intentionally wanted blue back then. As I got older, a whiter light output is what I wanted. Tried 5000K, and that wasn't enough. So, the 4300K is what I stuck with.

Again, try what ya want, and stick with what ya like best. Post your review(s) after you've tried em out. Good luck!

*edit*
BTW... Only the low beams have HIDs. My fog lights are still halogen (stock) bulbs. I'm hoping to find Silverstar Ultra bulbs for those.

·
Registered
44 Posts
55 watt morimoto 6k HID's. Very white and love them

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,324 Posts
TRD-rew...

Hope the attachments give you an idea of what to expect. Sorry about the less than stellar iPhone 4S quality, but they are not enhanced either.

5000K bulbs

View attachment 57353

4300K bulbs

View attachment 57361

Didn't snap a driver view with 5000K bulbs, but I definitely noticed the blue color illuminating the road. Sad thing is, other vehicles with halogens lit up the road better. Here's a shot from the driver seat earlier tonight. This is with the 4300K bulbs.

View attachment 57369

Hope this helps. The 4300K bulbs are much better at lighting up what it's supposed to.

Thank you for this!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have you tried putting your camera on HDR setting and taking the picture?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Works well. Look at the photo of my HID's. That's with the HDR on my iPhone 4

1 - 20 of 36 Posts