Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
installing reverse lights is super easy, but I figured I'd do a quick write up on how my install went.

Tools needed:

T30 Torx wrench
Cordless Drill
Pliers
2 Self-tapping screws
double sided tape
Electrical Tape

Difficulty level:

1 Beer

Step 1

Remove lights using T30 bit (2 bolts) and pull straight off to the side (2 metal tabs inside)

Step 2

Clean a spot off to mount the ballast on the brace, put some double sided tape on the back of the ballast and use the self-tapping screws to mount the ballast.

This picture is looking from the rear towards the front of the truck. I mounted it as high as I could to keep it away from rain/mud.

Step 3

pull the stock reverse bulb and plug in the harness. This can only be inserted one way... If you put it in backwards, it will not work. Plug the other end into the ballast.

*I did have to bend the tabs a little to make it fit... it was a little snug...

Step 4

Push bulb into the socket. With a little bit of wiggling it "snaps" into place

Step 5

Plug everything in and make sure it works

Step 6

Seal up all the connections (possibly overkill, but I always try to seal everything up.) Reinstall tail lights using T30 bit.

With my tinted tails, I'm not sure how much actual, useable, l light will be emitted, but for $55, I think they're cool. They're definitely brighter than stock.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
Good write up bro. What brand kit did u end up using?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks for the write up ko. Like you, my tails are tinted dark so these might not work as well as I thought. But for $55 I couldn't pass it up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Nice write up really wanting to do this mod. Where exactly did you mount the ballest? Is it behind the light?

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup. the pic of the ballast is looking from the rear of the truck towards the front into the void in the fender where the housing goes. I mounted it as high as i could get my drill into to keep it away from rain/mud.

there is a brace there that you can easily mount to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts