Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to purchase the 4300 Kensun kits from Amazon for my low beam and fogs. I have a limited with the oem 20" wheels and planning to keep my truck as-is, no leveling kit or anything else to change the front end level.

have any of you who have installed an HID kit, leaving your truck as-is (stock height), w/out raising the front end, did you find that you still had to adjust the headlights or were you okay even with HID's?

thanks.

· Registered
116 Posts
I am planning to purchase the 4300 Kensun kits from Amazon for my low beam and fogs. I have a limited with the oem 20" wheels and planning to keep my truck as-is, no leveling kit or anything else to change the front end level.

have any of you who have installed an HID kit, leaving your truck as-is (stock height), w/out raising the front end, did you find that you still had to adjust the headlights or were you okay even with HID's?

thanks.
You should be fine where you are....

· Registered
517 Posts
I've noticed only when you lift/level your truck does it blind people hahah. I've been getting flashed(not the good kind) for a year since I leveled my truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
187 Posts
I've got my truck leveled and I pass up multiple middle fingers a night, you should be good though. Have you thought of getting projectors?

· "BHLM Master"
3,193 Posts
That rake will solve your issue of blinding people just as everyone has said above- when you level her though you'll be clicking it down a notch or two to maintain where you are at now

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. nps3928 I have considered projectors but it will likely occur end of year or next year before I am ready to pull the trigger. For now I thought I would go with HID's since the Kensun's are not too expensive.

Although, I already purchased and installed Phillip Ultra's for low, hi's and fog thinking I would like these but they are not what I expected either and thank goodness these weren't expensive.

I guess for what I paid for the Phillip's and what I will pay for the Kensun's I could have used the funds towards a projector setup.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All, its been a few years since I purchased and installed HID's and I am seeing that now I can buy just the bulbs and connectors w/out ballasts or I can buy them with ballasts?

Is it safe to say that if I do HID I should definitely buy the set with ballasts?

Also, the last time I did have set installed on my car it came with a wire that also connected to the battery terminal, is this still the case for HID sets and what's the purpose of this?

Thanks.

· Registered
116 Posts
All, its been a few years since I purchased and installed HID's and I am seeing that now I can buy just the bulbs and connectors w/out ballasts or I can buy them with ballasts?

Is it safe to say that if I do HID I should definitely buy the set with ballasts?

Also, the last time I did have set installed on my car it came with a wire that also connected to the battery terminal, is this still the case for HID sets and what's the purpose of this?

Thanks.

Thats a relay harness. In some vehicles, the OEM headlight harness does not provide either enough current, or the current that is supplied is not steady enough and would cause the ballasts not to ignite, or to flicker...you shouldn't have any issues with your truck.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Projectors vs. Retrofit Projectors

All, as I wrote in other threads I am still reading and trying to understand all info on lighting, bulbs, etc.., and the difference between projectors and retrofit projectors, to try and decide which is better to purchase. So before I purchase HID kits I thought I'd ask the questions below re projectors first.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Projectors that are sold on Ebay or other sites are headlights already built as projectors and come equipped with HID kits or halogen bulbs. Is this correct? Are they true projectors and are they worth the cost?

Retrofit headlights are usually OEM headlights off a vehicle, say my truck and will be modified to house an actual projector component system to mirror the headlights on Lexus, BMW, etc.. Is this correct?

There's a signifcant price difference between the two and I would like to know if both are relatively the same or are they significantly different.

Again, I am still learing about these.

I appreciate any feedback.

· Registered
72 Posts
I dont think the projectors that come off of ebay have the lights already in them. If you were to get the projectors from ebay, they wont have the "step ladder" light effect if you were to put HID's in them (keep in mind that HID's are only like $40 and some change for shipping and all that). Now with that said, if you do an actual retrofit (yes you are correct on what a retrofit is) you can have that look like a lexus, BMW, and Benz, as well as have the step ladder effect If you just put HID's in what you have right now (which is what I did a couple of days ago) you will see the road alot better than with stock halogens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.