Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I owned a 2006 4Runner for several years then a 2014 FJ. I'm still active on the FJ forum with the same screen name. < Wave to my FJ peeps >
Right now I am driving an F250 with the 6.7 diesel because Toyota doesn't build anything capable of pulling a heavy trailer.
(If the Tundra had an available diesel with 800 ft lbs of torque I would have bought it.)

Anyway, we are looking at downsizing soon and I may be in the market for a Tundra to pull a much smaller, lighter camper, only about 6,000 lbs.
That being said, I know certain years and certain models have this issue or that and they vary by manufacturer.
Say for instance maybe the 2011 had a weak rear axle that they fixed in 2012 or in 2013 if you got the manual transmission there was an issue
with reverse, or the 2010 had electrical problems but only if you had the crew cab, stuff like that.
So I'm wondering if someone could give their opinion on which year model or configurations to stay away from.

Thanks

:nerd:

Registered
The 5.7L V8 engine is the same engine that has been in the Tundras since 2007. I think it's the same 6-speed transmission as well. So nothing you have to worry about there from one model year to the next. The changes over the years have mostly been styling (grills, headlights, etc). I'm not sure about suspension or axle changes over the years, but I'm sure the more knowledgeable folks around here will give you some info on that.

There are plenty of truck reviews out there that call the Tundra dated and old because it hasn't changed much in 10 years. But I think that's one of the best things about the Tundra! The engine and transmission are tried and true, and we know what to expect from them. I almost bought a RAM ecodiesel, and so glad I didn't because those are starting to have tons of problems after 3 years. I almost bought a F150 ecoboost, and so glad I didn't because of all the problems those have (I think they are now on their 3rd generation in 5 years?).

Welcome aboard, keep reading and researching. The more and more I researched the Tundra the happier I am with my choice and glad I'm ending up with an 'outdated' truck that is reliable.

Registered
If you're like me you will be upgrading everything! So go with what makes you happy. A 6000 lbs trailer will be an easy pull with the 5.7L. I have a 7000 GVW trailer and I don't have any problems pulling it up the hill. I'm thinking of going with the riderite airbag system as the tongue wait makes the back end sag.

Registered
Hello and welcome, from the oil fields of West Texas. If I were in the market to buy another tundra I would get a 2013 Crew with the 5.7L. Although the 2014+ body style is growing on me. But mechanically the 2nd/3rd generation Tundra are about the same. Either way, best of luck to you.

Registered

Welcome to the forum from The Land of Whispering Bushes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts