Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't own a Tundra, but looking for a truck and this one is definitely a contender. Trying to figure out a package, color, and need to take a drive with one to try it out. Not many local dealers, closest one is about an hour away. Thinking 4X4 TUNDRA DBL CAB SR 5.7L with TRD Off-Road Package, but would really like a long box too...

I do have an older 98 Tacoma with 400K but the frame has suffered from rust disease. Otherwise it's been a great little truck, never let me down or died on the road. Just change the fluids once in a while, tires, and I think 2 sets of brake pads/rotors etc. If another Toyota gives me the same service they be the only choice!

Also have a chev 1/2 ton with 1/4 of the mileage, it's too much of a work in progress... always something wrong and I don't always have time to fix it. It's let me down too often. Need to get rid of it!

Lots of great info on here, been reading through the threads for a while now, might as well join the group. :)

-G.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Don't own a Tundra, but looking for a truck and this one is definitely a contender. Trying to figure out a package, color, and need to take a drive with one to try it out. Not many local dealers, closest one is about an hour away. Thinking 4X4 TUNDRA DBL CAB SR 5.7L with TRD Off-Road Package, but would really like a long box too...

I do have an older 98 Tacoma with 400K but the frame has suffered from rust disease. Otherwise it's been a great little truck, never let me down or died on the road. Just change the fluids once in a while, tires, and I think 2 sets of brake pads/rotors etc. If another Toyota gives me the same service they be the only choice!

Also have a chev 1/2 ton with 1/4 of the mileage, it's too much of a work in progress... always something wrong and I don't always have time to fix it. It's let me down too often. Need to get rid of it!
Welcome aboard!

I could say I'm surprised your choice is taking so long, but I also checked out the Chevys before buying another Toyota. I bought my first, and only, Toyota truck in 1987, and I still have it.

What you'll find is Toyota is arrogant enough to believe that they can design trucks better than you, the customer. You will find that they don't offer a plethora of rear axle ratios for people who think they know just how to build a truck to fill their specific driving purpose better than the manufacturer. They offer you their best idea of a truck, and that's all you get. IRC, you can only get one axle ratio (3.9?), except with a towing package, and then you can only get one ratio (4.3?), and that only with the 5.7 liter.

Consequently, you will find you can't get that long bed with a DC, 6.5' is the longest you can get, and I expect it has to do with them thinking the customer thinks he wants a long bed with an extended cab...until he begins to drive/park it in civilization. They seem to offer bling and features with reluctance, technology that is sometimes antiquated, and they are outrageously conservative and brutally honest in their expectations of their vehicles; which, typically, will overachieve when put to the test.

That horrible gas mileage advertised on the window sticker?...Believe it, because they, unlike other manufacturers, have never flinched about putting the bad news out there, or guilty of trying to finesse the result to satisfy the government. Styling wise, they look like they tried to build a Fordrolet, with all the style, as I read here recently, "of a concrete block".

And, yet, Toyota continues to sell their trucks...Why is that? Because if you need/want a truck, you want a TRUCK, gas mileage not withstanding. The first thing I noticed in test driving the 2017 SR5 DC 4.6L I eventually bought, was...Dang, this thing rides like a dam TRUCK! :) Buyers also know that they COULD buy used, but that a used Tundra one or two years old will cost nearly as much as a new one, and will still be worth more than other brands when they sell. A Tundra will always be a truck for the next owner, not a dolled up car-truck that's pretty much useless for real truck purposes. But, what bothered me most shopping Chevy was not the product, but the dealers; I felt like I needed a shower after a visit...and visiting dealers is probably my least enjoyable thing in life. :(

P.S. If you still live in the same climate as when you owned the Tacoma, you might consider annual application of that "Fluid Film" rust preventative that has been discussed on TT. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"I felt like I needed a shower after a visit...and visiting dealers is probably my least enjoyable thing in life."
Should be the quote of the day! Certainly one of my most hated duties. I'm usually happy when I do settle on whatever I decide to purchase, so I don't really know why it's such an ordeal.
Will look into "fluid film", sounds like a good idea!
-G.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
:D I haven't put many miles on it, but I'm happy with it, and have absolutely no regrets for staying with Toyota!: "Built Here; Lives Here" ;)

I looking forward to taking it on a long trip to test it's comfort level for long stretches. I'd also like to find out if the gas mileage gets better on the highway. But, it is what it is, and the window sticker clearly forewarned me I was buying a truck. Right now the meter is setting pretty steady on 16.1 mpg, and that just a hair better than the average they promise. On a side note, I ran across a window sticker for my old 1986 4Runner the other day: The window sticker claimed it would get 20 mpg in town, and 23 mpg on the highway. I remembered back in the day, it consistently got exactly 23 mpg calculated on the highway.

It's hilly in my part of the world, and I noticed driving it home that the 4.6L does seem to have to shift the transmission a lot in changing terrain to maintain speed. That would probably improve with the 5.7L, but the Tundra is a BIG truck. The 4.6L is the equivalent of the old 283/289 cubic inch engines back in the day, but it is squeezing probably 6-10 percent more horsepower out of the displacement because it's fuel injected and electronically controlled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.