Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming the truck is in really good shape and checks out with a 160 point used car inspection would anyone have any hesitancy purchasing a 10-11 year old Tundra with 160K miles? How many miles could I get if I am lucky? My wife thinks me crazy for spending any money on something that old with so many miles but I am reading Tundras can get 300-400K miles if they are taken care of? TIA!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I’ve got165k on my 2008 and it’s as strong as ever. A lot of variables come into your decision though such as cost of the vehicle, primary use, location of vehicle, etc. It’s all a guessing game but Toyota with that 5.7 is about as reliable as it gets!

·
Registered
598 Posts
It is always questionable buying anything with that many miles. But some vehicles have big problems as soon as they leave the dealer. Such as the 2020 Ford F-250 to F-550 trucks 10 speed transmissions that have been recalled and some people complained as they drove home. Toyota has a much higher reliability record than any other brand. With that said. I sold my 1999 Hi-Lux V-6 with 190,000 miles on it. That truck under went the head gasket recall, and a front set of rotors and pads, and a muffler.

My 2000 Tundra I sold with 124,000 miles as the kids were getting bigger and we needed more room. I replaced a set of front rotors and pads and a starter. I sold it locally to an avid outdoors man who drives it 100s of miles out in the middle of nowhere and the owner has around 270,000 miles on it and has replaced the coil packs and a front wheel bearing.

My 2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max currently has 170,000 miles on it. I installed a Magnussion supercharger, and ARB Air lockers at 148,000, replaced the transmission at 154,000, belt tensioner, and a carrier bearing on the rear drive shaft, replaced two sets of brakes, one set not really needed but it was trailering season so I changed them. Quite a bit of towing usually up or down hill very little level ground. Also a bit of off roading.

Completed a 2800 mile trip this month with no incidents and there are at least two Tundras with a million miles on them. One purchased back by Toyota to evaluate. The other one I think is still running and probably has around 1.3 million by now. Yes there are parts that will wear out and need replacing but that is with any vehicle you buy.

I found a 4-Runner 4.7 L for a relative with 134,000 miles on it with all Toyota maintenance records from the original dealer. Her Dad thought it was to high of mileage. She now has around 280,000 on it.

I hope this information helps. If you get a good enough price and the truck was well taken care of with matience records I would not be afraid of it. You may have to have basic wear parts replaced over time like a starter, coil packs, brakes, hopefully the transmission was serviced fluid and filter once or twice with those miles although Toyota did not recommend it. I asked my local Toyota dealer to change fluid an filter and they would not do it. The second time I asked to have it done it was not done but I paid for it. If the transmission was just serviced and now it is for sale I would be leery. The fluid was probably black and the solenoids are probably contaminated.

Reactions: 1_Hill

·
Registered
2010 Rock Warrior Double Cab.
4 Posts
I Just bought a 2010 with 130K. Runs and drives great. I'm just going through and getting the maintenance to where I like it. Park brake, brake pads, tires. Plan on seeing 300 with it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
One thing to note: if the "160 point inspection" is done by the dealer then I would be suspicious of the results. The dealer has a financial stake in the results, and less things found equals more money in his pocket. Sure, he'll find a few low dollar items to make it look good (brakes, maybe change a few fluids), but any high dollar items like engine compression issues are all but guaranteed to check out fine.
If the inspection is done by an independent shop, and you pay for it, then the results will be much more reliable.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a 2010 with 130,000 miles on it. Bought it used seven years ago with 40,000 miles on it. Plan on keeping her for quite awhile! Only big item that broke was the tailgate handle stopped working. Just refreshed my Tundra with new suspension, skid plates, tires, led lights, arb bumper, warn winch, etc. I think it looks better than the new ones!

Reactions: 1_Hill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I too have one when I bought it in 2012 with 140000 miles. I had to change a lot of parts to bring it back to the working condition since it was in the worst condition. Changes tires, lights and steering wheel also. Even I have installed a router in my van just in case. I login into it from the IP 192.168.l5.1

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2010 LTD with 181K on it, and its my daily driver. Runs perfect. Wife wants me to get a new truck, but why? Runs great and is still in fantastic shape. I constantly receive compliments. Make sure that the dealer gives you a fair price and warranties it for 30 days in case something goes south

·
Registered
1 Posts
Assuming the truck is in really good shape and checks out with a 160 point used car inspection would anyone have any hesitancy purchasing a 10-11 year old Tundra with 160K miles? How many miles could I get if I am lucky? My wife thinks me crazy for spending any money on something that old with so many miles but I am reading Tundras can get 300-400K miles if they are taken care of? TIA!
I would not hesitate to buy a '10 or '11 if the price is right. Because of Tundra's reputation and documented reliability the prices are quite high.

My '07 has 210k miles and is still running strong. I pull our 25 ft. RV trailer without hesitancy. My mechanic just checked it over for me and said all looks good. I replace a wheel bearing this past winter. We plan to travel throughout the West starting next month. I would like to have a newer Tundra, but can't justify the cost when my '07 runs well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a 2009 Limited in November with 172k miles from the original owner. He had all the dealer service records. I wouldn’t buy from a used car dealer, but if you do, get an independent mechanic to go over it. Toyotas are over engineered, but if it wasn’t maintained well, it will have issues sooner than later. I love my truck and I’m building it up as an overland rig. Also, be patient and the right one will come along. I waited several months to find a good truck for what o could afford.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine is a 2009 5.7 with 308k currently, I bought it new. Plan on keeping forever/1 million miles, whichever comes first ;)

Just get an inspection from a place other than the one selling it, and as long as you have $5k in a repair fund there's nothing that should go wrong more expensive than that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Two years ago I purchased my 2011 with 138000 miles on it. The truck was extremely well kept by the previous owner who kept it at his vacation home. CARFAX showed the first two years were 124000 obviously highway miles then the next six years the remaining 14000 after being retired to vacation use. I constantly am getting, "Must be nice to have a new truck." comments. It has run like a dream since I purchased it with nothing but services and accessory toys (aftermarket sound system and grill guard) and of course fuel in my two years of loving it. I expect many more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had no qualms about buying mine @ 155K. Mine is a 1st gen 4.7, but hey, it's a Toyota.
I had a 4Runner and a Tacoma before this that were both maintenance and wear items only for many years/miles, and I knew the history of my Tundra... HOUNDED my father in law for a long time to sell it to me.
He was in the aircraft industry and LOVES keeping records and logs :ROFLMAO: He handed me not only all the maintenance records, but also a notebook with every freaking tank of gas he ever put in it from '99 till I bought it (2016?) That tradition was broken immediately. lol

If it has been well maintained don't worry about the miles, it's a Toyota.

I don't beat on my trucks (Well, maybe a little) but I damn sure don't baby 'em and the Toyota's just keep motoring along. We just got back from a 1,000 mile tow San Diego to Sedona and back, and the Tundra didn't miss a beat! This trip put it just over 195K miles

·
Registered
21 Posts
I own a 2011 Tundra 5.7 four-door 4x4. Bought it practically brand new. now has 179,000 mi. We are planning on driving it to Colorado in July I have absolutely no worries. The only "major" repair item is replacing the alternator and serpentine belt at 170,000 mi. I also own a 2003 Toyota Tundra 4.7 4x4. Recently Toyota swapped the frame. That little truck is a beast. Absolutely no trouble at 200158 miles.I'd say test your perspective vehicle out thoroughly yourself. Take it for a ride. Put it through some paces see what it's got.

·
Registered
2012 CM SR5 5.7L 4WD
19 Posts
I purchase my 2012 crewmax SR5 with 142 on the ticker. Had no reservations at all

·
Registered
2012 CM SR5 5.7L 4WD
19 Posts
I bought a 2009 Limited in November with 172k miles from the original owner. He had all the dealer service records. I wouldn’t buy from a used car dealer, but if you do, get an independent mechanic to go over it. Toyotas are over engineered, but if it wasn’t maintained well, it will have issues sooner than later. I love my truck and I’m building it up as an overland rig. Also, be patient and the right one will come along. I waited several months to find a good truck for what o could afford.
I thought about building mine up as well for over landing. 2012 crewmax 5.7 SR5. Bought with 142k on the odo currently at 152k 11 months later. It was a single owner and well kept. I’m sure he did some towing as he had installed a break controller. The only issue I’ve experienced is the chain tensioner tock noise that are on the forums

·
Registered
2012 CM SR5 5.7L 4WD
19 Posts
My 2011 has 298k and it’s in great shape. I was burning oil not long ago and came out to be spark plug orings. Changed them out and it’s back to perfect. No cel’s, weird noises, etc. Only thing is the crappy gas mileage but we all know that. This was spring break In Big Bend View attachment 885531
Love the paint job

·
Registered
2012 CM SR5 5.7L 4WD
19 Posts
It is always questionable buying anything with that many miles. But some vehicles have big problems as soon as they leave the dealer. Such as the 2020 Ford F-250 to F-550 trucks 10 speed transmissions that have been recalled and some people complained as they drove home. Toyota has a much higher reliability record than any other brand. With that said. I sold my 1999 Hi-Lux V-6 with 190,000 miles on it. That truck under went the head gasket recall, and a front set of rotors and pads, and a muffler.

My 2000 Tundra I sold with 124,000 miles as the kids were getting bigger and we needed more room. I replaced a set of front rotors and pads and a starter. I sold it locally to an avid outdoors man who drives it 100s of miles out in the middle of nowhere and the owner has around 270,000 miles on it and has replaced the coil packs and a front wheel bearing.

My 2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max currently has 170,000 miles on it. I installed a Magnussion supercharger, and ARB Air lockers at 148,000, replaced the transmission at 154,000, belt tensioner, and a carrier bearing on the rear drive shaft, replaced two sets of brakes, one set not really needed but it was trailering season so I changed them. Quite a bit of towing usually up or down hill very little level ground. Also a bit of off roading.

Completed a 2800 mile trip this month with no incidents and there are at least two Tundras with a million miles on them. One purchased back by Toyota to evaluate. The other one I think is still running and probably has around 1.3 million by now. Yes there are parts that will wear out and need replacing but that is with any vehicle you buy.

I found a 4-Runner 4.7 L for a relative with 134,000 miles on it with all Toyota maintenance records from the original dealer. Her Dad thought it was to high of mileage. She now has around 280,000 on it.

I hope this information helps. If you get a good enough price and the truck was well taken care of with matience records I would not be afraid of it. You may have to have basic wear parts replaced over time like a starter, coil packs, brakes, hopefully the transmission was serviced fluid and filter once or twice with those miles although Toyota did not recommend it. I asked my local Toyota dealer to change fluid an filter and they would not do it. The second time I asked to have it done it was not done but I paid for it. If the transmission was just serviced and now it is for sale I would be leery. The fluid was probably black and the solenoids are probably contaminated.
As far as the trans fluid, my neighbor is a certified Toyota tech and did mine at 145k mi. He only did a drain and refill and not a flush. He doesn’t recommend doing a flush for the trans fluid at all. He has a gen1 and services it the same way. Diff fluid every year as well

1 - 20 of 23 Posts