Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know about Hertz or have any opinions? Theres a local shop here thats pretty squared away and they mainly carry all the Hertz stuff. Just wanting to know what yall think.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I love the stuff. I got the HSK 165's, put the tweeters in the dash, 6.5's in the doors, and run them active with an HDP5 amp. The woofers had a decent amount of mid bass. Tweeters are pretty nice and shimmery as well. They've handled everything I've thrown at them with ease.

Reactions: armyrgr

·
Registered
583 Posts
.... Is top notch. Just finishing your thread title :D

I love mine- really a great sound to me and without completely breaking the bank. I'm sure you've probably heard them at the shop, but bring in some music that has very distinct EQ bands (like some classical). That's where you'll really hear the clarity of the speakers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
... the stuff is outstanding.

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thx guys thats all I needed to hear. Looking at throwing the HCX 165 6.5's in the the rear doors, and maybe the ECX 6x9's in the front doors with maybe some tweeters in the dash, All running off by a hertz amp(which one?). Combine this with a Kenwood Excelon DNX890HD, and adding a Hertz sub later. Do yall think I should do 6.5's in all 4 doors? Whats the mounting space needed for the doors in a 2011 Crewmax? I know the HCX's need 2.96 inches....

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thx guys thats all I needed to hear. Looking at throwing the HCX 165 6.5's in the the rear doors, and maybe the ECX 6x9's in the front doors with maybe some tweeters in the dash, All running off by a hertz amp(which one?). Combine this with a Kenwood Excelon DNX890HD, and adding a Hertz sub later. Do yall think I should do 6.5's in all 4 doors? Whats the mounting space needed for the doors in a 2011 Crewmax? I know the HCX's need 2.96 inches....
Food for thought- put the money from the rear speakers into the sub. I have my fade mostly towards the front as if you think about when you are at a concert, you hear the music the same way- in the front 180 degree of your hearing range. A sub will then provide the much fuller sound throughout the truck, and the thing you'll hear/notice the least will be your rear speakers.

The sub will make much more of a difference in the sound, and you enjoy it much more than rear speakers.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah, don't waste any time or money going all out on the rear door speakers, and have a really good front stage and sub.

With the time alignment on my head unit set correctly, it makes a world of a difference where the image is coming from. Even when switching from the custom setting to a "Front Driver" preset, it is night and day.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Food for thought- put the money from the rear speakers into the sub. I have my fade mostly towards the front as if you think about when you are at a concert, you hear the music the same way- in the front 180 degree of your hearing range. A sub will then provide the much fuller sound throughout the truck, and the thing you'll hear/notice the least will be your rear speakers.

The sub will make much more of a difference in the sound, and you enjoy it much more than rear speakers.
Yeah, don't waste any time or money going all out on the rear door speakers, and have a really good front stage and sub.

With the time alignment on my head unit set correctly, it makes a world of a difference where the image is coming from. Even when switching from the custom setting to a "Front Driver" preset, it is night and day.
Good Looking out guys. I'll be sure to bring this up today to the guys. Do I want to at a minimum put something in the rear doors? Just doesn't have to be the top line from Hertz, correct? Even though the front doors are 6x9, I've heard before to go to a 6.5" speaker in the front. higher quality sound from a 6.5" is what someone told me before. So with that said, and if I am on the right track, I should throw the HCX 165's in the front doors and something less expensive in the rear?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have the 6.5's in the front, expect their 2 way system (tweeter and crossover). Listen to both in the shop if they have them set up (HSK vs HCX). I left my rear doors stock- they sound better with a upgraded HU and amp, and more so- felt no need to put money into "filler sound" as all the detail was coming from up front and my sub.

Again, I like to set my sound up in more of a concert type mode, listening the music from the front 180 degrees, so that decision was simple for me. Setting the timing on the HU makes a HUGE difference- as jaxadam pointed out - even front single vs front both (only you in the car or both you and a passenger) makes a big difference. My wife even yells at me to "switch it back right" when she's in the car 'cause I'm selfish and always change it to the driver only set up :D

EDIT: FYI- if she has a movie on during a trip, I will put it in the full cab setting (passengers in all seats) as you get a great surround sound feel with the DVD sound set ups. This is when I'll actually hear the rears more, but again, just like your rear speakers in a surround sound- the background/accessory sounds.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the 6.5's in the front, expect their 2 way system (tweeter and crossover). Listen to both in the shop if they have them set up (HSK vs HCX). I left my rear doors stock- they sound better with a upgraded HU and amp, and more so- felt no need to put money into "filler sound" as all the detail was coming from up front and my sub.

Again, I like to set my sound up in more of a concert type mode, listening the music from the front 180 degrees, so that decision was simple for me. Setting the timing on the HU makes a HUGE difference- as jaxadam pointed out - even front single vs front both (only you in the car or both you and a passenger) makes a big difference. My wife even yells at me to "switch it back right" when she's in the car 'cause I'm selfish and always change it to the driver only set up :D

EDIT: FYI- if she has a movie on during a trip, I will put it in the full cab setting (passengers in all seats) as you get a great surround sound feel with the DVD sound set ups. This is when I'll actually hear the rears more, but again, just like your rear speakers in a surround sound- the background/accessory sounds.
Thanks buddy

Reactions: nibbs

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks buddy
no problem- just paying it forward... fortunate enough to have plenty of people push me in "the right direction" :D

Hertz are starting to become a lot more popular in the states- across the seas, they are more so. If you have a local shop that actually knows a deal about them and was going through them with you (just in my experiences), you have a good shop. Not saying there aren't better speakers, equal speakers, or other routes to go, but you'll be getting a great sounding system for a good price- rather than spending a bunch more for the same quality, or a little less for something that isn't in the same league at all.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I left my rear doors stock- they sound better with a upgraded HU and amp, and more so- felt no need to put money into "filler sound" as all the detail was coming from up front and my sub.
This is exactly what I did.

Also, I've always preferred 6.5 components over 5.25's or 6 x 9's. I just feel you are going to get a better frequency response and quality when they are dialed in, because a good sub will pick up where the low end leaves off on the 6.5; 5.25's can miss some of it, and 6 x 9's can become too muddy.

You're on the right track for sure. You will be very pleased with your new audio setup.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Ha I was thinking heavy equipment.... leaf river cellulose
Guess I should pay attention to what section the thread is in

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I was right there with you...Completely lost. I've never even heard of Hertz Audio Gear.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was right there with you...Completely lost. I've never even heard of Hertz Audio Gear.
BIG SHASTA! you're close man. Did you do the white LED dash kit, and install the HID kits yourself? If so, I could use you're help. Maybe you could show me a thing or two...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ive been pretty pleased with my Hertz Subs. I did (2) 8in subs in a sealed box with a Hertz 5 channel amp to run them and the rest of the speakers. No regrets here. Bass is good, clarity is better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts