Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo, with my first child on the way I've been seriously contemplating on upgrading my truck. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my truck but the double cab just isn't all there size wise for car seats. I've taken my niece and nephew for the weekend a few times and its pretty tight in there with my wife, the two kiddos and there day bags.

My 11 DC, just turned 20k and I have just over 9k left on the loan, the local dealer has a 13 Crewmax stickering at 39k. I checked truecar, and says I should be paying 27k. I didn't see any blow out specials for clearing the lots for 14's. They only have like 15 tundras left on the lot as well.

Also, no more black! Silver. so I'll have to strip my old truck of grill, handles, fender flares.

I'd more than likely leave the leveling kit, and just strip what I could to throw on the 13.

I am at odds, I am still torn that I could be just rushing into this and should wait and see how everything fits or if I should start really shopping hard to snatch up a really good deal.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
If the CM you were looking at is TRD, 4x4 and 5.7, there's no way that the truck is worth 27k. Any one of those missing would knock off the price by roughly $3k.

I would say that any regret you will have will be compensated by roomy interior and sliding rear window. :D Do it. You will love it. You should be able to pay several k's less than the MSRP though. Do you have a friend who is a savy negotiator? I am not, so I always bring one with me, haha.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill stop back by tomorrow to get specifics

quick walk around with it, it's. 5.7 non ffv,4x4, trd package, tow package

there is no factory bed liner, the horrible chrome factory steps, and no tow mirrors :(

factory 18" trd alloys with Bfg rugged trails.

my wife wants me to leave this one alone if I pull the trigger but we all know how that goes, I've already made the growing pains with my current truck so it should be easier this time around lol

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
Well, the tow pkg is only a $600 option and most tundras come with them from the factory.
The TRD pkg is basically just the wheels/tires, a set of stiffer shocks, the decal on the bed and maybe an extra skid plate or 2. Not much to it, but that's a $3k pkg. the side steps can be had aftermarket for $3-500. But, as a dealer add-on, they jack the price of the truck by at least double that.
So, I guess I could see how they're trying to get 39k out of it.
You might not like the stiffer shocks. To me, the TRD pkg is $3k for alum wheels and a stiffer ride. You can get aftermarket wheels for way less than 3k.
I would try to shop around and find a non- TRD CM with no dealer add-ons. I ended up finding my truck through a dealer that was 1.5 hrs away from me. But I got exactly what I wanted and only paid 32k.
You already know you hate the side steps and I think you won't like the stiffer ride with the wife and newborn. No point in paying extra for those things.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
My 2013 DC is just fine for my two boys (5 months and 2 years) in the back.
Yep, the DC has as much room as other crew cabs and is adequate.
But the CM has so much more room and is really nice to have. Especially with car seats and baby bags and toys and mom wanting to sit back there with the kid(s) on longer trips, recline the seat, stretch her legs, etc, etc.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yep, the DC has as much room as other crew cabs and is adequate.
But the CM has so much more room and is really nice to have. Especially with car seats and baby bags and toys and mom wanting to sit back there with the kid(s) on longer trips, recline the seat, stretch her legs, etc, etc.
there is the sum of it really , when my sister in law comes over and they go to the park they put 3 car seats in the back ages ,1 ,2 and 3 and 2 adults with plenty of legs room and enough toys diaper bags and supplies and it works great .

The double cab works great and will do it but I think the deciding factor is height , all of my family is 6 foot and taller except my mother even wife is 5-11 , so being able to put a baby gear and 4 very tall adults is a huge bonus to me because the truck is what my daughter rides in most of the time. So we always pack in around her.
I can't stand having the kids kick the back of the seats in my other car or in my wife's suv it drives me crazy. With the room it isn't an issue .
Look at carmax , yes they sell new toyotas and they will give you a pretty accurate price on how low they will go . Mine was 4x2 cm sr5 was 37500 and I got it before taxes for 31500, I also specifically wanted a certain color and package combination so I had to wait for mine to be brought in so i might have done better with one there on the lot.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
If you're at Fort Benning, I'm assuming you're military. I used the USAA car buying service to get a great no haggle price, You can probably do a little better with a lot of negotiating but I thought it was a great deal for a no haggle price. If your not a member of USAA it's easy to join if you or anyone in your family is or was ever military. You can see the price they will get you even without any dealer getting your name until your ready to buy.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I traded my black DC '11 with 22k miles on it for a '13 and got $28k in trade in value plus they moved all my mods over including the level kit. Just take your time, negotiate, and you'll do just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
I made the switch from a DC to CM and don't regret it one day. I also went from black to white, another very large plus. I don't have the time any more to detail a black truck. White hides so much three weeks will go by before I think about washing it.

Not having the kiddos kick the back seat is awesome. It's also very awesome that my seat is all the way back and the rear facing car seat still fits without touching. The CM is great for larger families, meaning taller and more of em!

One consideration is giving up the foot of bed space. That would be a focus for many guys. I personally throw wet life jackets, beach crap, and the occasional honey-doo crap in the back. Have I ever "needed" the longer bed, no. Do I miss it, no. If you feel you would be in the same boat, then maybe a good idea especially being that 2013 is the last year of the current body style.

Reactions: AbsolutGT

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
mine listed at 43k and i got it for 35.5k new. that is around the mark down i would shoot for depending on what incentives are being given right now.

will you enjoy the CM more due to the room? yes

will you like having to never wash the silver unless you seriously want to? yes

will you like the non-ffv 4x4 5.7 that you can SC and i cannot? yes

just fyi, they did not make as many '13 models on purpose since they knew there was going to be a release model in '14. i dont see the typical give away deals that usually occur happening with the '13 tundra.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
One consideration is giving up the foot of bed space.
Yep, the DC is nice for carrying those 6x4 sheets of plywood :rolleyes:
With the CM, you have to leave the tailgate down.
Oh, and just because Dealer #1 has the truck you want, doesn't mean that Dealer #3 can't get it for you for a better price :D (dealer trades)
Yep. The dealer I finally went to, didn't have a base model 4wd 5.7 CM with tow pkg and a front bench seat. But they found 4 that came as close as possible and traveled 240 mi. to another dealer to pickup the one I picked. And they gave me a decent amount for my trade-in and still only charged me 32k for a new 2011. Not every dealer is that awesome or focussed on winning new customers, point is, they will find you a truck if they don't have it on the lot. If not, there's plenty of dealers out there.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys!

I've taken into considerations of how my DC can and will work, but I've just noticed with both car seats and day bags, we were pretty tight and that I had to scoot my seat up a little bc the car seat pushed on my seat a little.

Also, when I bought my truck I thought the 4.6 was fine, but being able to jump to a Crewmax 5.7 in either grey or silver would be great!

when I used truecar to buy my wife's new Altima, it was great bc I ended up getting three dealers to price cut each other and we had to drive 180 miles to get it, but the dealer paid for our gas there with a $50 gas card, and topped it off when we got there and gave two more $50 gift cards to cover the fuel home for both vehicles.

I was initially waiting out for the rumors of Toyota making a diesel tundra in 14, but since they nixed that, and I'm not a huge fan of the styling, I figure I should see if I could get a really good deal on the outgoing 13 models

good advice too guys, I was actually going to switch up and do a OME setup on the DC, so the TRD package isn't really worth it to me and I don't need any wheels as ill keep my wheels and tires, and the oem step bars are worthless to me.

All I really want for a new truck is tow package, and tow mirrors, bc don't need jbl stereo or any of the trd stuff

so hopefully I can find something without all the extra bells and whistles

Reactions: NIE_Cal

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am waiting for the 2015 model year. I don't think space is an issue with the double cab and my 3 kids. However, if mine were black and 4.6L, I would be more inclined to get something else. But not after only 2 years :).

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Yep, the DC is nice for carrying those 6x4 sheets of plywood :rolleyes:
With the CM, you have to leave the tailgate down.
Haha! :beerchug:

Tailgate down? Whaaaaaa????? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've tried convince my wife to get her a sweet new sport package Sienna, but shes not having it, since we just got her a new car and got her the wheels she wanted.

I've considered trading in my daily driver and get a Venza as well, but is rather have a new truck with a different color and bigger engine

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I've tried convince my wife to get her a sweet new sport package Sienna, but shes not having it, since we just got her a new car and got her the wheels she wanted.

I've considered trading in my daily driver and get a Venza as well, but is rather have a new truck with a different color and bigger engine
I got the CM thinking it would be the family mobile, but wife's Corolla was aging so she got that Sienna SE. It's pretty nice to drive and is decent on gas...looks good with the factory 19's too.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts