Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I am new to this site and new to my own Tundra. I worked with a guy that had a 2001 2wd SE and he loved it.
I am going to sign the papers on a 2000 Tundra v8 4x4 accsess cab TRD with 139,500 miles on it.
It was a Toyota dealer salesman's personal truck with all highway miles on it, all service at the dealership.
He, not long ago upgraded the exhaust, cleaned the injectors ect (at the dealership) and I will get free oil changes free for the life of this truck.
4x4 is good (no clicks or pops,both HI and LO) body has some scratches around the back end but the paint looks great. The bed has a spray in liner, interior is new looking. All of the little things that need to be fixed will be (lamp cover on the tail light, window latches on the pop outs, ---small things).
The tires are about at 50%, my only complaint about this truck is the seatbelt, it does not draw itself back in when I get out like it should.

How many miles can I expect from this rig only driving the kids to school now and then. A two horse trailer once a month 6 times a year?
I am talking about 6,000 a year total mileage at most.
Also is 15 mpg half city and country about right?
Thanks in advance, Columbia,SC

·
Banned
6,236 Posts
Hey all,
I am new to this site and new to my own Tundra. I worked with a guy that had a 2001 2wd SE and he loved it.
I am going to sign the papers on a 2000 Tundra v8 4x4 accsess cab TRD with 139,500 miles on it.
It was a Toyota dealer salesman's personal truck with all highway miles on it, all service at the dealership.
He, not long ago upgraded the exhaust, cleaned the injectors ect (at the dealership) and I will get free oil changes free for the life of this truck.
4x4 is good (no clicks or pops,both HI and LO) body has some scratches around the back end but the paint looks great. The bed has a spray in liner, interior is new looking. All of the little things that need to be fixed will be (lamp cover on the tail light, window latches on the pop outs, ---small things).
The tires are about at 50%, my only complaint about this truck is the seatbelt, it does not draw itself back in when I get out like it should.

How many miles can I expect from this rig only driving the kids to school now and then. A two horse trailer once a month 6 times a year?
I am talking about 6,000 a year total mileage at most.
Also is 15 mpg half city and country about right?
Thanks in advance, Columbia,SC
Welcome to the site first of all! In 1999 I purchased a 2000 SR5 V8 4x4 Tundra and up till April of 2007 I put 180,000 trouble free miles on her. It was running as strong as the day I bought it when I turned it over to the new owner.:) The 15 mpg you refered to is just about right on the money! You will have no problem towing your hourse trailer with that powerful 4.7 IForce V8! I changed the oil in mine every 3000 miles religiously and I believe that contributed to its long life and dependability. Sorry to say the weak seatbelt spring was an issue that many first gen Tundra owners experienced and I'm not sure there was ever a cure. You night wanna check Tundra Solutions is where you can research, discuss, price and repair your Toyota, Scion or Lexus on that one as they are based on the first gen Tundras. Good luck and great choice on a used truck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pics I hope!

Welcome and enjoy your ride. Post a pic when you can.

Here are a couple pics with my 8 MPG work truck in the background.. it is a 1986 GMC Vandura 3500 (78,000 miles) with a 14' box bed.
I got the Tundra to save a few gallons when picking up the kids and hauling the horse trailer, other than that we ride in the Sienna mini van.

·
Registered
122 Posts
blacks a nice color :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I had the same truck but a 2002. I put 155,000 miles and trouble free except for one Oxygen censor. Just put a leveling kit on it and change the oil and you'll get another 100,000 miles out of her.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
'Quote ltengine110'
I had the same truck but a 2002. I put 155,000 miles and trouble free except for one Oxygen censor.

Thanks that is what I was hoping to hear, am I the only one on the boards that owns a 'classic Tundra'? I feel like a poor man, all I can afford is a 2000. Everyone else seems to have a 2007 or better, lol

I have added a 'Delta Champion' black aluminum low profile tool box
(looks sweet) and plan to tint the windows this weekend.
Thanks for the replies, Columbia,SC

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
'Quote ltengine110'
I had the same truck but a 2002. I put 155,000 miles and trouble free except for one Oxygen censor.

Thanks that is what I was hoping to hear, am I the only one on the boards that owns a 'classic Tundra'? I feel like a poor man, all I can afford is a 2000. Everyone else seems to have a 2007 or better, lol

I have added a 'Delta Champion' black aluminum low profile tool box
(looks sweet) and plan to tint the windows this weekend.
Thanks for the replies, Columbia,SC
Man you're special to have a truck that no one has. Love the black and keep it up it will bring many memories to you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies

The loan is still in limbo because of the seller, the bank told me the money is ready and good to go. I went a little crazy and tinted the windows today and with the new tool box all I need is new rims! Hope the previous owner stands up to his part.
I will post new pics ASAP.
This is the only truck I have bought for myself in 18 years (last one was a used 1979 Dodge D-50, still have her), even though it is a 2000 it is still like brand new to me!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I forgot to add something about this truck.. I had a big old stump that was pushed up and forgoten about and left out in the pasture. I could not budge it with my tractor but this bad boy did not flinch with the chain hooked up to it!
I got to use my 4x4 in high, no need for low, plenty of power and oh baby it was like pulling a greased string out of a cats @ss!
Columbia,SC

·
Banned
945 Posts
Nice truck welcome to the forum I also purchase a 2000 Tundra Access cab in 1999 I also had the weak spring in the seat belt the only way to fix the issues is to have the seat belts replaced. I had little over 100k miles when it was totaled out in 2005 it's a great truck get those things you listed above fixed change the oil every 5,000 miles and it will run for ever.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
I forgot to add something about this truck.. I had a big old stump that was pushed up and forgoten about and left out in the pasture. I could not budge it with my tractor but this bad boy did not flinch with the chain hooked up to it!
I got to use my 4x4 in high, no need for low, plenty of power and oh baby it was like pulling a greased string out of a cats @ss!
Columbia,SC
Love the analogy....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts