Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tackled putting on 2.25" Top Gun Custom spacers this morning. Four hours into it, I got one on. Difficulty was getting everything spread apart enough to put the front strut back in with the 2.25" spacer in place. I almost gave up, then remembered I had a strut compression tool, it helped.

Problem is when I finally got the strut in place and the bottom bolt back in, I can't get the wheel hub to go back up, I have a jack under the a-arm with lift on it. But I think the axle isn't going back into the front diff. I must have pulled it applying so much down to get the strut back in place. How hard is that to get back into place??? I have turned the hub and lifted a hundred times, no luck.

Man the instructions said two hour simple install. No strut compression tool needed.

Any advice? I don't think any of our local mechanics make house calls.:eek:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Oh suck man. I was gonna do the same to mine next weekend. I look forward to hearing what it takes to figure this out. Where you at in WY?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thermop! I got it!:D Just had to push on the knuckle-hub, and rotate the hub, until the axle lined up and went together. Whew! Then I had to use a 6' frost bar to pry the upper a-arm down to get it all back together. On to the passenger side, should go a lot quicker.

I called my son in Atlanta, he worked for a Toyota off road shop for quite a while and he said I was on the right track, just stay with it. :mad:

The bolt/nut at the bottom of the strut was so tight I couldn't break it loose with a 450# electric impact, so I put a closed end on it and put my 6 ton jack under the wrench and jacked the wrench up until it broke loose.

Just make sure you take "all" of the break line brackets loose.

Good luck with yours! :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Passenger side took less than an hour. Key was a long pry bar. The 6' frost bar was invaluable. When I was finished, my 2.25" gave me over 3". More than I wanted but what do you do?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Glad to hear you got it figured. That's crazy you had to use a frost bar! Let's see some pics when you get around to it. Did you do a diff drop as well? I've got to do mine cuz I'm going to a 3" level.

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
Everything on mine came apart fine when I did my front swap. \

Electric impacts normally don't really do what they say they do, or at least not in my experience.

Glad you got it figured out, now wheres the pics?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As soon as I find my camera I will do a couple of pictures. I didn't use a diff. drop. Most of the posts I read here and info from the manufacturer, were no drops for less than 3". So I didn't. I took it for a drive and tried 4x4, everything seemed fine. I will keep an eye on it. Just need to get it aligned this week.

The frost bar made it easier, more gentle leverage. A 24" pry bar just wasn't enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts