Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new pioneer avhx4800 head unit. I had to run the USB cable out of my cup holders. I have the front bench style seat. Is there anyway to remove one of the cigarette lighter plugs or does anyone have a better suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that's what I need to make it look cleaner. Just can't figure out how to remove the original plug

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Thanks that's what I need to make it look cleaner. Just can't figure out how to remove the original plug

my advice is to smash it with a pair of pliers from the backside and pull it out. just try not to deform the opening in the plastic.

i've removed plenty of these and the "right" way still renders them basically unusable later on. there is even a little "T" shaped tool meant for removing them and it sucks.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Pull it from the back or out the front?

take a pair of channel locks and crimp the socket in the middle. then turn it and mash it again to make it smaller.

that or cut it off from the backside with a saw or dremel.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It is easy to remove the cigarette lighter without going crazy on the outlet and sleeve. There are four tabs, (2) that hold the outlet to sleeve and (2) the hold the sleeve to the panel. You would have to pry on the tabs for the outlet and sleeve first and push the outlet out of the sleeve (push the outlet from the back and then out the front). Then push the tabs on sleeve holding itself to the panel and push the sleeve out (push the sleeve from the back side and then out the front).

I shoulded have took pictures when I did mine. If you have enough patient to think it through, you would accomplish it without inducing anymore damage than you need.

·
Registered
309 Posts
These are the tabs that hold the outlet and sleeve together. You can PRY the tabs (2 total) and push the outlet through the front of the panel.

This is the inside of the outlet you can see the tabs (2 total) securing the outlet and sleeve together.

You can see the slot where the tabs where holding the sleeve and outlet together once you push the outlet forward.

Now to remove the sleeve from the panel.
You can PUSH on the tabs (2 total) and push the sleeve through the front of the panel.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I melted a hole in the back of the little cubby below the cig and 12v. You cant' even tell it is there. You can pull it out when using or push it back in when not.

I use those 12v for radar and phone chargers. Just a thought.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a good idea that's what I'm gonna do this weekend so I have both outkets

1 - 11 of 11 Posts