Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my truck about 9 months ago from a dealership, it has aftermarket wheels on it when I bought it, the wheels don't have the tpms in them and the light is on the dash. I have been told by a few different service shops that it was illegal for the dealership to sale me the truck without the sensors in the tires and the light on the dash, and I need to contact the dealer to have them install the sensors, has anyone else heard of this?

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
If you purchased the truck from a Toyota dealership then I would go back and have them put tpms in, if you bought it at some local non-toyota dealership then you are probably out of luck.

· Registered
167 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks there should be a way to display the tire pressures that the TPMS are reading?

My Jeep used to do this and so the TPMS seemed more useful. If you're not going to display to tire pressures, why not just use the ABS sensors (cheap way) to dectect low tires... ?

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Your vehicle, whether new or old, was sold to you with a TPMS. The sending units are missing, and hence the warning light is displayed. I don't believe the dealer sold it to you illegally, nor are they obliged to 'fix' anything. It is working as intended. See this NHTSA ruling:

"MIL" = Malfunction Indicator Lamp

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; TPMS; Controls and Displays. Final Rule.
Honda requested clarification as to whether it would be permissible to disable or to suppress the MIL when the TPMS sending units have been removed as a result of the replacement of the original equipment tires and rims with aftermarket components that are not compatible with the direct-sensing TPMS. Honda stated that it had previously received complaints from customers and dealers who encountered this situation and were confronted with a recurrent malfunction warning. The company expressed concern that if the MIL cannot be suppressed in these situations, consumers may become desensitized to MILs generally, which could have negative implications for occupant safety. NADA provided a similar comment.

We do not believe it is appropriate to permit disablement of the MIL when aftermarket tires and rims are installed on the vehicle that are not compatible with the continued proper functioning of the TPMS. In such cases, the TPMS MIL is performing its intended function. We believe that the MIL should continue to operate when tires and rims that are incompatible with the TPMS are mounted on the vehicle, not only to discourage such actions, but also to provide an ongoing reminder that the TPMS is unavailable to provide low tire pressure warnings.

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks there should be a way to display the tire pressures that the TPMS are reading?

My Jeep used to do this and so the TPMS seemed more useful. If you're not going to display to tire pressures, why not just use the ABS sensors (cheap way) to dectect low tires... ?
Not sure what the liability would be by displaying the tire pressure using TPMS. It is only required to update every 10 minutes. It may have to have a label saying "TPMS readings in this display may appear higher than they actually are" :lol5:

· Registered
1,093 Posts
I bought my truck about 9 months ago from a dealership, it has aftermarket wheels on it when I bought it, the wheels don't have the tpms in them and the light is on the dash. I have been told by a few different service shops that it was illegal for the dealership to sale me the truck without the sensors in the tires and the light on the dash, and I need to contact the dealer to have them install the sensors, has anyone else heard of this?
If I were the selling dealer I'd offer my apology and a quality tire pressure gauge. Doubtful they will install new sensors though, nor should they be legally obligated to.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I were the selling dealer I'd offer my apology and a quality tire pressure gauge. Doubtful they will install new sensors though, nor should they be legally obligated to.
That's what I hope they will do, called and left a message for the use car manager just waiting for a call back.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The TPMS and the valve stems are one in the same. You can buy a set from Toyota and have them installed. Even COSTCO tried to sell me new ones when I had new tires installed.
I know I can buy them my self and pay to have them installed but that's around $900, if the dealership where i bought my truck doesn't give them to me Iam going to buy them when I buy new wheels and tires.

· Registered
2,401 Posts
I know I can buy them my self and pay to have them installed but that's around $900, if the dealership where i bought my truck doesn't give them to me Iam going to buy them when I buy new wheels and tires.
On eBay, new they are around $25 a corner. If you pop for used they are around $15 a corner. You should be abler to get a set of 4 for around $70.
My local tire shop installed one for $10.

Who quoted you $900?

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On eBay, new they are around $25 a corner. If you pop for used they are around $15 a corner. You should be abler to get a set of 4 for around $70.
My local tire shop installed one for $10.

Who quoted you $900?
Toyota dealership by my house, they were $210 a tire installed and programed plus tax, It was $890 all said and done.

· Registered
7 Posts
it depends on the laws of your state. here in PA tpms is not part of the safety inspection. the light can be on and it can still be passed as safe. best bet is to just buy a new set and be done.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it depends on the laws of your state. here in PA tpms is not part of the safety inspection. the light can be on and it can still be passed as safe. best bet is to just buy a new set and be done.
That would prob be the easiest and least frustrating to do instead of going back in forth with the STEALERSHIP.

· Registered
85 Posts
$900 is way excessive. They don't need programming. They come pre-set to certain pressures. They just have to match the frequency your receiver is. You should be able to get a complete set for $100.

· Registered
2,401 Posts
$900 is way excessive. They don't need programming. They come pre-set to certain pressures. They just have to match the frequency your receiver is. You should be able to get a complete set for $100.
Each sender has a unique ID you need to program in to the TPMS on the truck. If your local tire place doesn't do this for you, you can buy your own TechStream cable and software for $35 and do it yourself - or have a local fellow TT user program it for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.