Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a deal too good to pass up on a 40" rigid flood/spot combo bar that was originally purchased in Feb '13. Long story short, the bar was wired up to the back of a camper shell on the original owners Tundra. The supplied Rigid wiring harness wasn't long enough to wire to this location so he got a thicker gage wire and lengthened the harness and ran it from the back of the truck to the front.

It would have been a nightmare to pull the wires out from the camper shell and body so what I got was the bar, the side mounting brackets, the Rigid lighted switch and the relay. The wires coming off of the bar are plugged into one end of the factory harness but cut off about 9" after the plug with only a red and black wire present. The 9" leads were hooked up to a power supply and all lights are perfect.

I'm hoping someone can assist me (please take a look at pics) and let me know a step by step process to install the bar. I can't find a thread on step by step, a youtube video or schematics....:banghead:

Yes, I understand I can buy another wiring harness but what fun would that be?! It can't be too difficult, I'm hoping someone with more electrical expertise with these bars can walk me thru it.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Black wire to ground
Red wire to pole 30 on relay
Power from any source (doesn't need to be high current) to one side of the switch
Other side of the switch to pole 86 on the relay
Ground to 85 on relay
Fused power straight from the battery to 87 on the relay

You can get power for the switch from any source since it is just being used to flip the relay it doesn't matter what you tie into, if you are mounting the switch into your dash a good place to grab power would be the cig lighter the wires are easy to get to and switched with the ignition so the light bar won't turn on unless the key is on that way you can't accidentally leave it on when you park the truck, (although the blinding light coming from the front of the truck would probably get your attention anyway) if you want it to come on all the time then wire the switch into a constant powered source.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Black wire to ground
Red wire to pole 30 on relay
Power from any source (doesn't need to be high current) to one side of the switch
Other side of the switch to pole 86 on the relay
Ground to 85 on relay
Fused power straight from the battery to 87 on the relay

You can get power for the switch from any source since it is just being used to flip the relay it doesn't matter what you tie into, if you are mounting the switch into your dash a good place to grab power would be the cig lighter the wires are easy to get to and switched with the ignition so the light bar won't turn on unless the key is on that way you can't accidentally leave it on when you park the truck, (although the blinding light coming from the front of the truck would probably get your attention anyway) if you want it to come on all the time then wire the switch into a constant powered source.

Thanks brother, I appreciate the information and details. Now just need to find out where to mount it! Seen the grille/bumper,roof options so I need to decide on one of those or go with a new spot. Couldn't pass up a 40" double row Rigid spot/flood combo bar for $400 though!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Thanks brother, I appreciate the information and details. Now just need to find out where to mount it! Seen the grille/bumper,roof options so I need to decide on one of those or go with a new spot. Couldn't pass up a 40" double row Rigid spot/flood combo bar for $400 though!
Damn! That's a great price. I search Craigslist and eBay all the time looking for some led lights, haven't stumbled on a deal like that yet. Great buy enjoy it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn! That's a great price. I search Craigslist and eBay all the time looking for some led lights, haven't stumbled on a deal like that yet. Great buy enjoy it!

I actually looked at the ad to check out his camper to see if it was the same as my snugtop and included in the ad was the price for the rigid bar. Drove a couple hours to get it today but he was a great guy who happened to have an incredible expedition one front bumper with winch! I was jealous.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
$400 is a great deal, congrats! Post pics when you get that bad boy on.

·
Registered
112 Posts
in for pics

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Figured I would enjoy it better if I just made my own mount bar for the Rigid 40". I used 1 1/4" galvanized steel for the horizontal, 1/2" galvanized steel for the mounting supports. I bent the mounting supports to the radius needed for mounting the front bumper structural support beam, removed the black plastic valance and mig welded the mounts into the horizontal mounting bar. When fully built, I plast-dipped the build and mounted it. Couldn't be happier!

Purchased the supplies from Lowes and now I have my own bar that I built and know is secure and structurally sound! I mounted the rigid LED bar face appx 1" behind the front edge of the built light bar mount so if by chance I ever 'pop' something, the bar would take the hit before the light bar. Total length of the mount is 43" with caps put on both ends and mig welded for strength.

Started at 5pm on Thursday and finished up Saturday morning. Perfect height for me, works great. No night pics of the light in action yet, will post when I take them.

Overall, very happy with the build and the functionality. Wouldn't be able to make more though without the truck to take exact measurements and besides, it was a PITA!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Looks great man, JJ are my initials as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts