Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally been able to take some time off of work and I'll be able to do some DIY projects on my tundra. The first and biggest project I have is installing these shims and shackles that I got from coachbuilder.

I've tried to search and find a good DIY thread or post for installing these shims and I have a few I could look at but want to know if anyone has some advice they'll like to share with me before I try to tackle this install. I have coachbuilders video to install the shackles and was wondering if I would really have to go rent a bushing press or would I be able to get it out without one.

This is my first time working on my Tundra, but I have some experience working on my Acura and think I am pretty hands on. Just looking for advice so I don't waste my time, I would like to tackle this project in one day if possible. I have a two sets of metric ratchets, a breaker bar, 10 ton jack, 4 jack stands, vice grips a few other tools. If there's anything I'm missing please let me know! Thank you

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've finally been able to take some time off of work and I'll be able to do some DIY projects on my tundra. The first and biggest project I have is installing these shims and shackles that I got from coachbuilder.

I've tried to search and find a good DIY thread or post for installing these shims and I have a few I could look at but want to know if anyone has some advice they'll like to share with me before I try to tackle this install. I have coachbuilders video to install the shackles and was wondering if I would really have to go rent a bushing press or would I be able to get it out without one.

This is my first time working on my Tundra, but I have some experience working on my Acura and think I am pretty hands on. Just looking for advice so I don't waste my time, I would like to tackle this project in one day if possible. I have a two sets of metric ratchets, a breaker bar, 10 ton jack, 4 jack stands, vice grips a few other tools. If there's anything I'm missing please let me know! Thank you
Easiest thing to do is burn them out. Literally just torch them out and be done. No press, no dropping the leafs, no paying someone more money. A lot of shops burn them out when they install new bushings as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just added the Toytec shackles set at 1.5" (max) to my truck last weekend along with the poly bushings for the lead spring upgrade. I used a ball joint press and an electric impact wrench. Kid you not...it pushed out the bushings in no less than 10 secs a side each. I was utterly amazed. You read enough about it in this forum but to actually do it and see how easy it is....unbelievable. Go rent the press (I bought one off Amazon for 50 bucks if you want one...very useful for other things) and have access to a impact wrench.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
i used a press and heat with my snap on impact and it still was a pita. depends on the truck, could be easy could be hard, just be prepared.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm assuming you bought the drop brackets with the shackles - do those first that way you don't have to worry about over-extending your brake lines/ABS lines. I didn't see anyone discuss these. Brake-lines - you've got to bend the hard lines attached to the axle and I rotated one of the brake line clamps/brackets on the axle to get enough length. ABS - you can gain enough length by just pulling on the ABS lines.

On my 2008 I had to pull the leaf spring in order to press out the old bushings. If you're in the rust belt and the truck is new, be prepared for that. If you use a socket just smaller than the leaf eye its easy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Installed the +3 shackles on my TRD pro and bearing drop kit. Here are a few tips

* When you press out the bearings make sure it is aligned straight so it does not leave the metal housing in place
* If you press out the rubber bushing and the metal housing does not come out use a saws all and a punch
* lube everything and anything on the new bushings and use the press * double check to make sure its straight
* The +3 shackle will not slide in without pressing the leaf spring down
* Use the jack that the truck comes with between the leaf spring and the frame to lower it a few cm's. The leaf springs will press the exhaust down a bit when you do this and stretch the exhaust hangers but it will be fine.
* Use jack stands on each side of the drive shaft when you install the bearing drop kit. It is super easy to adjust where the stands are to adjust the height once you remove the screws.

Love the look and the ride is a lot better on gravel and rough terrain! My bed/truck vibrated on gravel and logging roads before at certain speeds and it was unbearable but now I can tear them up at high speeds no problem. On road I can feel a little less roll at low speeds and possibly a little stiffness but I am not seeing a huge change there. I will be installing the shims and tire rods this weekend and do a write up.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Is it necessary to replace the bushings when replacing the shackles? On my last truck, I did not replace the bushings with the shackles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.