Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
Mind explaining why?
I don't know why. They fail early and often vs a flooded battery so we quit using them.

I kind of mistated, I don't do batteries for a living, I sell equipment that runs on batteries and the Gel Batteries don't hold up.

·
Registered
739 Posts
FYI ... I bought a Duralast Gold/Battery from Autozone... 7 year warranty. :rolleyes:

It was replaced in 2. the next one held strong till I sold it 2 yrs later.

Grain of salt info. Take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
28 Posts
batteries

I've had several Interstate's years ago and I thought they were the best batteries I've ever put in a car. For some reason though, I seem to end up with Sears Die Hards. (I've got two brand new spare Die Hard's on my workbench right now as a matter of fact.) I assume that this is most likely because I only buy a battery when mine has completely died and I'm too freaked out trying to get my car running again to think about other brands. Sears is just too convenient and I can't seem to find anything to complain about Die Hard Batteries anyway. I just bought another one yesterday for my wife's Honda CR-V. I put a Die Hard in it less than eight months ago. It completely shorted out, don't know why. It tripped their breakers twice when they tried to charge it, so they said it was worn out and replaced it free of charge under the 2 year, full replacement warranty. This is the first time I've had any problems with any battery that was less than 7-8 years old.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I have a 10 year old AGM type battery from Turbo-Start Battery in New Castle, PA, in a 1960's style AutoLite case to spin the big block 390 of my 1966 Ford. Never fails to crank (hasn't even started spinning slower) and lives on a Battery Tender Plus when the car is not on the road. I also put the battery on my basement workbench for the winter every year so it has never gone below freezing.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Last night I was about to buy a Diehard battery online and the wife said, "What about Interstate batteries?" I went to the Interstate website and found that the garage that does all my repairs sells them. I called them up this morning and ordered one and pick it up after work tonight. I'd have bought an OEM battery but the damned things leak all over the place even if they do go for several years.

I've had too many bad experiences with Sears to feel comfortable dealing with them. I do like Diehard batteries but try not to spend a dime with Sears.

Slim, I have heard gel batteries are fussy and require special treatment. Been reading up on them and agree that they are best avoided. I hear the AGM batteries are very good but cost twice as much and have the same warranty as regular lead/acid batteries.

Thank you all for the help and keep the good information coming. I'm always eager to learn more and hear of good/bad experiences.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If I recall, most vehicle batteries are made by 2 major companies; Johnson Controls and East Penn...

Granted their are smaller companies, but these are the most common.. From what I have found, batteries are a 50/50 chance... You might end up with one that last 5+ years or a dude with 2 years... Key thing get the one with the best replacement warranty..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Don't let your local Sears experiences deter you from getting the best battery.

Diehard Platinum. Highly recommend!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a optima before and did last for many years only problem is they tell you is if you ever need to charge it you have to use a special charger. My stock battery is now 4 years old so I will need to make a decision soon as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We abuse batteries in in the off-road arena. I did off road rock crawling recovery work for years with heavy drain many times a day. Optima moved manufacturing years ago to Mexico and the quality suffered, it's documented heavily on the Jeep websites, and I speak from direct experience. Odyssey Batteries are the clear favorite for the last 5 years or so. Sears Platinum is a rebadged Odyssey batt. Great product. Do some googling and you'll plenty of user validation.

Longevity and durability. My jeeps sits sometimes for 6 or 8 weeks without running, then gets abused lol, and put away wet as they say. I'm at 5 years on this Sears Platinum and have drained it twice to dead. Still going strong.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I do batteries for a living. Stay away from Gel Batteries.
can you please educate us on this GEL batteries?

i have the die hard platinum on my truck
after having used the stock battery for 5 years. i just thought it was time.
and i was going to take a trip to where the climate is below 20° and did
not want to risk getting stranded due to an old battery.
it performed flawlessly

·
Registered
808 Posts
Last night I was about to buy a Diehard battery online and the wife said, "What about Interstate batteries?" I went to the Interstate website and found that the garage that does all my repairs sells them.
My buddy owned a garage that sold interstate batteries so I bought one from him. He warned me that the problem with these batteries is that local garages might not turn them over as quick as Sears or Autozone and you could get one that was unnecessarily older. I got a fresh one. Still, I didn't have much luck with it.

I have had more luck with Diehard batteries... which is also sold at Kmart.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
I had a optima before and did last for many years only problem is they tell you is if you ever need to charge it you have to use a special charger. My stock battery is now 4 years old so I will need to make a decision soon as well.
All you have to watch out for is a leaking battery. Other than that, the stock battery will last around 5 years, give or take.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts