Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 2011 Rock Warrior Crewmax about 3 weeks ago. When I bought it, I noticed this and brought it up to the dealer, and he said it was common and easy to replace.
It is a small "rash" looking thing on the plastic molding between the front and rear doors/windows.
SO........

A. Does anybody else have this issue?
B. What causes this?
C. How can this be fixed? (cleaning solution, replace piece)

I have done some research but can't really find any info. Not exactly sure what that piece is called.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
I Kick Hippies
1,274 Posts
wouldn't say it's common but is easy to replace. it's just a black sticker. the dealer will heat it up, peel off and install a new one.

Reactions: danoh

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
So I bought a 2011 Rock Warrior Crewmax about 3 weeks ago. When I bought it, I noticed this and brought it up to the dealer, and he said it was common and easy to replace.
It is a small "rash" looking thing on the plastic molding between the front and rear doors/windows.
SO........

A. Does anybody else have this issue?
B. What causes this?
C. How can this be fixed? (cleaning solution, replace piece)

I have done some research but can't really find any info. Not exactly sure what that piece is called.

Thanks guys.
A. Not that I've ever heard of or seen - definately not "common"
B. Unknown
C. Peel it off and replace, or peel it off and leave it off. There's paint under it. It's like a sticker.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wouldn't say it's common but is easy to replace. it's just a black sticker. the dealer will heat it up, peel off and install a new one.

Any Idea where I can order the "sticker" and how much it costs. If it really is just a heat/peel/replace project, might be easier to do myself than deal with driving to dealer, bitching and waiting.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Any Idea where I can order the "sticker" and how much it costs. If it really is just a heat/peel/replace project, might be easier to do myself than deal with driving to dealer, bitching and waiting.
I sell pre-cut strips of it in gloss black or matte black for $10 per strip and you need 4 strips to do a Tundra. It's "apply and trim". VERY easy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you're looking for the factory replacement, they're called Blackout Tape. Toyota sells it as a left and right set.

Part number 759220C020 is for the left side, 759210C020 for the right side, $25 per side.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
You could just peel it off and see if you like it. Some guys take it off but usually on black and red I believe.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
If the damage is only on the tape, the fix is simple. Looking at your pictures, it seems to me that the damage goes deeper than the tape. I would definitely have the dealer take care of the problem.

·
Premium Member
39,325 Posts
Looks like some Einstein tried to put touch up paint on it as well

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
If you have a car wrap place nearby, they'll have different colors/options for you to choose probably for cheaper. I just replaced the stock satin black myself a couple days ago with gloss black. Very easy to do.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I sell pre-cut strips of it in gloss black or matte black for $10 per strip and you need 4 strips to do a Tundra. It's "apply and trim". VERY easy.

May take you up on that? If I just get the one strip, will it match the others?

·
Registered
261 Posts
May take you up on that? If I just get the one strip, will it match the others?
Just peel it off and original paint is under...

An older pic of my truck but I peeled mine off sometime last year

Attachments

Reactions: MaylonTRD

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Peeled mine off and ain't goin' back.

It's a one banana job really. I just left in sun for about an hour and peeled it right off. No residue, nothing.

Reactions: MaylonTRD

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Just peel it off and original paint is under...

An older pic of my truck but I peeled mine off sometime last year
Peeled mine off and ain't goin' back.

It's a one banana job really. I just left in sun for about an hour and peeled it right off. No residue, nothing.
Both of these trucks look good with it taken off.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. If I ever have a question these forums always guide me in the right direction.

I went home and peeled off the tape and after some goo gone there is just a little spot now. I actually like it with the tape better so I am going to order some and re-apply. I think the new tape will cover up the blemish. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
put some touch up paint on it then recover it, its called black out tape. my dealership charged me $115 to install one panel on the passenger front door due to damage from a garage when i got my windows tinted

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
put some touch up paint on it then recover it, its called black out tape. my dealership charged me $115 to install one panel on the passenger front door due to damage from a garage when i got my windows tinted
I ordered the replacement tape online. Was $30 for the two strips on drivers side. Don't get me started on dealership. I had a pretty amusing story with them last week when I asked to "activate" my alarm. And my wife got robbed at the honda dealership just yesterday. Paid $120 to install cabin and air filter. Needless to say she got a talking too. I showed her how easy it was to do (and wanted to check if they actually got replaced) and she was amazed that she basically paid $75 in labor for 2 minutes of work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts