Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Tundra Crew Max Platinum 33,000 miles, driving along at about 70 and all of a sudden all dash warning lights and gauges flash and the truck shuts down. Had to fight to get it into the breakdown lane without getting rearended. Will turnover but shuts right back down. It's on the flatbead tow truck on the way to the dealer now. Anyone know WHY? Help a brother out. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Shutdown

Did you have any work recently done where

I once had an amp installed in my Tacoma and while running the line to through the firewall to connect with the battery the jackass mech cut the line to the alternator.

My truck ran for about 6 hrs just off battery power until the battery was completely dead and I had the exact same thing happen to me...65 MPH on a highway and everything went dead...

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Hold tight and let the dealer do its job

·
Banned
65 Posts
i had a durango that would do something similar. it would fire but wouldnt stay running. it was the battery. it was explained to me that if you short the fuel pump on voltage, the pump will shut off. i put a new battery in and problem gone. i know that was dodge and we are talking toyota but thats the experience i had.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
2010 Tundra Crew Max Platinum 33,000 miles, driving along at about 70 and all of a sudden all dash warning lights and gauges flash and the truck shuts down. Had to fight to get it into the breakdown lane without getting rearended. Will turnover but shuts right back down. It's on the flatbead tow truck on the way to the dealer now. Anyone know WHY? Help a brother out. Thanks
Well, it's still under warranty so you should be OK no matter what it is. It could be almost anything from a loose ground wire to something serious in the engine. The only way to know is to hook up a scanner and find out what it is unhappy about.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just picked up at lunch

Somehow Volant airbox came loose and sucked up a bunch of pollen and crap thats flying around in the air this time of year in New England. It sucked up enough to clug the mass air fow sensor which in turn shut the engine down. Not factory airbox = 1 hour labor charge from dealer. Lesseon learned, I will be checking air box reguraly this time of year from now on. Air box has been on for 3 years with no issues ever so not sure why all of a sudden it came loose???? Tech said they check factory airboxes when doing oil changes but they don't check after market ones, so clean your airboxes

·
Registered
357 Posts
IM sorry but that's BS. I have had the same intake for 3 years and the maf was caked in mud once before.
And never shut down. Only thing that will shut the engine down and then when restarting shut it down again is the oil level.

Nothing you can do now, and there's no damage but just so everyone knows low oil level will shut it down and prevent it from running.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Does the volant CAI use an oiled filter? My buddy has a 1st gen that kept dying on him and sure enough it was a bad MAF sensor. Cleaning it wasnt enough though, and replacing it cured the problem.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It uses a dry power core filter. I have swapped my dry filter for a oiled k&n

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
IM sorry but that's BS. I have had the same intake for 3 years and the maf was caked in mud once before.
And never shut down. Only thing that will shut the engine down and then when restarting shut it down again is the oil level.

Nothing you can do now, and there's no damage but just so everyone knows low oil level will shut it down and prevent it from running.
Not sure the oil level will shut it down. Someone here had the dealer forget to add the new oil after a change and drove it off the lot.

Found it...He had ZERO oil pressure.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu.../118139-no-oil-dipstick-how-much-oil-pan.html

Reactions: Bad Dad's Camrys

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
not bashing here, but the stock intake is a CAI and works perfect.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i received a recall letter of sorts that mentioned a similar problem. However it mentioned "limp mode" not complete loss of power and ability to stay on. it is for 2012-2013models. but who knows it could be something related. says it has to do with the"ECM Software" (engine control module).

"the ecm calibration may cause an emissions control component called the Air Injection Pump to fail under certain driving conditions. If this occurs, the vehicle could enter a "fail-safe" mode aka limp mode. the reduces power ...blahblah.. immediate repair.

best of luck man. id shit bricks if my truck just crapped out like that

1 - 14 of 14 Posts